1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling H100 in Lian Li X2000?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pointy, 18 Oct 2012.

1. Pointy

Pointy What's a Dremel?

Hi,

After an unsuccessful NH-D14 fit, I am planning to get the H100 for my Lian Li X2000 case.

My plan is to attach the rad to the top 2 140mm fans at the front of the case. I thought I could simply get some aluminium and drill appropriate holes for the rad and mount on the long sides, so that enough sticks out to allow holes to be drilled to fix to the fans. I could then mount it vertically to the top 2 fans with the inlet/outlet at the top.

It would seem that from a quick google that the tubes are about 12" long, and I have enough room to mount the H100 fans on the inside if needed.

Anyone see any potential problems that I am overlooking?

Regards,

Les

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Have you thought about using 80-120mm adaptors? They work the other way around too (120mm-140mm). Its what I use to mount my 240 in the Arc Midis 140mm mounts

3. Pointy

Pointy What's a Dremel?

Yes I did think about adapters but I think the spacing between the fans would be a problem, so I think it will have to be something custom.

Regards,

Les

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yep, my fan spacing is odd too. You can just swivel the adaptors til they fit.

5. Pointy

Pointy What's a Dremel?

Managed to get the H100 fitted today, my plan worked although it was fiddly and took much longer than anticipated. It seems it was made to measure too, I have about 1/4" between the GTX580's and the Corsair fans fitted to the inside of the rad.

Temps seem good, just done a quick oc to 4.1ghz and it's been priming for about 45mins and temps are just under 60c.

My only criticism is the god damn awful noise on cold start, sure it quietens down after a few seconds but it is still annoying. Apparently this is normal behaviour and partly down to the Corsair fans. Anyone suggest some quieter 120mm fans?

If anyone is interested I can take some pics.

Regards,

Les

6. Pointy

Pointy What's a Dremel?

Managed to get 4.5ghz overclock that I wanted, temps are 65ish with the H100 on the lowest setting and the front case fans on the lowest setting. Noise levels are good while running, just the horrible noise on cold start. Going to leave it priming overnight to make sure it's stable.

I think I am going to try a couple of Cougar HDB Fans as they seem to be recommended by a lot of people.

Regards,

Les

7. Pointy

Pointy What's a Dremel?

Well the prime test failed so I upped the vcore offset to 0.100 and it primed for over 12 hours without error. Temps maxed out at 70c. I have ordered the Cougar fans and will do a comparison when they arrive.

I have also decided to remake the radiator brackets as I rushed them a bit the first time, and had to tweak the design a tad. If anyone is interested in doing the same I can post a basic parts list and templates/instructions.

Regards,

Les

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If not then Akasa Apaches are supposed to be good (and PWM controlled) or Scythe Gentle Typhoons (albeit without the PWM control)

GK

9. Pointy

Pointy What's a Dremel?

I got the Cougar fans fitted today and they are very good (other than the colour). Temps seem about the same (all on lowest setting), but the big difference is how much quieter it is from a cold start.

Now a very happy bunny.

Les