bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 10th Oct 2012, 21:02   #1
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Ace_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for president
Test bench mod by Ace_finland [completed]

Hey guys,

So i entered the Cooler master mod competition this year and thought i would start a case mod log here.

I was thinking for ages for a case to pick and by accident i found the test bench by Cooler Master at a local computer store. I new instantly that this is the case i wanted to modify. It's different enough to other cases and i didn't find anyone else in the competition using the same case.

After countless hrs designing i think i came up with something worthwhile doing. I was gonna post earlier but after reading the rules i didn't start this thread before fabricating something. Not much to show but at least i have started

So this is the design I'm gonna stick with for now unless i change my mind for a 100th time

Its not the latest version but rendering takes too long so this will have to do. It won't be as glossy as the picture and if i have time I will make some custom gpu back plates and do something to the new Dominator platinum memory i have just gotten.

Also started fabricating the radiator boxes today.

Started with some kinda straight pieces of 1mm metal sheet. Decided on 1mm thickness to add some stability and still easy to fabricate

The machine

Bent a small test piece to figure out the radius and the measurement, also to get all the angles right.

Made four pieces so i can mess up two, easier to make extra now than going back to make two new ones

Quick test fit to see how its gonna look

Also the parts that arrived

Hope you like it and please comment, more comming soon!

Final shots!

Sponsored by:

Last edited by Ace_finland; 3rd Jul 2013 at 09:47.
Ace_finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 03:51   #2
whyte
Multimodder

whyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwhyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
whoa.. got my attention. subbed.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 03:56   #3
jay2
Indonesian Modder

jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
subbed too.
jay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 06:10   #4
bluc
Supermodder

bluc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice start bending brake and render are awesome. Gotta get a bending brake one day. subd
Old 11th Oct 2012, 07:29   #5
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Ace_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for president
Thanks guys!
Old 11th Oct 2012, 18:36   #6
Phame
Always making COFFEE.

Phame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Looking good man, keep my eye on this!
Phame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 09:47   #7
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Thanks Phame!

Back after a lot of hrs in the garage and at the workshop at work. Not much of an update when it's full of fail but thought i would share anyways.

Plan A

Cut a template of the size i wanted

Mark the piece to be cut

Working with my best friend (angle grinder)

After a lot of filing.

After this i realised cutting the next 3 slots in the metal will make it very thin and will flex and bend a lot. And the plan is to powder coat it after i'm done with it so i can't use any filler. so over to...

Plan B

Decided to get all the cuts before bending. Don't mind the tolerances, just forgot to adjust the digits

Make a "table" for the mill at work.

Used doubble sided sticky tape between the table and the metal sheets to prevent the pieces to vibrate during milling.

Fastened the sheets with screws in as many places as possible, i did not want the sheet to move during milling.

Let the milling begin. Still a Manual mill so need to be very focused

More fasteners used as it progressed.

Almost done, still need to deburr all the edges and as you can see in the red circle i made a bit of a mess. I had just finished that slot and turned the mill off without turning off the feed. So when i turned the mill on it went like a bat out of.... Words can not describe the feeling when that happened. I had spent 6 hrs milling just to do a simple mistake. Anyways, gonna weld it back and see if i can file it down. Wouldn't be a problem if i could use filler.

More updates coming tuesday-wednesday if i get the metal bent into shape.

Ace_finland
Old 15th Oct 2012, 11:16   #8
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Looking good so far
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 11:18   #9
Vetalar
*learning english*

Vetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
interesting project here! main concern with CM benchtable (from reviews) was PCI-E card fixation (lack of it ) - interesting to see how it turns out! (and grab couple ideas to mod own bench table )

Last edited by Vetalar; 15th Oct 2012 at 13:08.
Vetalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 11:22   #10
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
Looking good so far
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
interesting project here! main concern from reviews was PCI-E card fixation (lack of it ) - interesting to see how it turns out! (and grab couple ideas to mod own bench table )
i've been thinking how to solve the pci-e fixation, what i would like is something that can easily be deteached or something you can just clip onto the card cause it really needs support
Old 15th Oct 2012, 13:26   #11
Vetalar
*learning english*

Vetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
in my own bench i've take 2 150mm m4 threaded rods near pci1 and pci7 and place 5mm thick PVC strip between 'em. and use self-tapping screws for card fixation...

like this, but right rod near audio connectors on MB
Vetalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 18:41   #12
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Oh yeah, I really like the look of this one
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 20:41   #13
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
in my own bench i've take 2 150mm m4 threaded rods near pci1 and pci7 and place 5mm thick PVC strip between 'em. and use self-tapping screws for card fixation...

like this, but right rod near audio connectors on MB
Thanks for the idea, i was thinking something similar, it's just very hard to figure out something that goes with the design

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
Oh yeah, I really like the look of this one
Thanks
Old 16th Oct 2012, 19:02   #14
Ace_finland
Multimodder

welded and grinded down the mess i did the other day

Got the sheets bent today but now i don't know if i should go with the circular mesh or the hexx mesh. The hexx mesh is made out of 1mm aluminum and the circular mesh is made out of steel sheet which would make the whole construction a lot more stable. What do you think?

Circular or hexx???

Thanks for dropping in!
Old 17th Oct 2012, 02:53   #15
KoSoVaR^
Professional Sleever & Modder

KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I would have gone for the mesh , looks so much better and goes with the geometric designs of the case
KoSoVaR^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2012, 19:08   #16
Sissilisko
Multimodder

Sissilisko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Circular. tuo hunajakenno kuvio näyttää vaa nii pieneltä ja liian hennolta, ja sulla on kuitenkin sen verta pyöreitä reunoja ja muuta nii ton iha rei-itetyn pitäis näyttää aika siistiltä siinä.
Sissilisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2012, 19:46   #17
Cookie Monster
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.Cookie Monster is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd go with the circular mesh, the thickness of the material between the holes is larger than the hex mesh which matches the case better. The hex mesh just looks too thin.

Only my opinion though.

Last edited by Cookie Monster; 18th Oct 2012 at 17:46.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 12:30   #18
Ripitup121
MMMMMMm watercooling....

Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
WOW. i love the render and work done so far. circular mesh cheesecake i think too and subbed. just epic

Rip

Ripitup121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 13:29   #19
Williz
Supermodder

Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.
Circular mesh! I'm eagerly awaiting more updates
Williz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 14:27   #20
Ripitup121
MMMMMMm watercooling....

Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ripitup121 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissilisko View Post
Circular. tuo hunajakenno kuvio näyttää vaa nii pieneltä ja liian hennolta, ja sulla on kuitenkin sen verta pyöreitä reunoja ja muuta nii ton iha rei-itetyn pitäis näyttää aika siistiltä siinä.
Is that Gangnam Style or just Finnish?

Ripitup121 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode