bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 19th Oct 2012, 15:52   #1
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Anyone heard of HyperOptic Internet?

Hi guys,

Not sure where to put this one. Has anyone heard of Hyper Optic? Getting some mail from these guys who claim to be setting up a Fibre Optic network in my area.

A little bit of Googleing shows it's set up by the man behind Be Broadband - who I'm with now (although not on Fibre Optic, and only getting 8MB speeds)

Any thoughts on this? These guys seem trusty enough or reviewed by anyone?

Cheers!
Old 19th Oct 2012, 15:54   #2
suragh
Derp

suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
Hi guys,

Not sure where to put this one. Has anyone heard of Hyper Optic? Getting some mail from these guys who claim to be setting up a Fibre Optic network in my area.

A little bit of Googleing shows it's set up by the man behind Be Broadband - who I'm with now (although not on Fibre Optic, and only getting 8MB speeds)

Any thoughts on this? These guys seem trusty enough or reviewed by anyone?

Cheers!
Could you quote the mail message for us to see? I have never heard of them nore have I heard of BE Broadband.
Old 19th Oct 2012, 15:59   #3
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Err, you've not head of BE? The ISP that most people on these boards rave about, and generally speaking offer the best ADSL2+ service in the UK? (They don't do fibre unfortunately).

Get out from under the log!
Cei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2012, 16:26   #4
suragh
Derp

suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.
ADSL lines where I live are typically pants. I have had my fair share of experiences being with sky. One word.... Dreadful.
Old 19th Oct 2012, 17:41   #5
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Their email to me:

Great news, we’re now taking pre-orders for service at Great West Quarter! Installations are due to commence within the next week and we thought, as you have registered interest, you should be the first to know.
Residents can take advantage of our introductory offer – 100Meg broadband free for 6 months!
100Meg Broadband is £25.00 per month now free for 6 months when you subscribe to line rental. That’s a saving of £150!
What’s more, subscribe to any service and you’ll also receive free installation – an additional saving of £200.
As you have registered interest, you will receive free connection during the order process – you’ll save £40! Please note free connection will only be available for a few days so please place your order as soon as possible to make the most of the savings available to you.
To pre-order, visit www.hyperoptic.com – hurry as these offers won’t be available for long. If you have any questions, please call 0333 332 1111 or email support@hyperoptic.com
Old 19th Oct 2012, 17:42   #6
sotu1
Ex-Modder

I've called a few times as and they're apparently starting to install in my block of flats, I'm just wondering if it's worth the risk and jumping in with these guys. They're offering free installs and crap like that.
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 08:48   #7
mm vr
The cheesecake is a lie

mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Sounds like a typical scam, but with such a nice web site and phone numbers and stuff, it might not be a scam after all.
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz || Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme || Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H || 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600MHz CL10 || Radeon 4870 512MB || AC Accelero Twin Turbo Pro || Asus Xonar DX || Samsung 830 128GB || 2x WD Blue 640GB || Corsair HX620 || Antec P182 || Samsung SM 2232 + 2233 || Windows Server 2012
mm vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 08:57   #8
Hyperoptic
What's a Dremel?

Hyperoptic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Greetings from Hyperoptic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
Their email to me:

Great news, we’re now taking pre-orders for service at Great West Quarter! Installations are due to commence within the next week and we thought, as you have registered interest, you should be the first to know.
Residents can take advantage of our introductory offer – 100Meg broadband free for 6 months!
100Meg Broadband is £25.00 per month now free for 6 months when you subscribe to line rental. That’s a saving of £150!
What’s more, subscribe to any service and you’ll also receive free installation – an additional saving of £200.
As you have registered interest, you will receive free connection during the order process – you’ll save £40! Please note free connection will only be available for a few days so please place your order as soon as possible to make the most of the savings available to you.
To pre-order, visit www.hyperoptic.com – hurry as these offers won’t be available for long. If you have any questions, please call 0333 332 1111 or email support@hyperoptic.com
Hello!

I noticed my handiwork appear on this site so thought I'd introduce myself - my name is Sunita and I am part of the Hyperoptic team, making hyper-fast internet speeds a reality throughout London.

Yes, the co-founders are the same guys who started Be Broadband many moons ago. The team are now standing up to ISPs who don't deliver the speeds you're paying for - because they still rely on copper based "technology". Hyperoptic install fibre and bring it straight to your development so you're getting the fastest speeds in the UK - a whopping 1000mbps!

You can read about Boris and Dana online simply by searching on google. There are lots of news articles available online including the two awards we've won recently (yes I am very proud of those - I polish them daily). Also, I suggest you read reviews on sites such as Think Broadband and ISP Review where customers have left their feedback.

Of course, you don't have to take my word for it; we've got a few hyper-champions at GWQ happy to put you in touch with them so you can test drive the service

Hope that helps - have a good week ahead.

Sunita
Hyperoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 15:15   #9
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.
Needed to delete.

Last edited by damien c; 25th Oct 2012 at 14:56. Reason: Needed to be deleted
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 15:51   #10
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
What equipment are you going to use in the customers premises, because for those speeds you are going to need to use Fiber to the home really although a Coaxial cable could deliver it.
From their FAQ

Q: How is Hyperoptic able to offer such a leap forward in speed?
A: Hyperoptic is building a new full fibre optic network to your building. By installing our fibre cables directly into your premises, not just to the cabinet on the street outside, you can at last overthrow those ancient copper wires that were designed just for voice or television.

I'd be interested in this- no phone line required, but my property hasn't been enabled by the look of it.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80

Last edited by Parge; 22nd Oct 2012 at 16:50.
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 16:34   #11
Hyperoptic
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
1st of all I don't live in London or even the London area, but I just need to ask something before people sign up and find they are not getting the speeds you claim to deliver.

For a 1Gb connection, which you mention is that speed only for data transfers within the UK or does that speed carry over to other countries such as America etc??

H2O (Fiber City) use to offer 1Gb connections to residential customers, but those were only for data transfers within the UK and when you connected to a server outside of the UK you only, got around 100Mb to 200Mb max.

What equipment are you going to use in the customers premises, because for those speeds you are going to need to use Fiber to the home really although a Coaxial cable could deliver it.

If it is a true 1Gb connection to other countries such as America, and the rest of Europe are you planning on offering this service through out the whole country as it may be something I would, look at instead of my 100Mb service that I have now.
Thank you for your response - to clarify, we do have 1Gig links to the internet. We install our own fibre infrastructure to the premises so we are confident we can deliver the speeds our customers subscribe to. If you want to experience hyper-fast 1Gig speeds, then that's exactly what we'll deliver. No limitations, no compromise. If you're not in London, there are a number of serviced apartments in london where you can experience Hyperoptic. We have started our roll-out in London however there are plans to introduce more Hyper-cities in the near future.

Hope that helps

Sunita
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 16:48   #12
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.
Needed to delete.

Last edited by damien c; 25th Oct 2012 at 14:57. Reason: Needed to delete.
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 18:04   #13
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
[QUOTE=damien c;3194827]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post

To be honest if they are doing Fiber directly to the building instead of just a node in the street and then coax from them, or to a node within the building and then coax from there up the initial install price in to a building, is going to be quite high considering the monthly cost they are quoting, simply because you would need to feed each multiple dwelling site with anything up to 10Gb+.

Not to mention the cost of the terminating equipment because they are going to need a piece of CPE that can do, multiple optical outputs for multiple 1Gb users when you take in to account the distances that limit the Cat 5/6 cable.

I know my service provider can offer up to 2.5Gb to the house without replacing any of the cables going in to the house, but it would need a upgrade of the end user CPE and the network CPE within the Hubsites which is seriously not cheap.

I would also like to know which company is going to be providing the back bone to HyperOptic, because there are not many providers out there that can say for certain that they can give 1Gb+, regardless of distance.

I seriously cannot see this being a TRUE 1Gb connection because of the cost of bandwidth on the peering links outside of the country, because otherwise there would be 1Gb connections already on offer to residential customers from other more well known ISP's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversubscription
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpon
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 18:57   #14
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

Needed to delete.

Last edited by damien c; 25th Oct 2012 at 14:57.
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 10:32   #15
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
If its too good to be true it usually is.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 12:56   #16
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.
if you are running fibre straight into properties - does that mean you have to power and put up with a big noisy NTE as well? I mean, I would, because I could just stick it in comms cupboard, but I imagine for most people, that would be a nasty noisy inconvenience!

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 13:01   #17
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

Needed to delete.

Last edited by damien c; 25th Oct 2012 at 14:57.
Old 24th Oct 2012, 16:33   #18
Hyperoptic
What's a Dremel?

Hear what Hyperoptic MD Dana Tobak has to say...

We use a point to point ethernet approach and as such the active equipment sits in a common area (usually a communications room) in the basement of a development. Our cabling is terminated in the flat with a passive RJ45 faceplate. Our router has the footprint of a normal broadband router with no additional power nor environmental conditions necessary.

Hyperoptic is not necessarily digging roads nor laying a new in-the-ground infrastructure but is using services previously used by large corporates for their connectivity. By providing this connectivity across a residential development we are able to create a residential service at a value price point for our customers. As we do not use the last mile infrastructure (read: copper network) of Openreach we do not need to pay any rental fees to them and so don't need to recover that cost in our prices.

So while we can appreciate why it may sound too good to be true, especially compared to other Fibre services, we can assure you that our business model is proven and we are committed to making our service available to suitable commercial and residential developments that welcome the benefits true fibre can bring.

If you are interested to find out more, please visit www.hyperoptic.com or email info@hyperoptic.com

Thank you for your interest in Hyperoptic.
Old 24th Oct 2012, 17:28   #19
TheDodoKiller
Supermodder

TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.
All this chit chat is making my brain feel small. I'll just say that if they can provide 1Gb and above, sign me up.
TheDodoKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2012, 08:28   #20
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

Needed to delete.

Last edited by damien c; 25th Oct 2012 at 14:58.