bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 5th Oct 2012, 13:31   #1
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

B NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
[Build Log] Mil-Spec *Stick a fork in her,she is done...*

It seems my SR2 build has drawn some attention and as a result i have been contacted by a guy wanting me to build him a nice gaming rig for his son for Christmas.

So i specced him a nice machine that can play games all day long for a reasonable price.

No watercooling of the custom nature on this one,a H100 is going in as i cant rely on the customer changing fluids etc...he is not an enthusiast of watercooling but he is interested in it so im keeping it simple for now,he can upgrade to a custom loop later....maybe an XSPC D5 Raystorm kit.

So......the specs......

Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, Retail

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0, DisplayPort/ HDMI, ATX

3GB EVGA GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+, 28nm, PCIe 3.0, 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 980MHz, Boost 1059MHz, Cores 1344, w/ Backplate

Corsair Vengeance C70 High Airflow Military Green Mid Tower Gaming Case with Side Window USB 3.0 2x120mm Fan w/o PSU

750W Corsair Pro Series Gold AX750, Modular, 90% Eff', 80 PLUS Gold, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX, PSU

Corsair H100 Hydro Series Extreme Performance CPU cooler, S775/1155/1156/1366/2011/AM2/AM3

120GB Kingston HyperX, 2.5" SSD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SandForce, MLC-Flash, Read 555MB/s, Write 510MB/s, 85k IOPS Max

1.5TB Seagate ST1500DL003 Barracuda LP, SATA 6Gb/s, 5900rpm, 64MB Cache, 8ms OEM NCQ

120mm Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition, High Pressure, 2350rpm, 62.74CFM, 35dB, 3-Pin, Twin Pack

Corsair Memory Vengeance Green 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Quad Channel

The case is having some minor modding done,panel swap for a clear window with no fan mounts,lights....all your favorites.

This is not going to be a drawn out log,this will be turned around in a week or so.

Nice little gaming rig i think,You?

Last edited by B NEGATIVE; 6th Nov 2012 at 15:37.
B NEGATIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2012, 13:36   #2
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
thats one sweet christmas present. nicest dad ever?
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2012, 13:39   #3
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

B NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by [PUNK] crompers View Post
thats one sweet christmas present. nicest dad ever?

Why didnt my dad buy me stuff like this??

I got given a budget of 1200 to spec it,i think i have done well to get all that under the budget really.
Old 5th Oct 2012, 15:00   #4
Vetalar
*learning english*

Vetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And what about LC for GPU? novadays gpu are much louder than cpu coolers in general. Would you considet to replace stock fan with smth silent: closed loop LC or good aftermarket gpu cooler like arctic cooling?

send from my BLADE via tapatalk
Vetalar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2012, 15:23   #5
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
And what about LC for GPU? novadays gpu are much louder than cpu coolers in general. Would you considet to replace stock fan with smth silent: closed loop LC or good aftermarket gpu cooler like arctic cooling?

send from my BLADE via tapatalk

Perhaps...
You have to bear in mind that i want this as reliable as possible with as many warranties intact as possible.
If it was mine? everything would be underwater....
Old 5th Oct 2012, 16:51   #6
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Moved to modding for now as per rules
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2012, 17:26   #7
KayinBlack
I Endure

KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.KayinBlack is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ice Dragon and Mayhems Pastel pretty much don't need to be changed. Just tossing that out there. I have clients who I built watercooled builds that were great, and I have them that it was pissing on the board in a week. I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Quit chopping up the locals to make tools.-Cheapskate
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2012, 18:20   #8
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayinBlack View Post
Ice Dragon and Mayhems Pastel pretty much don't need to be changed. Just tossing that out there. I have clients who I built watercooled builds that were great, and I have them that it was pissing on the board in a week. I'm sure you understand what I mean.
They suffer from wall action and leave deposits that do need cleaning eventually.
Its something that can be done at a later date,its the watercooling from my current build that drew him in in the first place so its on his mind.
As it stands now,the H100 is plenty for him,the case can take 2 240 rads so a full loop is well within its capabilities later down the line.

Saying that,this little case has some modding potential......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
Moved to modding for now as per rules
Apologies,it will be pretty much done this weekend anyway.

Last edited by B NEGATIVE; 5th Oct 2012 at 18:32.
Old 5th Oct 2012, 18:44   #9
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'll stick it back in project logs when you start the
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2012, 17:09   #10
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

I cracked on today,this is the case...Corsair C70 in green.
I am a big fan of this case now for the lovely little touches i will show later.

So,this is the case in its empty glory.

The 2 fans on the HDD cage,these are not staying.

This one is not staying either.

One of the nice touches with this case,decent cable management!!

Both cages come out,very nice indeed.

Dont worry,the red is not stayig either.

Again,someone was thinking,cable routing for the external fans.

Rubber grommets for the fan mounts.

Now,to the meaty center....

Z77 Sabertooth.

TUF Armor inserts.

1155 Ivybridge i5 3570k

CPU in.

8Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM

Black PCB cheesecake

Corsair H100.

Easy as pie to install this.

I have sprayed the rings yellow,they contrast nicely with the rest of the build and show up well thru the mesh of the case.

AX750 installed

EVGA 660Ti Installed.

Very nice card with the EVGA backplate,goes so well with this build!

Looking good so far!

Wiring tomorrow and the rest of the mods to be done during the week when the acrylic and lights turn up.

Would you like this for Christmas?
Old 6th Oct 2012, 19:48   #11
Jeti
Minimodder

Jeti has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks sweet. Some lucky kid gonna be happy come Dec 25th. Stock case? Hmm. Judging by the SR build it was never gonna stay stock.
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2012, 23:42   #12
FatPandas
Minimodder

FatPandas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice build man. I like your colour scheme too. Might be a little overkill but maybe some simple white decals (vinyl stickers) or something on the side like Z77 to run with the military theme?
FatPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2012, 12:10   #13
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPandas View Post
Nice build man. I like your colour scheme too. Might be a little overkill but maybe some simple white decals (vinyl stickers) or something on the side like Z77 to run with the military theme?
I just ordered some clear inkjet sticker sheets up for that very purpose.

Intake warning stickers and Military ID stickers i think will set it off nicely.
Nothing too over the top mind,just some nice detail bits like the back of fans etc

Got the rig wired up this morning so just the last bits of modding to be done.

Dont mind the fan headers,they are waiting for a controller.

That window has to go...

I have asked a few WC manufacturers if they want to get involved by sponsoring a loop,you never know unless you ask!

XD

So,to finish up...

New window with no fan mounts.

Some sort of LED strip light.

Stealth a DVD drive in to it.

Fan controller....im thinking a Bitfenix Recon.

Then its on to the OS install,setup and then a good burn in.
I will bench this rig,will be nice to see what this can squeeze out.
Old 7th Oct 2012, 12:24   #14
KrunchR
Supermodder

KrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Looking good, dude!
KrunchR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2012, 13:32   #15
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice little build that, always good to play with some new toys, even when not for yourself :-)
Old 8th Oct 2012, 14:00   #16
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

I have my modding trousers on today..

What do you think? Too much?
Old 10th Oct 2012, 17:00   #17
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

Well,my prayers have been answered!
XSPC and Specialtech are getting involved yet again!
Seems there will be a proper loop going in after all...buh bye H100,hello more hardlined lovelyness!!!

After speaking to the Dad,letting him know the good news,he then decided a second 660 needs to go in.
He has been following the build and reading other threads.....he now has the OVERKILL gene that we all share!
So,expect super clean piping and super clean hardware.

No GPU watercooling yet,I have to leave the lad SOMETHING to do dont i.

Again,many thanks to the two Pauls at XSPC and much love to the guys at Specialtech.
Not forgetting Namron and Skully from the Specialtech Forums for the spare kit they were willing to trade or donate.

Pics will come as the kit gets here.

Old 11th Oct 2012, 12:39   #18
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

The first bits start to arrive.

Specialtech were quick off the line as usual,with this beauty.

Namron was also speedy with this contribution.

This will be used if I cant get a D5.

Now....i want to wrap the hold down pieces in Di Noc..or spray them yellow also.

I prefer DiNoc for these small detail pieces myself so thats probably how i will go.

Thanks Again to....

Old 11th Oct 2012, 15:26   #19
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

DiNoc!

Doing the edges is a right pain but you have to do it to carry it off.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 15:55   #20
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

Done!

Im debating as to DiNoc the center piece or spray it yellow or just leave it be......

View Mode