bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 13th Jun 2010, 04:09   #1
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

I just realized we have a "Films" category but no movie thread !

I'll start.

I just watched She's out of my League and, although I was expecting it to be good, I was still pleasantly surprised by how well made and believable it was (apart from a few scenes). I could explain the story but it wouldn't mean much. The title already says a lot about what will happen in the movie (and so did the trailer), but what made it good was the characters themselves (and the actors portraying them).

Before I started the film I was moody, no, I was pissed off actually. I got work to do for an exam and it got me mad, long story. Anyway just a few minutes into the movie I already had a smile on my face and it stayed until after it was over. It's a very good movie for average joes looking for hope

Recommended (7.5/10)

For the record, I'm a pretty harsh critic so 7.5 is very good on my scale

Bindi Edit: - lets sort out a post format - how about..

Title:
Rating: (out of 10)
(Brief) Reasons:
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 13th Jun 2010 at 06:02. Reason: added format
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 05:02   #2
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The Machinist - good movie, lots of plot twist and not too long

7.5/10 which is fair to good in my book, would definitely watch again
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 05:30   #3
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
'Boy' - a kiwi film.
probably 8/10 - story was pretty pointless but acting was good
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 05:59   #4
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
A-Team

Was a very good movie.

Also watch The Stranger a few days ago. That was pretty good too.

I'm not a good movie critic so I don't give a rating.

EDIT: sorry Bindi! mine sucks. lol

Last edited by talladega; 13th Jun 2010 at 06:06.
talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 06:04   #5
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Added a format to the first post.

Title: Micmacs
Rating: 7/10
Reasons: Enjoyable, quirky, a bit stupid and unlikely but fun to watch. Same director as Delicatessen but tries to hard to make it like his previous movies: not everything fits the same format perfectly.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 07:12   #6
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Just watched another movie

Title : Youth in Revolt
Rating : 7/10

It was another enjoyable movie about a guy who's not good enough for girls (or so he thinks). Okay I admit I totally look like an emo for watching two movies in a row on this subject but I didn't expect Y&R to be about this tbh

It doesn't stay that way for too long for Michael Cera's character however and soon enough his character changes completely (good for us, bad for his entourage, hah!). Cera's playing the same character he plays in every movie but he was also cast for those role for a reason; he fits them perfectly.

He is not alone on screen however and I must say I was impressed by Portia Doubleday whom I had never heard of before. She is beautiful as Sheeni and she did a great job, especially during her first few scenes where she's quite mysterious and you just can't know what she's really up to

This was not the funniest movie ever, nor was it Cera's funniest. It was, however, good entertainment with no pacing issue. The whole movie flies by and I consider that a good sign of quality
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
Old 13th Jun 2010, 07:55   #7
TheMusician
Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

TheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheMusician has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
District 9.
9/10.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 10:51   #8
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Title: The Losers
Rating: 8/10
Reasons: Enjoyable, quirky, a bit stupid and fun to watch. I had no idea what it was going to be like. I'd seen posters and trailers but wasn't immediately impressed. One on-the-house staff ticket from my good buddy October though, and I was sitting watching one of the most fun films I've seen lately Notable points - awesome weapons (that KA SR-25 with the suppressor and bipod that Cougar was using had me drooling), Zoe Saldana hotness, Chris Evans hilarity and overall but not 100% tactical strategy and weapons accuracy. It was certainly nothing like the "horribly inaccurate in every way once a gun is on screen" piece of hollywood drivel that the trailer or posters made it out to be, which was a pleasent surprise

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit

Last edited by Unicorn; 13th Jun 2010 at 11:17.
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 11:14   #9
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Title: Four Lions
Rating: 10/10
Reasons: Another fantastic piece of work from Chris Morris, full of surreal moments, risky jokes and ridiculous social stereotyping. Genuinely one of the most hilarious film I have ever seen, made even better by the audience who were at least 90% of the asian community.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 11:48   #10
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Title: Zombieland
Reasons: Good, funny and short zombie comedy that pokes fun at itself and the whole genre. Its only like an hour and 20 mins long which makes it almost quite disposable. Bill Murray makes a brief cameo and its got some stylish touches throughout.

Title: The Men who Stare at Goats
Reasons: Watched this on a recommendation from a house mate. Its a little bizarre but the cast is good (Clooney, Spacey, McGregor, Bridges) and they pull off some good performances. You're never quite sure exactly how much truth is in the story (at the start the film claims "more of this is true than you would think") which is kind of a good thing as it'd be unbelievable if the film claimed to be absolute truth and inconsequential if it was simply a fantasy. The fun bit is guessing which of the events depicted actually took place.
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 12:27   #11
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material View Post
Reasons: Good, funny and short zombie comedy that pokes fun at itself and the whole genre. Its only like an hour and 20 mins long which makes it almost quite disposable. Bill Murray makes a brief cameo and its got some stylish touches throughout.
Emma Stone That's all I'm sayin'

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit
Old 13th Jun 2010, 12:46   #12
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Shutter Island

8/10

Didn't have much expectations/idea what kinda film I was starting, and this sure turned out to be a pleasant surprise. One line review: didn't see that coming.

(Also my vote history on imdb if someone cares)
Old 13th Jun 2010, 13:43   #13
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
When Emma Stone did her impression of Janine (Annie Potts), I'm pretty sure she cemented herself into the hearts of all male twenty/thirty-somethings across the world.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 14:19   #14
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Definitely.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 14:33   #15
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
yes...she may have something to do with it too...

...shotgun...eye shadow...thing for geeks...*sigh*
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 14:34   #16
Red Eye
Multimodder

Red Eye has yet to learn the way of the DremelRed Eye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Title: A single man
Reasons: Wonderful debut from Tom Ford, Colin Firth fits the role like a glove. Every scene looks like a perfume advert. The movie may aswell be called "Bereavement by Calvin Klein"

Suggested thread format:

Title:
Rating:
Reasons:
(optional?) If you liked this try:
Old 13th Jun 2010, 17:42   #17
knuck
Hate your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa View Post
Shutter Island

8/10

Didn't have much expectations/idea what kinda film I was starting, and this sure turned out to be a pleasant surprise. One line review: didn't see that coming.

(Also my vote history on imdb if someone cares)
10 for Futurama ? 10 for Mythbusters ?

You sir, have just earned yourself some rep !
Old 13th Jun 2010, 19:44   #18
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Thanks Ghys.

Green Zone
7/10
Lotsa hype, ended up being rather generic. Still 7 points for making it in the first place I guess. Still kept me watching, so I guess it wasn't too bad

Still prefer somewhat similar Hurt Locker over this one.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 20:48   #19
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Title: Jennifer's Body
7/10
Most people won't like it, but don't take the movie seriously and you'll probably enjoy it. It makes fun of itself, and there are plenty of great lines throughout. "Nice hardware, ace". I probably wouldn't have appreciated it if I was at all older..

Title: Moon
9/10
Best Sci-fi movie of 2009 IMO, nobody saw it. If anyone has seen Sunshine, it's fairly similar though with less suspense. Really neat setup, Sam Rockwell is a great actor (though he wasn't as good in Choke or Iron Man 2..)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
2/10
I went to a fancy art movie theater to see this supposedly awesome movie.. The story was ridiculously predictable, the characters were vaguely memorable, but all generic. The leading man was too ugly, like distractingly ugly. Many unnecessary scenes (revenge rape, broken bottle fight, corpse faces), waaaaay too long. The best part of the movie was hearing people speak Swedish for two and a half hours.

Next movies I'm going to see are Wristcutters: A Love Story, Solaris (the new one), Toy Story 3, and Eclipse (I was dragged to the previous two as well).

Last edited by docodine; 13th Jun 2010 at 20:55.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2010, 20:58   #20
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa View Post
Thanks Ghys.

Green Zone
7/10
Lotsa hype, ended up being rather generic. Still 7 points for making it in the first place I guess. Still kept me watching, so I guess it wasn't too bad

Still prefer somewhat similar Hurt Locker over this one.
It's interesting to hear your opinion on that. I'd have said Green Zone 8/10 and Hurt Locker 9/10 purely for having a more realistic and dramatic (in a hard hitting way) story. Maybe not even the story, but how it was portrayed. Also, you've got the "holy crap, he's in it, and so is he!" factor with the Hurt Locker, whereas Green Zone was just "Oh, it's him, and her, and him..". Green Zone was a very enjoyable movie for me, but based purely on realism, accuracy and how the action was put on screen, The Hurt Locker gets a slightly higher score from me. The direction was absolutely amazing.

Tags
films, pasteurized 4 life, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode