bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Oct 2012, 11:31   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel's Avoton Atom tipped as an eight-core OoOE part

Intel clearly rattled by ARM's microserver push.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...intel-avoton/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 13:08   #2
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Do want.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 15:23   #3
Kacela
Minimodder

Kacela has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another nail in AMD's coffin...
Kacela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 15:32   #4
james888
Minimodder

james888 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want one of these as a toy. What could I do with 18 cores? hmmm... but that is the fun in it.
james888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 15:46   #5
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Just bought an Atom D2700 (used as an internet browsing machine) and I'm surprisingly pleased by it. Except their crappy "windows 7 32 bit only" driver, this is a nice little chip. Just can imagine how an 8 cores will run

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 16:25   #6
Fused
Multimodder

Fused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run CrysisFused can run Crysis
Anyone else drawn to this article simply to find out what an earth 'OoOE' is?
Old 19th Oct 2012, 16:55   #7
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
seems like intels gpu was going in the right direction just they should have left it's function as a cpu. I think they had 64 cores on 65nm, that could be 500 cores on 22nm same die space. i know its a bit trickier than lego and not all cores are equal but you would still have 500 x86 modules in one package.
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 17:24   #8
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fused
Anyone else drawn to this article simply to find out what an earth 'OoOE' is?
Yup!
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 19:56   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's the sound geeks make when presented with an 8-core CPU with 20W TDP max:

Last edited by Nexxo; 19th Oct 2012 at 20:03.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 21:39   #10
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't get what all the fuss is about? Sure it has a bunch of cores, but unless 2 of the 8 cores can turbo boost to 6Ghz, the single threaded performance is going to just suck.

Maybe if intel dumped a 1/2 speed QPI link in there and sold a server with 1x skt 2011 and 6x atom chips as co-processors, i might take interest.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 21:59   #11
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
But.. but.. I want an 8 core netbook
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2012, 05:46   #12
james888
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by play_boy_2000 View Post
I don't get what all the fuss is about? Sure it has a bunch of cores, but unless 2 of the 8 cores can turbo boost to 6Ghz, the single threaded performance is going to just suck.

Maybe if intel dumped a 1/2 speed QPI link in there and sold a server with 1x skt 2011 and 6x atom chips as co-processors, i might take interest.
As a toy sir as a toy
Old 20th Oct 2012, 05:51   #13
james888
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by james888 View Post
I want one of these as a toy. What could I do with 8 cores? hmmm... but that is the fun in it.
Old 20th Oct 2012, 06:20   #14
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james888 View Post
As a toy sir as a toy
I have a pentium 4 641 sitting on my desk that I use as a toy, and oddly enough probably has more oomph than any atom, performance per watt aside. It makes a really great-ish spinning top.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2012, 11:28   #15
bullseye
Who dares wins

bullseye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Intel refuse to comment on industry rumour or speculation", That they leaked to make customers hold off on using the Arm.

Peripherals: 24" iiyama Pro Game 144hz/ Qpad MK50 Pro MX Black/ Razer Deathadder 2013/ Qpad QH90 Pro
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2012, 17:55   #16
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If they do release something like that, and have similar price to current Atom it will be a huge winner. I suspect it would be priced a lot closer to Xenon though, making it largely pointless.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2012, 08:37   #17
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
If they put this in a netbook then I can finally watch HD content without getting an add in card.

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2012, 15:37   #18
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
/in fat *******s voice, "Get in my netbook"
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
22nm, arm, atom, avoton, eight-core, intel, microserver, ooe, oooe, oooerr!, out of order execution, soc, system on chip