bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Oct 2012, 07:57   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
One nuclear war is enough

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...war-is-enough/
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2012, 08:12   #2
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Agree completely here - I played a few times with Defcon, losing and winning, and at the end of it I was just left with that melancholic dread you describe. Now it just sits unused in the games list, a silent monument to my fears.

Fantastic to play though, like all the Introversion stuff.
Old 25th Oct 2012, 08:17   #3
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
But did you kill Santa ? (Yes, this is a serious question about your gameplay)
Old 25th Oct 2012, 08:37   #4
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
HELLO SIMON. DO YOU WANT TO PLAY A GAME? _
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2012, 10:12   #5
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I played Defcon so much I was dreaming about it.

I was much, much, younger when it came out and I just saw the strategic "nuke everything" side.

I played it again the other week, added a couple of mods to it (Mostly the more real maps), and the combination of seeing the country, being older and a little wiser, made it a superbly haunting game.

Do I drop the bomb on them - Even though they're meant to be my allies - Because they're the closer threat than the USA?

Do I send my submarine fleets on what is, effectively, suicide missions to obliterate a meagre few cities and silos?

I haven't played it again since. I fear that if I play it too often, these days, I'll start shaking and rocking in the corner of the room.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2012, 11:10   #6
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
So I'm not the only one who was moved by this game.
I can shoot hundreds of people in the face in a graphically detailed FPS and feel nothing, but watching the death tolls pop up after ICBMs hit city after city left me feeling shaken.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2012, 13:17   #7
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Nexxo - I think David's discovered that the only winning move is not to play...

Last edited by pbryanw; 25th Oct 2012 at 14:01.
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2012, 13:25   #8
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
That made me laugh!

I loved Defcon, bought it on the strength of the bit-tech review & loved it so much I bought a second copy and posted it to my brother thinking we'd play against each-other online. That was about two weeks after the review, (whenever that was) and we've yet to play a game against each-other...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2012, 20:07   #9
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryanw
@Nexxo - I think David's discovered that the only winning move is not to play...
LMAO, quality.

I never finsihed one game.
I think the 7 figure casualty tally put me off.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” - Frank Zappa
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 12:28   #10
gosh
Multimodder

gosh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
finished only a couple of games and must agree, spent more time thinking of defcon than playing it. the calmness of the basic UI as it tells you dispassionately the estimated casualties of a hit on a city is definitely memorable.
gosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2012, 20:32   #11
SimonStern
Registered Lurker

SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Sure haha

I'll have to check this one out...
Old 30th Oct 2012, 13:28   #12
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
After reading this article I recently picked this game up. I'm not quite sure I can put into words the how this game makes me feel, but it certainly left an impression.

The game encourages you to place your silos near to your most populous cities, but if the enemy takes them out then you've lost already. It's quite easy to sneak your submarines quite close to the enemy shoreline, but doing so is extremely risky - once they fire a missile their location is revealed and they'll be toast if an enemy fleet moves in; therefore do you save them as your ace in the hole, or use them as a first-strike weapon to weaken enemy defences and let your silos take care of the real damage? Do you try to defend as much as possible or throw everything into an all-out attack, hoping that sheer weight of numbers will overwhelm the enemy defences? Often your careful planning and delicate strategies are casually tossed out the window as soon as the bombs start dropping. Seeing a hailstorm of ICBMs languidly sailing down into your territory in slow motion while knowing full well that you can't possibly defend against all of them is quite possibly one of the most harrowing experiences I've ever had in a game (that and Aerith from FF7, but let's not dredge up that old memory today!).

I don't know if it's the simplistic neon interface masking the brutal truth of what this game is really about, watching the "score" counts for either side racking up slowly but steadily, or the sheer terror of watching all your carefully laid plans being torn apart like a wet paper bag in a mushroom cloud... Either way, it's a pretty damn memorable game.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2012, 12:31   #13
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
When I saw pre-release stuff about this game, I couldn't wait for it. Here was the game I desperately wanted to play every since I saw Wargames, a childhood dream finally coming to fruition! And then I played it.

I suspect I killed more people in that first game than I have killed in every other game I have ever played put together. Watching my first nukes land on civilian targets and seeing the cold, clinical casualty statistics popping up was a harrowing experience indeed. The child in me was ecstatic while the adult in me was in turmoil over how I could possibly enjoy a simulation where I was *required* by the rules of the game to push the button myself and slaughter innocents in the hundreds of millions.

The soundtrack perfectly fits the mood of the game, with one of the finest little touches I've ever seen. As your population drops, the music drops in pitch and playback speed, adding an inescapable and constant reminder of your failure to the proceedings.

This game, despite the fact I play it very rarely, is firmly fixed in my top 5 favourite games list. I can heartily recommended playing this game locked to x1 speed, headphones on with the music running, intoxicant of your choice to hand - because after about 100 minutes, you'll need it pretty badly.

Last edited by StoneyMahoney; 31st Oct 2012 at 12:36.
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 22:01   #14
kged
What's a Dremel?

kged has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I only played a demo version - does the full game retain the deeply disturbing soundtrack?
kged is offline   Reply With Quote