bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 28th Aug 2014, 21:27   #1
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Whats the current opinion on Vauxhall ?

Greetings all !

I may in a few months time find myself in a position where I will have some cash to play with and quite a substantial amount.

I'll be looking to buy a new to me (used but fairly recent car) I've been looking around at local dealers and I'm finding myself drawn to the Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.4 Turbo. I've had Vauxhalls before, a Corsa and a Vectra which I got ride of 3 years ago. The Corsa I had some 8 years ago and that was pretty trouble free motoring for 18 months and the Vectra wasn't terrible.

I seem to recall having to replace the steering wrack on the Vectra and having the ECU repaired on it.

I've looked at a few online reviews, but I find them to be mixed at best, there just appears to be no middle ground there's either a review raving about the car or one absolutely slating it.

My reason for looking at a Vauxhall is because in my own rather fuzzy logic I'd like something that if in the even that it does go wrong it's not going to be a real ball ache and costly to fix.

I don't do mega milage, more like 6,000 miles a year if I'm lucky, so I don't need a Diesel.

Won't be trading in my current car, that's newer than my Donna's car so I will be giving that to her (Nissan Almera 1.5 SE 10 years old, 64,000 miles on the clock) as her P reg 306 Diesel although running is really showing its age now.

Willing to listen to sensible suggestions about other brands too - but have kinda ruled BMW's, Lexus etc.

Of course it all depends on how much money I get, I'm looking to spend about 8k on a car, and sorta looking at things of 6 years old and up to approx. 4 years old.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2014, 21:35   #2
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Skoda all the way: Audi build quality at Vauxhall prices. Hondas are also safe bets. Else look at the latest Koreans: Hyundai, Kia.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2014, 21:48   #3
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's the thing with Skoda, some of them even used are fetching Audi money around here, but I do like them

I haven't ruled out Kia, my Dad had a Ceed and it was brilliant car.
Old 28th Aug 2014, 21:55   #4
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Skoda all the way: Audi build quality at Vauxhall prices. Hondas are also safe bets. Else look at the latest Koreans: Hyundai, Kia.
Pretty much this.

Can't go wrong with a Honda!
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2014, 22:02   #5
LennyRhys
Air Cooled

LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.
Just bought a 08 plate Vectra SRi because the general consensus seemed to be that Vauxhall are pretty good bang for buck, especially 3-5K. Actually most of my mates are really surprised how little we paid for our car given its age, condition and mileage.

Skodas... well that depends on your budget. Toyotas are also worth considering, but for us they were just that little bit too expensive.
Old 28th Aug 2014, 22:54   #6
AlphaAngel
Hypermodder

AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.
What's the actual budget? I enjoy trying to find good cars and bargains.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 07:27   #7
LennyRhys
Air Cooled

LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.
8K - it's hiding there at the end of OP.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 08:45   #8
Behemoth
Timelord in training

While I say 8k it all depends on how much money comes my way. If I only get 4k thats only going to get me a car round here in North Somerset a year or two newer than what I have, which would be really silly as I'd like to upgrade rather and get something newer.

I have been looking last night at Skoda Octavia's although the majority of them seem to be Diesel.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 10:23   #9
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
We have a Ceed 1.6, awesome car but I wish we'd got the diesel instead. The economy is fine but it's pretty gutless and at 70mph you're doing nearly 4000rpm in fifth

My Primera 2.2DCi is infinitely more "grunty" and sits at about 2400rpm at 70 in 6th - I know which I prefer driving... although the Kia is a nicer place to be aesthetically.

The new Pro-Ceed has a stupid name but it's a good looking car imho, and it's built better than the majority of major mainstream brands for substantially less money (think VW clunk when you shut the doors, minimal wind noise etc.)

A friend of mine has an Octavia vRS diesel estate - great fun - but as you say they actually don't undercut VW/Audi by much any more, especially used.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 10:42   #10
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Vauxhalls are good but the engines (like mine and a few other people I know) don't like to last. Mine blew up on the motorway and it was that bad the engine block melted.
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2014, 11:14   #11
yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
I have a recent model Insignia SRi Nav model, and can find little to fault it in terms of finish and build quality.

That said, like any car they have their own issues, I have had to get the wheel speed sensor cable loom replaced (poor design, subject to breaking ) and a power steering hose replaced (damaged during a service visit - so garage paid for it).

I went for the 1.8 petrol NA version, which was not the best choice as there is little low end torque, and not the best fuel economy (30 mpg).
Next time I'll be tempted to go Diesel, maybe.

It's a nice car to drive, very comfortable, looks great (in my opinion ), and the equipment level is pretty nice too.

Vauxhall are a good option in my book, good build quality for less than Audi prices. It was a close call for me between an A4 and the Insignia, but I got more car for the money with the Vauxhall.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 12:31   #12
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Thats why I keep going back to look at Vuahall as it seems like a lot of car (and toys) for the money.

I have driven the Kia 1.6 CRDI and that was a brilliant car to drive, and I've not ruled that out either, my ownly concer isbecause my milage is so little that the DPF need regenerating every so often and with a 3 mile daily commute in stop start traffic I may end doing damage to it. But then I'm not sure when they started putting the DPF in the Ceed.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 12:50   #13
Scroome
I don't do red...

Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.Scroome is definitely a rep cheat.
Vauxhalls alright, if you're into leather or bears.........

Oh wait. Wrong discussion.

I've heard nothing but good things from my mates with their cars. Not the greatest on fuel economy though.
Scroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2014, 13:07   #14
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thats why I keep going back to look at Vuahall as it seems like a lot of car (and toys) for the money.

I have driven the Kia 1.6 CRDI and that was a brilliant car to drive, and I've not ruled that out either, my ownly concer isbecause my milage is so little that the DPF need regenerating every so often and with a 3 mile daily commute in stop start traffic I may end doing damage to it. But then I'm not sure when they started putting the DPF in the Ceed.
Non-problem, just take her for a little leg-stretch on the open road for 10 minutes once a month, rev things up a bit, and you'll keep her sweet for moon miles
Old 29th Aug 2014, 14:24   #15
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Non-problem, just take her for a little leg-stretch on the open road for 10 minutes once a month, rev things up a bit, and you'll keep her sweet for moon miles
Hmm there are some at a good price round here, may need to test drive a few
Old 29th Aug 2014, 22:17   #16
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
I've been looking at Octavia's for when i eventually get myself onto the road, I thought, given the size an Octavia is, would be based on a VW Passat, turns out, it's actually a Golf. One thing i've noticed in my area of Hampshire, 98% of Taxi's, are Skoda TDi's.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2014, 01:37   #17
mrlongbeard
Hypermodder

mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd sooner any car than a Skoda.
Sure people like to say they're a clever VW for less money, but by Christ it shows, horrible places to spend longer than 30 minutes in, cheap materials badly thrown together and the worlds most uncomfortable seats.

Opinion based on the wife having an Octavia and a Passat back to back as company cars, they're cheaper for a reason.
mrlongbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2014, 09:05   #18
mrbungle
Undercooked chicken giver

mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.
Old GM vauxhalls had solid engines but rusted away pretty quick!

Current ones not so sure on but don't think they have the solid engines they used to but then who does these days with all the emissions crap they have on them.
Old 30th Aug 2014, 17:09   #19
keir
S p i t F i r e

keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
We're currently using a 63 plate Corsa as a curtisy car, Awful. Coming from SEAT the build quality and interior is poor.
keir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2014, 19:35   #20
yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keir View Post
We're currently using a 63 plate Corsa as a curtisy car, Awful. Coming from SEAT the build quality and interior is poor.
You will usually find that courtesy cars are pretty low spec/entry models.

Pick a decent trim level and it's nice place, although I can only comment on the Insignia and previously a Vectra. I did at one point own a Nova but not sure anything could live up to that interior

I always think VAG cars look like the interior was designed using only a T square and set square.

PS, just looked up images of Corsa interiors, ghastly.

Last edited by yodasarmpit; 30th Aug 2014 at 20:10.
yodasarmpit is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode