bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 18th Oct 2012, 16:40   #1
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

AciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run Crysis
Icelandic Winter worklog

Hi everybody I'm just starting a new mod called Icelandic Winter. Iceland is a small island so I thought the Bitfenix Prodigy would be perfect for this mod. Now when the winter is coming, I can't do any painting since I have to do all that outside but we will figure something out

Hardware:
CPU: i5 3570k
MB: ASRock Z77 E-ITX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 Low Profile White
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
Storage: None internal
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 cheesecake
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White
PSU: Corsair HX650

Watercooling:
CPU block: EK Supremacy Copper/plexi
Rads: 2x XSPC EX240 Slim Line Dual Fan
Fans: BitFenix Spectre White
Pump: Laing DDC-1Plus MCP355 12V
Reservoir: EK-DDC X-RES 100 CSQ - Acetal
Barbs: Bitspower Black Sparkle
Tubing: Masterkleer - 7/16 ID - 5/8 OD - Clear
Liquid: Mayhems Pastel Ice White

Other:
Case fans: Bitfenix Spectre 140mm in the back
Some other bits and bobs...

Here are the first pictures.

This is a photograph taken somewhere in Iceland over the wintertime

The Bitfenix prodigy

The RAM I will be using

And the case stripped down ready for some modding

Last edited by AciD_RaiN; 18th Apr 2013 at 18:07.
AciD_RaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 18:17   #2
KrunchR
Supermodder

KrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I like the look of that case. Was thinking of getting myself one. Good luck with your project!
KrunchR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 21:01   #3
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

AciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrunchR View Post
I like the look of that case. Was thinking of getting myself one. Good luck with your project!
Thanks mate This case is surprisingly roomy and sturdy... Great build...
Old 28th Oct 2012, 21:31   #4
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

Well I have done a little modding but it might take a turn. I'm having second thoughts about the front... There is another modder doing a build in that case and some of my ideas are almost identical to his and after watching his videos on his prodigy build I might copy some of it and hope he won't mind.

I applied some di-noc to the bottom part and it was way harder than I thought so I failed a little there. I hope the top part will be better.

Then I cut out some of the front part for better airflow.

After I sanded it down and got it really smooth I painted the cuts with clear nail polish and sanded that down a little and made it as soft as a kittens fur

After I had cut the middle part of the front I realized I might need a plan B so there I might borrow an idea from another great modder if this fails. We will see what happens...
Old 11th Nov 2012, 18:07   #5
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

Well I have received some more stuff and done a a few things to that case. Been really busy with work and client builds lately and there have been pretty bad storms here so I haven't had any chance to continue...

I received the GPU the other day.

Drew the outlines for the windows

A few days ago I received a nice package from mnpctech

Went out in the nice weather and made a workbench

Here's the cut after I had filed it down

And finally with the U-Channel from mnpctech in...

Not the best job in the world but I'm still evolving
Old 11th Nov 2012, 19:14   #6
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Now, that's dedication. Working with metal in the snow. Awesome. I subbed.

(However, not a fan of U-channel. Well.... maybe if it was white?)

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2012, 19:19   #7
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
Now, that's dedication. Working with metal in the snow. Awesome. I subbed.

(However, not a fan of U-channel. Well.... maybe if it was white?)
I couldn't find any white and the theme is white, black and light blue so imo it looks great lol. You are more pro than me so you should know more about this stuff. I actually really like that U-Channel
Old 11th Nov 2012, 19:47   #8
spigs_rex
Modder

spigs_rex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i love these little cases getting modded will be watching
spigs_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2012, 20:20   #9
Nutman

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AciD_RaiN View Post
I couldn't find any white and the theme is white, black and light blue so imo it looks great lol. You are more pro than me so you should know more about this stuff. I actually really like that U-Channel
I just find the U-channel a little too "rough" - and you can always see the join/cut ends.
Ah, probably just my OCD talking here, but I usually prefer to go for a slightly "cleaner"/different edge.

How about painting the edges instead?

Have a look here to see how I did it for "BabyShark".

Old 11th Nov 2012, 20:34   #10
djzic
Bokehlicious!

djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Agreed with Nutman - looks cleaner that way

Cam: Canon 400D | 35mm f/2.8 | Helios 44-2
djzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2012, 21:19   #11
Nutman

;-)

Old 11th Nov 2012, 21:21   #12
djzic
Bokehlicious!

djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
nice one xD

Cam: Canon 400D | 35mm f/2.8 | Helios 44-2
djzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2012, 21:36   #13
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

Quote:
I just find the U-channel a little too "rough" - and you can always see the join/cut ends.
Ah, probably just my OCD talking here, but I usually prefer to go for a slightly "cleaner"/different edge.

How about painting the edges instead?

Have a look here to see how I did it for "BabyShark".
I thought about it but my cuts aren't clean and straight enough and I don't have any place to paint

I was gonna do the other side panel but it's only daylight for a few hours at this time of year so I had to cancel that and tomorrow there's another storm coming
Old 11th Nov 2012, 22:04   #14
Ra6
Multimodder

Ra6 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great job and nice colours you've chosen!
Btw LTE for the nickname?
Ra6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 00:01   #15
Nutman

Aaaaah, Iceland. Where people are weather-beaten, wear funny sweaters and speak funny, too!

Old 12th Nov 2012, 00:01   #16
Nutman

Oh, and probably the only country in the world with heated sidewalks, no?

Old 12th Nov 2012, 00:59   #17
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

Quote:
Oh, and probably the only country in the world with heated sidewalks, no?
Icelandic originally came from Denmark and we say Danish people talk like they have a potato stuck in their throat lol

But yeah we have heated sidewalks in some places :P
Old 12th Nov 2012, 17:24   #18
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
niice gpu! and Glad to see your order arrived safely! and Project is Lookin good too!
Old 12th Nov 2012, 18:01   #19
Owndapwn
Modder

Owndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run Crysis
The black U-channel actually is very fitting for it.

Contrast is a key design rule, if you take an art or engineering class.

However, how do you manage to paint in the snow so perfectly?
I can't even paint in anything less than 50F without the paint sweating and bubbling.
:'C

Stupid Icelandic wizards and their magic snow powers.....
Owndapwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 01:41   #20
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpctech View Post
niice gpu! and Glad to see your order arrived safely! and Project is Lookin good too!
Arrived and really quickly Until next time, thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owndapwn
The black U-channel actually is very fitting for it.

Contrast is a key design rule, if you take an art or engineering class.

However, how do you manage to paint in the snow so perfectly?
I can't even paint in anything less than 50F without the paint sweating and bubbling.
:'C

Stupid Icelandic wizards and their magic snow powers.....
I was just cutting in the snow. It's to cold to paint But thanks you for that comment on the U-Channel. I think it fits perfectly

View Mode