bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Oct 2012, 09:41   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/per...ine-2-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 11:35   #2
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Am I the only person whose biggest desire with backlit keyboards is to just have a white option?

I think having bright blue or red keys (especially in a low light setting) is just really annoying. I would much rather have a dimable white key over a red or blue one any day of the week. From my searching there are very few white options available though so maybe I'm alone on this one.
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 11:47   #3
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns
Am I the only person whose biggest desire with backlit keyboards is to just have a white option?

I think having bright blue or red keys (especially in a low light setting) is just really annoying. I would much rather have a dimable white key over a red or blue one any day of the week. From my searching there are very few white options available though so maybe I'm alone on this one.
As luck would have it this very keyboard is available with white LED backlighting
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 11:52   #4
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd like a white backlit keyboard too, so this is good.

However, in low-light environments, I prefer red... it's less intrusive. Blue and green are the worst colours for backlighting in low-light environments. (I dislike the obsession the tech world current has with blue lights everywhere - they can give me a headache...)
Old 29th Oct 2012, 13:24   #5
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
As luck would have it this very keyboard is available with white LED backlighting
Yeah the problem is the freaking price tag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter
I'd like a white backlit keyboard too, so this is good.

However, in low-light environments, I prefer red... it's less intrusive. Blue and green are the worst colours for backlighting in low-light environments. (I dislike the obsession the tech world current has with blue lights everywhere - they can give me a headache...)
Can and do for me also, personally I find red light in low lighting situations strains my eyes. I understand why its used, but I still would prefer white (warm white would be easier on the eyes than cold white).

And I completely agree that the current black body with blue/green/red lights is getting pretty old. Personally I've never cared for it much at all, but after years of the same I would just love a little diversity. I wish some of these companies would show some creativity and give us something different. There are definitely other options available but they just seem to be either hardly worth the price tag (see above ) or ugly as hell
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 14:29   #6
Ivoryspike
Air Cooled

Ivoryspike has yet to learn the way of the DremelIvoryspike has yet to learn the way of the DremelIvoryspike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So apart from the programmable backlit and reactive type features, is this one the same for £50 less?

http://www.cclonline.com/product/841...board/KBD0467/
i7 920 D0 @ 3.8Ghz | Asus P6T Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 @ 1.1Ghz | 12 GB G-Skill Ripjaws @ 1600 | 1050W Enermax Evolution | Antec 1200 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2 x 3 TB HDD | Ducky Shine II Reds | Hazro HZ27WC | Samsung 2693HM
Ivoryspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 14:44   #7
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivoryspike View Post
So apart from the programmable backlit and reactive type features, is this one the same for £50 less?

http://www.cclonline.com/product/841...board/KBD0467/
That's the price you pay for backlighting on a mechanical keyboard. 109 individual LEDs soldered on to the pcb + associated electronic controller = fiddly and expensive.
Old 29th Oct 2012, 14:56   #8
Ivoryspike
Air Cooled

Ivoryspike has yet to learn the way of the DremelIvoryspike has yet to learn the way of the DremelIvoryspike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ahh sorry i thought that one was full backlit, I should have used this one as example:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/841...board/KBD0469/

Same wiring etc but with 2 extra modes for the lights (programmable backlit and reactive) for £50. Seems steep.
i7 920 D0 @ 3.8Ghz | Asus P6T Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 @ 1.1Ghz | 12 GB G-Skill Ripjaws @ 1600 | 1050W Enermax Evolution | Antec 1200 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2 x 3 TB HDD | Ducky Shine II Reds | Hazro HZ27WC | Samsung 2693HM
Old 29th Oct 2012, 14:59   #9
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL Product Page
Illuminated keyboard, charming and fascinating

The £50 is because it's the new model. Capitalism baby. £100 isn't a bad price for the Shine 1 at all though, shame I don't like blacks.
Old 29th Oct 2012, 15:07   #10
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.
These are available in all 4 common switch type (red, brown, blue, black) and several color of backlight. There is also a tenkeyless version out as well. There are a few improvement over the first version of shine, most notably v2 will remember the backlight setting between power off.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 15:11   #11
Ivoryspike
Air Cooled

Loved that description

Bleh damn Capitalism + UK hike... $145 in the states

Yeah I am pretty much all ready to splash out and get my first mech keyboard and the Shine 1 seems to fit the bill. Not sure on what colour mx to get, kinda decided to get reds (typically £15 more expensive than blacks in CCL at least).

What colour did ya go for?
Old 29th Oct 2012, 15:14   #12
Ivoryspike
Air Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol
These are available in all 4 common switch type (red, brown, blue, black) and several color of backlight. There is also a tenkeyless version out as well. There are a few improvement over the first version of shine, most notably v2 will remember the backlight setting between power off.
Yeah, I like the look of the tenkeyless version, will have to weigh up how much I use it atm. I suppose that could get quite annoying, not remembering between power off.... hmmm £50 though.
Old 29th Oct 2012, 15:21   #13
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Thanks lysol, should have know that really

I've tried the four main Cherry MX switches and I like reds best followed by browns. If I were a pure typist I'd probably pick blues over the lot but only if the noise wasn't an issue... blacks were just too firm for me.
Old 29th Oct 2012, 16:56   #14
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.
Order from international, and hope you don't get slammed at the customs for fees...
I just thought I would mention those things since they really were not in the review. There is a lot more choices than what is mentioned.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 20:04   #15
m0ngy
Banned

m0ngy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another lackluster review from Bit-tech.

I've had a Ducky II for a couple of months, and it's an excellent keyboard. It's almost perfect in it's minimalism, even to the extent it's purely plug and play, no software required. At the highest brightness setting the backlighting is certainly "garish", but no-one's going to use it. The lowest setting provides optimal visibility while being an excellent pitch, so it's really a mute point. The Cherry MX black keys suck (had a Thermaltake Meka G-Unit previously), few mechanical keyboard users buy them, but that didn't stop Bit-tech reviewing 'em, did it? With a purely linear feel and no tactile feedback they're merely OK for gaming, and they suck for typing. You'll find most people using browns or blues, often with rubber o-rings to cut down noise. I note you gave the K60 86%, yet it's not even backlit, which is pretty damn important. Oh, but it does have multimedia keys and that brushed aluminium is sooo sexy... talk about style over substance! Also, as others have commented, the UK RRP is ridiculous, and can be bought for around US$150 from any e-tailer, so that's another mute point.
m0ngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 20:23   #16
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Just a point m0ngy, you only ever seem to post on here how **** you think Bit-tech is. Have you ever considered that you might be reading the wrong site?

Bit-tech does component reviews well, but attempts to cater to a wider audience with the occasional peripheral/monitor review. These are at best opinion pieces written by reviewers whose expertise lies elsewhere, but are an entry point for those who don't venture into the forums too often.

Just take them for what the are. Quite frankly keyboards, speakers etc. are so subjective that reviews are only ever opinion pieces wherever you read them. A reviewer given a 'board with a switch type they don't get on with will likely heap criticism on it, whereas it will be the perfect choice for someone else.
Old 29th Oct 2012, 20:28   #17
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
I have the Ducky "Year of the Dragon" which is, as I understand it, essentially the TKL version of this board. Love it, definitely worth the price tag; less than 10 GBP more than the equivalent Filco once delivery is factored in and the Filco has no lighting.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 20:43   #18
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy View Post
Another lackluster review from Bit-tech.

I've had a Ducky II for a couple of months, and it's an excellent keyboard. It's almost perfect in it's minimalism, even to the extent it's purely plug and play, no software required. At the highest brightness setting the backlighting is certainly "garish", but no-one's going to use it. The lowest setting provides optimal visibility while being an excellent pitch, so it's really a mute point. The Cherry MX black keys suck (had a Thermaltake Meka G-Unit previously), few mechanical keyboard users buy them, but that didn't stop Bit-tech reviewing 'em, did it? With a purely linear feel and no tactile feedback they're merely OK for gaming, and they suck for typing. You'll find most people using browns or blues, often with rubber o-rings to cut down noise. I note you gave the K60 86%, yet it's not even backlit, which is pretty damn important. Oh, but it does have multimedia keys and that brushed aluminium is sooo sexy... talk about style over substance! Also, as others have commented, the UK RRP is ridiculous, and can be bought for around US$150 from any e-tailer, so that's another mute point.
Cherry Black switches are still popular, currently using them with no intentions of changing (having had boards with reds, blues, browns)
Also people who use o-rings are misguided, the noise is half of the awesomeness! ;D

Backlighting is important to some, not to others, just like most of the things you're commenting on. Peripherals aren't as easy to review as a cpu, it isn't just 'better', it's more personal.
The UK RRP is relevant since this is a UK site really...
Old 29th Oct 2012, 21:18   #19
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
want vs need is coming on strong
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2012, 21:52   #20
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Trying to review a keyboard or mouse is like trying to rate the looks of a pc case, personal opinion just happens to be very important.

Anyway, I don't see much wrong with the review, it explains the functionality, mentions problems (backlight flickering) and so on.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote