bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 16th Oct 2014, 09:10   #1
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Places to go for a week away/weekend break

I've got a weeks holiday next month which will be the week when it's my birthday. Myself and Mrs B are planning a trip away.

We had originally planned to goto Amsterdam, but shes gotten cold feet over the idea due to the current state of affairs with ebola so thinks it a good idea to stay in the UK.

I had originally thought of some kind of city break somewhere, did think of Cardiff as we have a few friends up there and it would be nice to see them as we haven't seen our friends for ages. However I also thouh I would sooner get away from all the stress of roaming round a large city and would prefer something a big more relaxing.

We like pubs, decent food and are happy going for a queit walk for no reason, tha said walking anywhere in November weather may be a bit of a challenge.

The biggest thing for however is being able to take a total break from computers (shock !) and mobile phones. I work in a call cenre monday to friday and just to escape the stress of speaking to someone on the phone for a week would be lovely. It would also give us some time alone together one to one without her constantlyplaying rubbish games on facebook which really grinds my gears currently.

Quite happy to drive have been looking at country lodges etc in Wales etc. Don't really want to goto Cornwall as thats where I come from and if I goto Cornwall I'll be expected to go spend the time visiting people who haven't bothered to make any sort of contact with me since I've been living in Weston and have driven by my house (well the M5) on the way to Bristol.

Somewhere quite pretty with nice views, giving me an opportunity to get my camera out and actually learn to use it and experiment maybe

Anyway ladies and gents, answers on a post card please
Old 16th Oct 2014, 09:38   #2
Tomhyde1986
Supermodder

Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tomhyde1986 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Although you aren't mad keen on a city break York is well worth a visit.

It's a lovely city and you have access to the whole of Yorkshire to explore. It's a beautiful county with loads of walking and photography options.

I haven't been in years and only on a work visit but I really enjoyed my brief time there.
Tomhyde1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2014, 09:44   #3
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Over the last few years Mrs K and I have been to Bath, York and Lincoln for short breaks and loved all of them. We're off on another mini break next weekend for a few days to Edinburgh and are thoroughly looking forward to it - I'll report back
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2014, 10:17   #4
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
The Lake District is gorgeous and well worth a visit.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2014, 10:39   #5
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Behemoth is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
York does sound nice with allt he Yorkshire countryside to hand. Hadn't thought of that.

Mrs B says the choice is mine, but with that being said I want her to have a say in the matter too as at the end of the day its no fun if only one person is happy.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 10:45   #6
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
How about Weston-Super-Mare?

They have a lovely pier
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2014, 10:51   #7
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
A little bit further to drive, but I do like our annual winter trip to Aviemore for the weekend.

Lots of nice eating and drinking places, great views and you can go up the mountains on the funicular.
A big early in the year for snow sports, but that doesn't really matter.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 10:59   #8
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Have you ever done Edinburgh?

Mrs G (Following your convention) is a native, so we're up there all the time and it's great.

Loads to do in and around the city, country walks, hill walks, museums, night-life, restaurants etc. Offers everything you could want from a city break, but with the added benefit of a short drive in any direction taking you into the wilds.

So while Edinburgh is a great location for a city break... it's not the place I'm going to recommend.

You want to be away from the tech, so I'm suggesting you go a bit further North so it all feels a bit more wild. We've had a couple of family holidays in the Dunkeld area. It's only another 90m North of Edinburgh but is about as 'Highlands' as you can get without driving all damn day.

Depends on your love for driving though. The roads are so much nicer in Scotland, quieter without the 'Agghhh rush rush' you get down South. Places seem further way from each other, but I'd rather drive an hour through lovely mountains than 45minutes around a city bypass.

A third option, but sticking with the Scotland theme, is to B&B it and break up the drive.

- 2 night in or around the Lakes
- 2 nights in Edinburgh
- 2 nights North of Edinburgh to get that true Highland feel

A fourth option, and one of my favourite places in the UK is to go to the Isle of Skye. Amazing place, amazing scenery and top-notch for photography. It's a bit of a trek north, but more than worth it if you're not tied down by kids or what not.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2014, 11:02   #9
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
A fourth option, and one of my favourite places in the UK is to go to the Isle of Skye. Amazing place, amazing scenery and top-notch for photography. It's a bit of a trek north, but more than worth it if you're not tied down by kids or what not.
Or the Orkney islands are also amazing - though even further North!

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2014, 11:18   #10
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Whenever we want to get out of Cornwall and go on a break within the UK, we tend to go to one of three locations:

Aviemore, it's an excellent place if you want a relaxing outdoor experience with plenty of places to walk and a great selection of places to eat.

Cotswolds, lots of lovely villages and scenery to explore. They often have various events going on throughout the year across the Cotswolds and it's also a great location if you enjoy cycling.

New Forest, I absolutely love going here to photograph wildlife and plenty of wide open space which makes for a great escape from all things technology. The Palance House in Beaulieu Listen (near the edge of New Forest) is also a great sight and a joy to explore the grounds.

Alternatively... If you're after a city break then I'd highly recommend Leeds.
I always find it such a wonderful place to visit that's full of life and lots of things to do. The interactive museums are a blast for family activities and there's a number of theatres and entertainment venues across the area.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 11:19   #11
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Dorset, isle of Purbeck Kimmeridge which is a marine reserve and charmouth bay where you can hack at the cliff edge for fossils, amazing place I have some great fossils one being over a foot long

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2014, 12:43   #12
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapBag View Post
How about Weston-Super-Mare?

They have a lovely pier
Cheeky get !

Pier in Weston is nice but it costs 1.00 per person to get on these days.

WIll run these suggestions by Mrs B and see what she thinks.

Although I suspect Scotland may be a bit too far, but we shall see
Old 16th Oct 2014, 17:01   #13
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
If you're thinking Wales, why not try Llandeilo? Nice town, nice amenities.
Western edge of the Brecon Beacons with plenty of landscapes and castles as well as the Red Kite Centre; close to the National Botanical Garden of Wales and Aberglasney Gardens. Within driving distance of Pendine and the Gower coasts. Depending on how long you were staying, Cardiff is only really 90 minutes or so away.

I may be slightly biased, though, as it's on my doorstep - but it is closer than Scotland!
Old 16th Oct 2014, 19:23   #14
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
What about the Derbyshire's Peak District? Good views above ground, lot's of caverns to visit below ground, plenty of pubs and its only a stones throw away from Manchester and Sheffield.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2014, 20:18   #15
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Skye is a beautiful island and has a bridge so easy to get to.

However, ebola while a concern internationally is worrying a bit too much.

I'm just back from Budapest today. A wonderful city and your money goes far there. Much further than it will in Amsterdam.

If I start showing symptoms around 10 days from now I'll let you know.
Crucial 64GB M4 SSD; Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB; Asus P5Q Deluxe P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard; Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache; Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower Case; OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU; 2 x Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4; GeForce 9800 GTX+
freshsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:05   #16
jinq-sea
#BBERG

jinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Late to the party, but Jersey is a lovely spot for a few days away! Beaches, sea, cliffs, relaxation, that sort of thing, plus some good food!

Keyboards, various. (More than I have hands and feet...)
i7-3770K // P8Z77-I Deluxe // 8Gb Ballistix // 770 // 256Gb M4 // 250D // AX850 // 3008WFP // 2i2 // Rokit 5 G2
jinq-sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:10   #17
Pookie
FHRITP!

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would leave the wife home and go with a mate to Amsterdam. Just sayin
Fractal R4/ GA-X58A-UD3R / Corsair RM850/ Westmere Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz Hex core / Corsair H60 (2013 Model) with 2 x Corsair SP120 / Corsair Force GT 120 SSD /Sapphire R9 290X / 12GB (3x4GB)Corsair Dominator 1600mhz with Airflow Kit / AOC i2757fm 27" IPS Monitor/ Razer Lachesis.
Rotel RA-02 Amplifier/ B&W DM601 S3/ QED XT350 With Airlock plugs/All QED Interconnects.

http://www.compucare.co.uk/
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:50   #18
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's pure scaremongering by the news about catching Ebola, if you were planning a break in certain African states I might re-think it, but within the EU the risk is the same as staying in the UK.
Old Yesterday, 15:18   #19
Yadda
Supermodder

Yadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming Saiyan
A November holiday in Blighty, or Ebola. Hmm, that's a tough one...

View Mode