bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Oct 2012, 07:33   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-4400 review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-4400-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 08:36   #2
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
Important: this card will only be able to receive HD channels via the satellite (DVB-S2) input. The terrestrial freeview (DVB-T) input will only receive SD broadcasts.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 09:06   #3
TheDodoKiller
Supermodder

TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll be sticking with Sky+HD, thanks. It's so easy that a baby could do it.

Also, I (We) signed up to sky about 10 years ago, and we're still on the same package now- We pay about 30 a month and get everything bar sports and movies. I even get the F1 channel.

I can't see any sort of advantage to this sort of device.
- AMD 1090T OC'd at 3.6 Ghz - Asus Crosshair IV Formula - Reference Asus 6950/70 - Silverstone FT02 B-W - Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB - Kingston HyperX 1600 Ram 4GB - Coolermaster V8 -
TheDodoKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 10:17   #4
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
edzieba, That was the exact comment I was going to highlight. Meaning that even if you have BOTH a digital aerial and a satellite dish you won't be able to record one HD channel and watch another, you will only be able to watch SD channels. This has been my issue with TV cards for years. Before HD came along you usually could only get one digital tuner and another analogue one. I want TV cards to offer fully featured DUAL TUNERS so I am not limited in my viewing options even if I choose to record something.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 10:35   #5
Devolve
Deadbeat

Devolve has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've been looking at getting a TV tuner for my system for a while. I never seem to find one that fits my exact needs though. The one I have been looking at for a while is the BlackGold BGT3600. A Dual DVB-S2 and Dual DVB-T2 all in one. Looks like scan have them for 165, which seems reasonable.

Evolution is the myth. Look around you the world isn't
evolving...it's DEvolving.
Devolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 11:45   #6
tigertop1
Modder

tigertop1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Be careful re BlackGold TV cards

I have one and when it works it is great but it has an incompatibility problem with MCE which cannot be resolved unless MCE gets an upgrade which looks unlikely. There is supposed to be a workaround to stop it dropping sat channels but I have not been able to make it work properly

Try the Hauppage S350 which has a dual sat tuner. I have found it to be excellent
tigertop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 11:48   #7
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Not quite sure how this card scored so highly in "Value", especially considering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
Important: this card will only be able to receive HD channels via the satellite (DVB-S2) input. The terrestrial freeview (DVB-T) input will only receive SD broadcasts.
I've been baffled by dual freeview/freesat cards for a while now. If you've made the investment in freesat equipment, surely you're going to want to use that. If you only have freeview, then the freesat tuner is useless.

Just give me a card with dual HD freeview or dual HD freesat tuners. I know they can cut costs by including both on one card, but honestly how many average people have that capability?

For me this card would be a 120-odd paperweight. I only have freeview (by choice - I could easily afford Sky or Freesat but I refuse to pay for either) and I already have dual tuners.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 12:15   #8
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Putting the money towards a youview box would seem like a more sensible option
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 12:44   #9
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
is there still a market for these things? I thought everyone is using full HD streams from all over the world via internet. or stick a Ci module into their TV from their provider or download all their favo series from 'other' sources.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 13:21   #10
ashchap
Multimodder

ashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyanashchap is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Great review, please review more tuner cards as they are released. I currently have 4x digital freeview tuners (1x WinTV-NOVA-TD Stick, 1x Kworld Dual Tuner PE355-2T). These both work perfectly with WMC, but I have been looking for a while to upgrade to freeview/freesat HD. Unfortunaltely I've not come across anything decent so far but it looks like more manufacturers are finally starting to make the move over to HD now!

Everyone always seems to think streaming is the answer but
a. you have to wait until after a programme has been broadcast before it comes online
b. they're only available for a limited time (I have TV recordings from 2010 that I still need to get round to watching!)
c. it's usually lower quality than broadcast TV
d. It's never as simple as it's supposed to be

Don't get me wrong, I regularly use iplayer etc. as a backup, and until I get an HD tuner I have to get HD content online (or via blu-ray), but I am not getting rid of my TV tuners any time soon!
ashchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 14:29   #11
blackerthanblack
Supermodder

blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.
Agreed, we need to get more reviews of tuners for HTPC builds, there seems to be very few decent reviews around and not all of us want the simple and limited functionality of the ready made solutions.
Old 15th Oct 2012, 16:52   #12
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Oh wow, I actually went "TV's are SO 90's" when I saw the review on the front page...

The last time I gave a damn about broadcast TV was back when VHS was still the recording media of choice, I just don't see the draw with commercials every 10 minutes, programs airing at the wrong time - and generally being shite / three years after the original air date - or you'll have to pay extra for the pay channels.

ugh. Yeah thanks for the review...
Old 15th Oct 2012, 16:55   #13
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got the Kworld dual tuner pci-e DVB-T, but not tried a T2 tuner - what stopped me from buying one is that I started to use web services like iPlayer more and more, and I use get_iplayer (on both windows and Ubuntu) to download and watch off-line.

So I haven't used WMC for ages - would be very interested in seeing DVB-T2 tuner reviews, especially the BlackGold series...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 17:06   #14
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDodoKiller View Post
I'll be sticking with Sky+HD, thanks. It's so easy that a baby could do it.

Also, I (We) signed up to sky about 10 years ago, and we're still on the same package now- We pay about 30 a month and get everything bar sports and movies. I even get the F1 channel.

I can't see any sort of advantage to this sort of device.
You don't think being able to watch freeview/freesat television in a room with only a PC could be an advantage to someone?
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 17:26   #15
Noob?
Dremel?

Noob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming SaiyanNoob? is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thought this had been around for a while now?
Noob? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 17:28   #16
S1W1
Multimodder

S1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I've got Sky+HD at the moment- it's a good service, but the boxes seem terrible and they break fairly regularly.
AMD X6 1090T OC @ 3.75GHZ | Corsair H50 cooler | 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHZ | Asus M4N98TD Evo Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB OC| XFX 750W Black Edition PSU | Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 HDD | 300GB WD Velociraptor | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | NZXT Hades mid tower with red LEDS and engraved side panels | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | Asus Xonar DX |
=== Alienware M11X R3 laptop ===
S1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 22:09   #17
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE View Post
You don't think being able to watch freeview/freesat television in a room with only a PC could be an advantage to someone?
Picking up on this, if your TV and PC are in different rooms then you can effectively turn your 24" monitor into a second TV by using one of these. Of course there's iPlayer, but for watching ITV, Channel 4 and C5 live (without the need to register in C4's case) then TV Tuner's come in very handy.

Sure it's a niche market, but TV Tuner's have been around for ages, so the hardware and software are very mature now.

Last edited by pbryanw; 15th Oct 2012 at 22:31.
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2012, 02:56   #18
Roskoken
Multimodder

Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
XBMC + Dreambox wins
Roskoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 01:57   #19
mediapcAddict
Multimodder

mediapcAddict has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
would be very interested in seeing DVB-T2 tuner reviews, especially the BlackGold series...
second that. blackgold and TBS www tbsdtv com all have Freeview HD and Freesat HD cards available.
mediapcAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2012, 10:28   #20
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
BBC HD , ITV 1 HD , Channel 4 HD and BBC 1 HD are "Freesat"?
As in, i lift my dish to the sky and they come? Or do I need a decoder?

How HD is this HD? 240? 720? 1080?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
I thought everyone is using full HD streams from all over the world via internet..
Most countries are pretty tight when it comes to actual streaming...also Full HD streams? really? I'm happy if I get 360 lag-free That's barely Youtube level.

Edit: Just checked, Lovefilm for instance stream by Silverlight...and uses NO buffering.
Why? Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
... or download all their favo series from 'other' sources.
That actually works best for high qualitys, but is pretty much illegal
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080

Last edited by Xir; 11th Dec 2012 at 19:41.
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote