bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 20th Jul 2014, 15:47   #1
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Divinity: Original Sin

Hi guys...

After a long time of searchinig for a RPG that I might like finally there was one released about a month ago.

Divinity: Original Sin

It's an oldschool RPG with isometric view and roundbased combat, and you get no questmarkers etc. The graphics are really lovely and you can customize your characters to your liking... and you get upto four characters in your party. There's a good choice-system aswell, so your actions will have consequences and even give you boni. You can even play this game in multiplayer, where every player controls one or more characters of the party.

The combat is very tactical and you can make lots of use from the environement.

Check out this review-series on YT...

Divinity: Original Sin - First Look - Part 1 - Character Creation

Divinity: Original Sin - First Look - Part 2 - The Basics

Divinity: Original Sin - First Look - Part 3 - Leveling Up, Bartering and Thievery

Divinity: Original Sin - Character Build Guides - What not to do

Oh... and you can get it without any DRM from GOG.com

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2014, 15:53   #2
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Playing it with a friend and its a bit text heavy from my point of view that and it been a bit slow does not help its cause you can spend 20hrs in the first city with very little clue about what your trying to do without following a guide. Using a guide for a game like divinity would defeat the point from where I stand.

Its a challenging game combat actually makes you think. Plays a lot like the original bg2.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2014, 16:52   #3
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
**** me, it must be a good game if it matches your rigid list of requirements for consideration. That thread you started last year was like purgatory. I'll definitely buy this game at some point in the future.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2014, 17:00   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE View Post
**** me, it must be a good game if it matches your rigid list of requirements for consideration. That thread you started last year was like purgatory. I'll definitely buy this game at some point in the future.
LOL. Yeah.

You can really loose yourself in this game, and all the dialogs are really well written. The character-system is very deep and diversified, with tons of options to build exactly the characters you want to, just like in old Pen&Paper RPGs like MERP or the like.

The combat might be not to everones liking, it being turn-based and rather slow, but the whole tactical aspect to iit using the environment, LOS, etc makes it totally awesome again.

The only thing it didn't match from my list of requirements is, that there's no box-copy of it, but that's down to the publisher being a very small indy-studio I guess.

Old 20th Jul 2014, 19:17   #5
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Cracking game! Tis a little unbalanced in some places and there is NO hand-holding what-so-ever. This is largely a good thing, although it does mean you run around some of the time with very little clue as to where it is you need to be going.

Suppose I got used to modern games that constantly point you in the direction you need to be headed in. Quite telling really, when you play a game that requires you to work things out for yourself, and you are surprised at this. That used to be standard.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2014, 19:25   #6
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've put in 9 or so hours into it so far and I have to say it's a great game, definitely the best RPG I've played in the last couple of years. The more I play the better it gets

GravitySmacked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:55   #7
jrs77
theorycrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzban View Post
Cracking game! Tis a little unbalanced in some places and there is NO hand-holding what-so-ever. This is largely a good thing, although it does mean you run around some of the time with very little clue as to where it is you need to be going.

Suppose I got used to modern games that constantly point you in the direction you need to be headed in. Quite telling really, when you play a game that requires you to work things out for yourself, and you are surprised at this. That used to be standard.
I think it's quite astonishing how you can loose yourself in this game, exactly beacause there's no questmarkers and all that.
You run around for hours looking into every corner of the map looking for clues, opening every crate, barrel, etc to find something that might help you.

Playing this I think far back to games like ZacMcCrack'n, DoTT, or later Baldurs Gate. This is how RPGs should be like

I do enjoy more action-oriented ones aswell from time to time, especially if they're as fun as Borderlands, but I much more like these slow-paced games, where you don't feel rushed and gated to the final boss.

Old Yesterday, 08:56   #8
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
I think it's quite astonishing how you can loose yourself in this game, exactly beacause there's no questmarkers and all that.
You run around for hours looking into every corner of the map looking for clues, opening every crate, barrel, etc to find something that might help you.

Playing this I think far back to games like ZacMcCrack'n, DoTT, or later Baldurs Gate. This is how RPGs should be like

I do enjoy more action-oriented ones aswell from time to time, especially if they're as fun as Borderlands, but I much more like these slow-paced games, where you don't feel rushed and gated to the final boss.
Oh I've missed RPG's like this. Waiting patiently for Pillars of Eternity and that Torment game that is in the works. Also waiting for Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3 and that other project cdprjekt are working on. It is a good time to be an RPG fan! Especially if like me you enjoy both the old style ones and the new!

Gotta say I love Divinity being turn based during battles. And the action points (think Fallout). Means you really have to think about how to approach certain fights.

My 2 characters are a knight and a wizard, and my companions are another wizard Jahan and a rogue I'm speccing to an archer that I got from the hall of heroes. Think I might have ranged combat covered LOL

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40   #9
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll definitly get it if JRs likes it. I've been disapointed so many times lately with modern RPG. Last I bought was Legend of Grimrock and I really like it, reminds me of the good ol' time playing Ishar on my Amiga.

I might finally be able to play something else than Baldur's gate or Planescape torment

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:28   #10
Ljs
Limited Edition

Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.
I've seen most of my Steam friends playing this game a lot so I took that as a pretty good sign for it.

Might try and get it before the weekend so I'll have something new to play.
Ljs is offline   Reply With Quote