bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old Today, 11:28   #1
meisterjonny
What's a Dremel?

meisterjonny has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What Are the Defining Games of the Past Five Years?

Years back I'm sure I had an account on here, but I can't remember my username nor the email associated...anyway...HI AGAIN!

I was a PC gamer through and through growing up, until about 5 years ago I when I had a...controlling...girlfriend who wasn't best pleased with my gaming. So I swapped to consoles as something easier to pick up and put down, and in her eyes was more socially acceptable. 'Everyone has a PlayStation or an Xbox, but you just sit in your room...' Fast forward to now, the lunatic girlfriend in question has long since gone, and my new partner is thankfully totally different.

For my day job I'm an academic in a UK university working on CUDA, and I've just retired my two year old PC containing two (well used) Titans, home (my PC!). That means I figure it's time to fire up a PC game for the first time in a long long time...

My question to you all is If you had an empty Steam library, what games would you say that it must contain. And preferably ones a few years old or so for nice cheap prices on Steam, not latest releases for £40 a pop. If you had say £100, how would you spend it on a varied steam library, a few RPG's, shooters, RTS' and so on... (not all just massive RPG's to get most play hours for money!)?

My taste? Back in the day I racked up 1000's of hours on WoW and CoD:MW. Other faves that stick out: Dragon Age (I fully plan to buy this again anyway), Oblivion, Mass Effect, HL2, The Witcher, Aion, Deus Ex, Civ 4...

Any input greatly appreciated, as I feel very out of the loop, and don't really no where to start to get back into it...
meisterjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:15   #2
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Welcome back to the community.

As you enjoyed putting time into Oblivion, then an obvious choice to pick up that is often up on sale is the Skyrim Legendary Edition (contains the core game and all the DLC).
Many people here, myself included, have easily burnt away hundreds of hours playing and modding the game.

As for my own list of favourite Steam games with £100 to spend (in no particular order):

1. Europa Universalis IV + the El Dorado DLC (this is hands down my favourite game at the moment, I love the mixture of diplomacy, global domination and exploration)
2. The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
3. Just Cause 2
4. Skyrim
5. Borderlands 2
6. Fallout New Vegas
7. X Rebirth
8. Civ 5
9. FTL
10. Anno 2070
11. Homeworld 1&2 Remastered

Depending on whether they're being bought at sale prices or full price, I'd imagine that'd be well under £100.

Aion I believe is free now, so you could easily pick that one back up if you wanted.
Another free to play that is generally a good time-sink is ArcheAge.

Last edited by suenstar; Today at 12:28.
suenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:20   #3
Aterius Gmork
/r/pcmasterrace

Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Aterius Gmork is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
For no other reason than coming to mind first here are five games I really enjoyed in the last years:

Bioshock Infinite for the nice graphics and entertaining story.

Civilization 5: Brave New World is the best turn based strategy game of the last years, no matter what the nay-sayers might say. Forget the new one, Civ 5 is better.

Dark Souls. My favorite game of the last years. Praise the sun etc.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of the best RPGs of the last years. Skip TESO, this is the Elder Scrolls game you want to play.

Portal 2 is just as much fun as the previous installment. If you haven't played it yet get it NOW.

Oh, and even though it's no steam game get Minecraft.
Old Today, 12:41   #4
DLDeadbolt
Space Cadet

DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.
HumbleBundle.com is a great place to pick up weekly packages of games, the money goes to some great causes.

You can also get cheaper CD keys of other sites like G2A or CJ'S. The Steam Summer Sale should be starting in a month or two, so theirs always that.

Now for the games (since you are an old school gamer, I'm assuming you'd click on a few names):

Ori & The Bind Forest - Recently released, and I have yet to see a negative review that stands up to scrutiny (apart from some people complaining certain parts are hard... pansies)

Bastion & Transistor - A pair of fantastic games, Bastion has probably the best soundtrack of recent years (voice acting is brilliant aswell)

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - Needs no introduction for consoler's.

Civilization 5: Brave New World - My favourite (apart from Alpha Centauri) of the series. Be sure to skip Beyond Earth, not worth the time or money yet.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive - It's CS, what more to say.

Team Fortress 2
Dota 2 or League of Legends - Either are a great MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena), though I prefer DotA.

RTS's: their haven't been any in recent years that I'd really recommend, though you can pick up HD remakes of Age Of Empires 2 or Age of Mythology

Starcraft 2 - Shoudlnt really need to give this an introduction

Homeworld - Another recent remake of a great game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Good, but not great. I'd recommend if you can get for £10 or less.

Pillars Of Eternity - recently released RPG. If you've played PLanescape Torment or Baldurs Gate in the past, you should like this (it is pretty tough though)

Alien: Isolation - If you've watched the original Alien film, and enjoy a bit of a scare, you should like this. The atmosphere of the game is astonishing.

Free to Play games:

World Of Tanks - Free to play, great game, matchess lasting ~15mins so easy to just jump on for a quick battle.

WarThunder - Aerial combat with WW2 planes. Also has a Ground Forces side for tank combat.

Path Of Exile - It is a good succesor to the Diablo style of RPGs. I think it is a lot better than Diablo 3

A few notable mentions from the horror genre (something I don't like playing): Amnesia, Alan Wake, Dead Space, The Evil Within, Five Nights At Freddy's,

----------------------------------------------

I'll make another post later with a few more additions.
I'll also check my past Humble Bundles for some codes I never redeemed.

Hit me up on Steam, details below
STEAM ID: DLDeadBolt
DLDeadbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41   #5
Shirty
The Ultimate

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If you enjoyed the Witcher then you owe it to yourself to continue the story with the next two instalments.

If you fancy something completely out of leftfield in the soft-RPG genre, I quite enjoyed Risen 2: Dark Waters. Pirhana Bytes games are a bit Marmite, but I like the humour personally. I'm sure Risen 3 is more of the same.

Assassins Creed: Black Flag was a temporary return to form for the series.

Tomb Raider if you enjoy button mashing action.

Ensure you catch up on any Mass Effect instalments you never got round to playing as well.

Dishonored was pretty fun and worth a couple of playthroughs if you have the time.

For a few cheapies that are very different (but also short) try Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Grow Home.

I also have a Surface Pro 2, even though I'm not a pro...
Shirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:57   #6
bawjaws
Ultramodder

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's tricky, because if you've been gaming on a console for the past five years then you've probably played a decent number of the games being recommended above. As such, are you specifically looking for PC-only games (i.e. ones that you haven't played on your console), or games that you might have played on console that are better/different on PC?

If it's the latter, then given that you enjoyed Oblivion, Skyrim is a no-brainer, especially given the enormous range of mods available on PC. These can totally transform the game from the plain vanilla version and show one of the great advantages of playing on PC versus consoles.
bawjaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:07   #7
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Alien: Isolation
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Anno 2070
Crusader Kings II
DayZ (early access)
Grim Fandango Remastered (if you haven't played it originally)
Kerbal Space Program (early access)
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro: Last Light Redux
Project Zomboid (early access)

If you don't already know, check out Humble Store, Bundle Stars and GOG, they are good alternative (to Steam) PC focused places to get good deals.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

Steam: SMIFFY

Last edited by SMIFFYDUDE; Today at 18:27.
SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:09   #8
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Some of the games I've enjoyed most over the last couple of years:

Anno 1404/2070
Team Fortress 2
Crusader Kings II
CS:GO
Towerfall Ascension
Metro 2033
Don't Starve
GeorgeStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:19   #9
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Borderlands 2 for none mmo game it's fun and very addictive.
Starcraft 2 is still beat rts game out there.
Asserto corsa is a very good racing game.
Just cause 2 on pc it's better than gta for my money it's massive open world gaming as it should be done.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote