bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Oct 2012, 09:18   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Zalman CNPS14X review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...ps14x-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 15:17   #2
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
So complicated!
Just looking at the graphs it doesn't look very competitive against other cooling solutions, but the price makes it look more attractive.
It is a situation that cries out desperately for a scatter plot, with performance on one axis and price on the other.
I'd do it but I'm too lazy, and I don't care enough.

EDIT: Fine, I do have too much time on my hands.

S1155 HSF only - X-axis = Price (US$ gathered from various US online retailers, YMMV) and Y-axis = Delta T (from article)

Observations:
  • As we can see Intel OEM HSF is both cheap and ineffective, so it is at the Top-Left of the plot.
  • The Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro is most expensive and is on the far-Right. We can note that it is significantly more expensive than the other AIO water-coolers from Corsair and Antec, yet performs no better.
  • The ideal HSF for price/performance would be one that is to the Bottom-Left. The best HSF that matches the ideal profile is the Arctic Cooling i30 which is both cheap and effective, if at the expense of some noise.
  • The Gelid Tranquillo R2 is not as good as the i30, but it is slightly cheaper and quieter, while out performing the Gelid GX-7 and the Thermolab Trinity. I cannot see why you would buy either of the last two.
  • The Phantecks and the two Be Quiet! HSF are very expensive air coolers, and purchasing either of the Be Quiet!s would be an ask, especially the Pro 2 where both the Corsair H80 and Antec 920 are cheaper. The Phantecks is cheaper, but there is the Zalman CNPS14x that neatly straddles the Phantecks' high/low performance for $23 less.

Personal Decision:
  • If I was on a budget and I wanted quiet I'd go Gelid Tranquillo, and if I wanted performance the Arctic Cooling i30.
  • If my budget could stretch a bit further I would go with the Zalman CNPS14x.
  • If I was going to spend serious coin on cooling I would probably go with the Corsair H80.

Last edited by Adnoctum; 12th Oct 2012 at 10:45. Reason: Scatter Plot added
Adnoctum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 16:09   #3
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Oh wow a rather decent cooler from Zalman? They've been completely lost with this stuff for YEARS... Good to see them back.
Old 13th Oct 2012, 01:50   #4
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I don't get it - the thing is HUGE and ridiculously heavy yet it doesn't do a very good job. I guess put a better fan in it and it could be a major competitor.
Old 20th Oct 2012, 16:20   #5
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn
Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
fitting the spanner between the heatsinks and RAM on our motherboards proved to be very difficult for some bolts.
wouldn't you just remove the RAM for this??

a bigger complaint would be the positioning of VRM components by cooler mounts making fitting a pain
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is online now   Reply With Quote