bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Oct 2012, 09:20   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Mad Catz Tritton Pro+ 5.1 Headset review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/per...adset-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 09:29   #2
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Apart from the attractive-looking, glossy-white headset
That's strange, I didn't see pictures of that in the review.

I only saw the ugly glossy white set with the red logo. You know the one that has "trying to not look like a knock-off transforms toy while still looking like a knock off transformers toy" look about it. And what's with that logo? Is it a t-shirt someone cut down the middle?

While the spec looks good, to my eyes it's another GAMER headset with GAMER style for GAMERS into GAMING with their GAMER gear produced by a company that knows all about GAMING and what GAMERS want.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:29   #3
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Design should really be 0/30. Seriously that is one of the worst, and most unnecessarily complex setups I've seen.

I feel like these gaming peripheral companies making headsets, completely forget that there is a market out there with headphones that are actually good, and much cheaper than what they're offering. $200 USD will net you a great set of cans. If you really need a mic, get a separate one. Even having them separate is an easier solution than the Tritton.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:29   #4
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
isn't that a DisplayPort connector?
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:30   #5
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Some might consider that the sign of a high-end piece of equipment
However they would be quickly disbused of that notion:
Quote:
We did notice some very slight electronic noise, but this was nothing compared to that when we used the headset alone with the PC adaptor.
Once they realise that line noise with an optical input, let alone unfiltered USB power, is a sign of terribly shoddy quality. Add to that the USB input having to volume control: my ancient XMOD happily controls volume via talking to windows and provides on-board audio processing and surround expansion (both turned off in my case) over USB with no drivers needed. And that was for 30, not 130 (admittedly you have to provide your won headphones, but there are plenty of good choices for 100).

Also, the review mentions a toggleable "Pro Logic II" option, which implies that the optical input does not accept 5.1 (i.e. 6 discrete audio channels), but rather upmixes stereo. All the Mad Catz website mentions is Pro Logic II and the nebulous "Dolby Digital" (which could mean any number of channels from 1 to 6). Is this a 5.1 headset that can't actually decode 5.1?!
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:38   #6
TheDodoKiller
Supermodder

TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
providing the full range of sound affects using the decoder.
In that context, isn't it 'sound effects'?
- AMD 1090T OC'd at 3.6 Ghz - Asus Crosshair IV Formula - Reference Asus 6950/70 - Silverstone FT02 B-W - Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB - Kingston HyperX 1600 Ram 4GB - Coolermaster V8 -
TheDodoKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 12:25   #7
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have this The AX Pro headset, and they sound mighty impressive connected to my laptop via the 3.5mm jacks without the decoder box.

Films/Games/Music sound awesome and crystal clear with ample of bass for any bass junkie!

I also find them very comfy to wear, and I think the design of them look cool, especially at night when the Orange logo glows.

I do find the 5.1 surround works very well, and BF3 sounds truly awesome.

I would recommend them to any gamer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder View Post
isn't that a DisplayPort connector?
Yes it is DP.
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 12:28   #8
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba
Quote:
We did notice some very slight electronic noise, but this was nothing compared to that when we used the headset alone with the PC adaptor.
Once they realise that line noise with an optical input, let alone unfiltered USB power, is a sign of terribly shoddy quality.
I think that might have more to do with a crappy amplifier than the optical input.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 13:01   #9
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Just to be unreasonably pedantic..
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Very few that we've tried have come close to mimicking a 5.1 speakers (it's physically impossible to do this as our ears need cues from much larger surroundings than the confines of a standard headset ear pieces)
While this is vaguely true, saying that it's physically impossible isn't really correct; it's just that the solution would be to use decent HRTF processing rather than multiple speakers in the headphones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-re...nsfer_function

http://www.csounds.com/journal/issue16/multibin.html

It would be nice to see that kind of thing implemented in hardware processing in a set of so-called 5.1 headphones on the market sometime.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 14:17   #10
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I don't see the point in a detachable microphone if it has a proprietary connector. You're never going to seen in public with these, just make the mic fold up to the headband.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 15:04   #11
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial
Just to be unreasonably pedantic..
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Very few that we've tried have come close to mimicking a 5.1 speakers (it's physically impossible to do this as our ears need cues from much larger surroundings than the confines of a standard headset ear pieces)
While this is vaguely true, saying that it's physically impossible isn't really correct; it's just that the solution would be to use decent HRTF processing rather than multiple speakers in the headphones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-re...nsfer_function

http://www.csounds.com/journal/issue16/multibin.html

It would be nice to see that kind of thing implemented in hardware processing in a set of so-called 5.1 headphones on the market sometime.
Am I the only person who plays games with a pair of headphones and a non-gaming sound card and finds positional audio is already perfectly fine? It's not like it's CPU intensive to build it right into the game engine.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 18:15   #12
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd View Post
I think that might have more to do with a crappy amplifier than the optical input.
Exactly: if you're getting noise over something with no electrical connection, you've got some exceptionally badly designed circuitry in there somewhere.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2012, 18:32   #13
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
I have used the predecessor to this unit, and it has outlasted 2 back up headphone sets. Buy Tritton, you will not be sorry.
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2012, 18:47   #14
bagman
I Mod, Therefore I Own

bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I had the AX pro headset, biggest piece of crap I have ever bought, and I would advise everyone to avoid this as well. Gaming wise Razer Chararis...? thingy is a lot better, but even that I wouldn't recommend as mine keeps on braking all the time. You don't need all this 5.1 surround rubbish. You need a good pair of stereo headphones which have a large sound stage. Some excellent headphones for this are the Audio Technica AD700. But you should also get a decent sound card. At least the Asus xonar DX, the sound quality is superb and the software really helps this card outperform any other sound card in its price bracket.

I feel I should do my own thread on gaming headphones.

Last edited by bagman; 13th Oct 2012 at 18:55.
bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2012, 19:23   #15
aedwards
What's a Dremel?

aedwards has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is this a production unit? If so, how did it get that far without someone spotting that they'd spelled 'output' wrong on the back?

Makes you wonder about the quality control on the rest of it...
aedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2012, 22:41   #16
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
Ugly thing!
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2012, 23:40   #17
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
USB connection is seperate soundcard for comms not game audio, when set up correctly you can independently set the level for sound and comms via inline remote, it is also the source for noise if you don't have it wired right or in use with the volume set to max, turn it down, no issue.

I use similar on PC/PS3 and 360 and just switch opticals into the decoder with optical switch and usb in my 4way usb switch, jobs a good 'un
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 12:11   #18
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I wanted some decent headphones a little while ago, so I went for a pair of Grados. I started recording voiceovers for YouTube videos earlier this year, and I used the microphone in my webcam. I'm looking to upgrade that to a proper microphone now, so that I can use a pop filter, a proper mount, have better quality etc..

Moral of the story? Buy a peripheral that's designed to do one job and do it well. I don't need a poor quality microphone on my headphones, I don't need an extra box or complicated wiring just to use my headphones (especially not when I already have an external audio interface) and I don't need 5.1 sound packed into such a small space when I already have a perfectly good 5.1 speaker system.

Please please stop making "Gamer" peripherals, stop trying to pack more and more features into everything and just design a device that does it's job well.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2012, 03:49   #19
MidnightKhaos
What's a Dremel?

MidnightKhaos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
k i was wondering if i could get some help....the headset isnt recieving any power from the main box ....no lights on the headset.....can i get some help please i've only had these for 2 days
MidnightKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote