bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Sep 2012, 09:42   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Adapteva Parallella promises pocket-sized supercomputing

16 or 64 cores of parallel processing goodness alongside a dual-core CPU, in a board the size of the Raspberry Pi? Interesting...
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...a-parallella/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2012, 10:24   #2
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Bet this would be great for folding.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2012, 13:07   #3
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman
Bet this would be great for folding.
bet this would be great for almost anything computer related!
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2012, 15:31   #4
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i'd get some if i had a need and budget fo custom made software. i dont. surely by the time you spend 50k developing your software... you could have bout some bulldozers.
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2012, 17:02   #5
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Given the press this is getting I was hoping they would have a wider range of examples available online. The performance is promising but the specific details are a bit vague. How does one of these 64 cores compare to say a core in dual/quad core ARM for example? They've shown off a simple math example, but how about something that's a bit more 'Wow!' guys.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2012, 01:11   #6
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
Not impressed at all! Look at the video, is uber SLOW !
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2012, 07:36   #7
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius
Not impressed at all! Look at the video, is uber SLOW !
Yeah, but it doesn't have the GPU muscle the RPi does. It'd be great for...uh...um...hm. Let me get back to you on that. :P
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2012, 17:44   #8
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
For $100, that is actually pretty cheap and a better value than almost any other ARM platform.

The problem is if the performance-per-watt is worth it. An intel or possibly AMD system might be a better choice in the end. Lets hope phoronix tests this out, they did a pandaboard cluster pitted against some intel processors and didn't prove to be a better investment, although it wasn't explicitly worse either.

Since this new board has all these cores on 1 system, it's bound to have much better ppw than the pandaboard cluster.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2012, 07:10   #9
Roskoken
Multimodder

Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Playing pretty fast and loose with the term "super computer" I think.
Roskoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2012, 08:13   #10
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskoken
Playing pretty fast and loose with the term "super computer" I think.
^^^^^

If this is a super computer, what's mine? Future technology?
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapteva, andreas olofsson, epiphany, epiphany-iii, epiphany-iv, gpio, kickstarter, microcomputer, parallel processing, parallella, raspberry pi