bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 31st Oct 2012, 11:46   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
NZXT launches Kraken sealed-loop coolers

Asetek ODM models get a 140mm twist.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar.../nzxt-kraken/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2012, 12:02   #2
cave_diver
Modding Virgin

cave_diver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd be very interested in this ... Good to see something a bit different too (SATA power). There hasn't been much innovation in this area. Although I am very tempted by the Antec 920 if I can ever save enough up!

one idea I've yet to see is to use a Peltier TEC cooler to get the heat off the CPU which is then water cooled - might help get temps even further down, however, extra power is needed

Folding with: E3400, U7300, Opteron, E6750, Athlon64, 8800GTX x 2, GTX260 x 2
http://piro.pirocast.net/badge/fah01...255/538862.png
cave_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2012, 13:43   #3
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave_diver
one idea I've yet to see is to use a Peltier TEC cooler to get the heat off the CPU which is then water cooled - might help get temps even further down, however, extra power is needed
Dont they generally use more power than the CPU it's cooling though? It seems incredibly unnecessary unless you are going for extreme overclock benchmarks but dont want to use liquid nitrogen.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2012, 23:01   #4
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Go to see new competition but new designs are also welcome because at the distance, they will perform almost the same and the price difference will be the only factor to count in.

I tried to held myself but I have to do it.... RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
(I'll go get my coat)
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 00:52   #5
Nicodemus_MM
What's a Dremel?

Nicodemus_MM has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
I'd be very interested in this ... Good to see something a bit different too (SATA power). There hasn't been much innovation in this area. Although I am very tempted by the Antec 920 if I can ever save enough up!

One thing to keep in mind is that when a TEC fails it becomes an excellent insulator. It's about the only cooling product with that property. Most other coolers will suffer greatly in performance upon critical failure, but they still dissipate some heat. Otherwise they're pretty nice and are even stackable, I'd just be wary of it failing. Maybe only use it for suicide runs, not 24/7. YMMV. Good luck.
Nicodemus_MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 11:43   #6
Stanley Tweedle
Ultramodder

Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farting Bob
Quote:
Dont they generally use more power than the CPU it's cooling though? It seems incredibly unnecessary unless you are going for extreme overclock benchmarks but dont want to use liquid nitrogen.
They can do especially if you go extreme as I used to do with 226w peltier. At full power that's double what a CPU will consume. There are ways to balance consumption though and if you're not aiming for below ambient cooling then the power consumption doesn't have to be that great. Digital control of peltier can be effective especially if there's a management interface to allow the user to create own profiles. I'd love to see a peltier+liquid system. I miss the days of having a peltier on my CPU. You could have a peltier+water loop with peltier adjusted automatically based on CPU load. Peltiers are incredibly versatile so it's a shame the PC cooling industry is afraid to use them now.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
Stanley Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
140mm, 280mm, asetek, cooling, kraken x40, kraken x60, nzxt kraken, pump, radiator, sealed-loop, watercooling