bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Oct 2012, 12:27   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD details 'Hondo' Z-60 APU

Could struggle to stand out against Intel's Clover Trail Atoms...
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...d-hondo-z-60/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 12:42   #2
Narishma
Multimodder

Narishma has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What's the difference between this and the C-50 and C-60 you find in some cheap netbooks?
Narishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 13:07   #3
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelazazel1024 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Best I can tell is the C-50/60 are higher voltage and/or higher leakage parts. I believe their TDPs are more in the 7-8w range. I don't believe there is much difference other than that.

It basically sounds like somewhat better graphics than Clover trail (DX11 support among other things), but at the expense of probably slower compute (Bobcat cores are clock for clock only a little faster than atom right now, but Clover trail can run its two cores at something like 1.5Ghz compared to 1Ghz, which should be more than enough to stay ahead of the Z-60). Also a lot higher power draw. That 4.5w TDP doesn't take in to account the extra .2-.5w of the FCH, which Clovertrail doesn't have to deal with as it is a true SoC, which Hondo isn't.

So yeah, it sounds like in typical use you'll probably see roughly 30-50% less battery life. Not so good. Also having to pay for a two chip solution means it probably isn't going to be much cheaper than a Clovertrail solution, especially since Intel sounds like they are going pretty cut price on it to get tablet market share from ARM. I can't imagine too many manufacturers are going to be itching to save $5 or MAYBE $10 off the BOM of their laptop...and have to suffer significantly less battery life, more heat AND more space (again, 2 chip solution).

If you want to recoup the battery life, it requires a fairly substantially larger battery, which makes a bigger heavier laptop and probably increases the BOM at least a much as just having gone with a Clovertrail solution to begin with.

I don't like Clovertrail, but the Z-60 just doesn't sound like it has anything particularly interesting to bring to the table other than maybe the lowest of the lowest end Windows 8 x86 tablets.
Old 10th Oct 2012, 15:03   #4
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Z c e amd cpus are junk (or any bobcat type cpus) they hate .net framework (takes 10-20x longer to update then an p4 celeron cpu) and can get hung up on other tasks as well (mouse stuttering) I never though you could make an cpu so badly (as fast as an VIA cpu)

Sorry if that was an little rant just the 10 bobcat type. normal laptops all of them are unfit for use (an second hand pc that's 5-7 years old is faster ok power saving is not there thought)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington

Last edited by leexgx; 10th Oct 2012 at 15:09.
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 15:49   #5
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by leexgx View Post
Z c e amd cpus are junk (or any bobcat type cpus) they hate .net framework (takes 10-20x longer to update then an p4 celeron cpu) and can get hung up on other tasks as well (mouse stuttering) I never though you could make an cpu so badly (as fast as an VIA cpu)

Sorry if that was an little rant just the 10 bobcat type. normal laptops all of them are unfit for use (an second hand pc that's 5-7 years old is faster ok power saving is not there thought)
I've got a fiver that says you've never even SEEN a system running a Bobcat-based CPU, let alone used one.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 17:59   #6
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by leexgx

I've got tablet running on an AMD Z-01 (using that to write this), I can assure you I never have such problems, the cpu is actually very good (for a tablet).
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 20:13   #7
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Having worked with other low power chips from VIA and Intel I can say that these chips take a massive **** all over them.

The girlfriend has a E-450 in a laptop.
I own an E-350 based mATX board which I use for media and music.
I've just ordered a C-60 based itx board for the same purpose.

For the applications I use them for they cannot be faulted.

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 07:49   #8
Saivert
Supermodder

Saivert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Doesn't matter if AMD CPUs do well in a few areas and for a few specific use cases (like HTPC). They don't do well in the high-end and therefore fail at marketing.
They better start making some decent high-end chips again if they want the AMD name to mean something.

All over the internet I see tech press lamenting the AMD chips and saying Intel is better.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 08:20   #9
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've currently got an E350 sitting on my desk in a media server, and it's just fine - in low-usage scenarios, the total draw is only something like 18W for the entire board, while I it doesn't choke on normal, everyday things like browsing, as Atom does (Atom-Atom, not Clover Trail...and why for the love of god did Intel curse an apparently competent platform with the Atom name?)

I'm also in the midst of building a car PC on a second E350, since it's proved itself capable of handling the typical sorts of things you'd want a car PC to handle.

AMD just seems a little behind the curve, though - E350 was perfect for the netbook market that was already half-dead by the time the platform was released. Hondo is coming out at the right time...but is behind the tech curve, not being a true SOC....feels bad, man. I just want AMD competitive again
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:54   #10
Jedibeeftrix
Minimodder

Jedibeeftrix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
they are all very nice, but i want to see the 28nm Jaguar based replacement sporting GCN shaders.

now that will make an excellent tablet/laptop hybrid!
Jedibeeftrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 21:21   #11
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
2-3 hours to do all the windows updates on an win7 sp1 laptop, most of its time is spent on .net rebuilding after update

On the laptops mostly E type (some C as well) I have used, I have been fixing pcs for 15 years and I have never come across an cpu that is this bad (ok VIA), single core atom was not grate but they was still usable, duel core atom was fine

If your doing any thing gpu side or on the cpu side that's not .net type of load they are fine but the mouse pausing due to the cpu getting stuck on an thread is bad (duel core as well), unless they have fixed the issue on the Z type cpus I expect it to be worse then the E C cpus as the Z is slower (I edit once I have compared them again)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amd, apu, atom, clover trail, hondo, radeon hd, tablet, windows 8, windows 8 tablet, windows tablet, z-60