1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mini-PC - Finished (New account and a new mod)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sissilisko, 31 Oct 2012.

?

This is for my mom, so windows 7 or easy use ubuntu (if there is one)

1. Ubuntu

20.8%
  2. Windows 7

79.2%
  1. Sissilisko

Sissilisko What's a Dremel?

Okay, im making a really "****ing" tiny pc for my mom for christmast present.. idea is not to make any "Super" computer with crossfire's or sli's, just a regular computer with amd's apu technology.

so im super poor but i got this chance to make this and im gona use it, i dont have almost any tools at my own house but im in this "workshop" what city keeps up for jobless and stuff so we get something to do and we learn stuff... and im jobless so im in there and this is my possibility.

BUT WITH WHAT MONEY! - worry not, i have made thread of my htpc mod that didnt finished cause i got broke down.. well im using the apu 6 from there and sell some of the stuff to do this cause i really want my mom to have new computer.

---SPECIFICS---

Hardware:
    - ASROCK FM1 A75M-ITX M-ITX
    - AMD APU A6 X4 3670
    - Scythe Big Shuriken 2 rev.B (probably)
    - Ituner PicoPSU 150W (probably)
    - 1x Scythe Kaze Jyu Slim 1000 (it's 100mm fan)

and the case is made from "MDF" what is some kind of glued wood, i know what it is but my English isnt good enough to explain it to you guys :D

the work start's on the next post.

PS: could someone please tell me how to ask sponsors? i am really broke and i could use a "free" motherboard, itx boards aint that cheap even thou they are small....

Last edited: 12 Feb 2013
  2. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Technically the first post is supposed to contain actual work. Also, search for the guide to sponsorship and start there. There is definitely some good information around bit-tech that is already freely available and worth the read.

Good luck with this mate, most of us can definitely relate to your pain of having "limited funds and ideas measured in tons" mentality :hehe:

Hope it works out for you, and when all else fails just get creative with recycling existing materials! There are some really amazing project logs on this site from people who use 100% or nearly 100% recycle.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Moro.

I could send you some stuff from my earlier mITX-projects. I've got a 450W SFX-PSU from a Silverstone Sugo 05 and a Prolimatech Samuel 17 lying around, if you're interested. Ontop I offer you some two very silent 120mm Scythe S-Flex 800RPM for cooling the whole thing.
    All stuff in very good condition ofc and barely used.

For the motherboard... I've got a perfectly working Gigabyte H55N-USB3 with an i5-760 aswell, but you'd need a small GPU, as the i5-760 doesn't sport integrated graphics. Some 2 or 4GB RAM I should find aswell.

OH... and it's the wrong forum ;)

EDIT: What the heck... I'd even throw you a perfectly fine and allmost unused LianLi Q08-B case with all the above, so you'd basically only need a small GPU and a HDD.

HandMadeAndroid and Mechh69 like this.
  4. Sissilisko

so HERE WE GO!
    idea is to make as small and quiet pc as possible for my mom to Christmas present : )

sorry i had "plans" what i modified on paper and theee paper is gone so it's just to wait and see what is coming : P

and sorry for no taking more pictures, im terrible with cameras and im always keep forgetting to take pictures

so i got my material and cutted some of the pieces off
    [​IMG]

time to glue the pieces together,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

while the sides is gluing there is time to make a ventilation hole on the bottom part
    i forgot (once again) to take pictures of the drilling but here is pictures of cutting session
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh and i made a smiley face : P
    [​IMG]

then time to take the most left overs away with a bigger toys..
    [​IMG]

and then just regular sanding
    [​IMG]

my lunch at the work shop... nomnom.
    [​IMG]

The glue has finally dry and it's looking good, looking better after sanding thou
    [​IMG]

test fitting with the bottom piece
    [​IMG]
    the markings was made for scythe slip stream fan but i changed my mind.

i forgot to make the side ventilation holes before hand so i managed to find a way to make them afterwards, not the best way cause the circular saw isn't the best as you can see from the first cut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but they arent that bad... and i tried to fix them a bit with a file but it wasn't good (the file i mean)

but but, time to glue bot to the sides...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this is it for this time.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2012
  5. Sissilisko

sorry it was coming soon but you guys were just incredible fast :D or i was so slow xD
    i once saw it but it's so long and sometimes just so hard to understand : P ( im from Finland and not best at english but got to check it out again.
    oh and about the recycle would work on some parts like i use my old prosessor and stuff but even on the case there aint much wood : D and some parts are just extremely rare in Finland to find used... but thanks for advise : )

Hi.
    Thanks for the offer but most of those isnt what i need but i really could use the Prolimatech Samuel 17 and the ram if you could find them and i could even pay something of them. basically i don't need GPU cause of the amd apu's, they already have gpu and im using apu 6.

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Looking good! :)
    But you should consider resizing your pics... Took my phone forever to load! :)

7. Sissilisko

Thank you : ) and it might be a quite a lot of work to start resizing all the pictures cause i dont a specific program or good program for that..
    and you could consider on using computer for bit-tech cause what iv seen and probably you also have seen that so many do doesn't resize the pictures and it would be a hella lot of hassle for everybody to resize all them pictures just for few who uses phone?
    but still it's just my opinion.

8. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Wow, what a rude reply.

Even when using a desktop screen the pictures don't fit properly as they are too big. Also they are not sharp and take forever to load. Each of your pictures is between 1.5 and 2.5 mb, so I probably have to download 50mb of data just to load this page.

Just batch resize your pictures to something like 800x600. Try Irfanview, it can resize all your pictures at one and it is free.

http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/1028/

9. Sissilisko

well i am sorry if my reply was i bit rude, and i think i really start to use some program to resize the pictures if even computer users have problems with them...

and oh the irony, my all pictures has been taken via phone : D

well got to give a try for that program u are telling about.
    and still, sorry for the rudeness, had a bad day and i am a finn, we speak pretty much out loud :D ( the holy reason for all the many bar and hotdog stand fights :'D )

10. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Using 4000x3000 pics is not cool, takes forever to load on my phone!

Edit: lol already was discussed..note to self: read replies before rambling own reply...

Nevermind, cary on!

11. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

You are probably using Windows PC-you can do that in Paint. Not all of us have 10 Mbit net.

12. Sissilisko

okay okay, im change the resolution.. and besides i have 40/10 Mbit internet connection..
    it will take some time that i change the pictures i allready have in smaller resolution.

13. Sissilisko

CONTINUUM!! HUSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

so i sanded all the corners from the main box and test fitted the top piece and it was too big D:
    [​IMG]

sooo i had to go back to stationary belt sander
    [​IMG]

Now when the top fits perfectly it's time to make markings for ventilation so i get to drilling.
    [​IMG]

but but there is no platform for the drill so i had to make one... aaand there it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drilling going on..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then time to use some sanding paper and file
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and it's looking really good.. at least i think it looks good :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made also little feet for the pc what im gluing on, there will be also soft pads under the feet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also at the same moment i am using putty to fill some holes i made for screw's but they almost broke the whole thing apart... crack's.. dem crack's. and there also the wood glue i'm using
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aaaand that was for today.. i will see what i get done tomorrow.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2012
  14. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Thanks a lot! Much easier now to see what's going on. :)

Really looking good. I bet you mom is going to love this! :thumb:

15. Sissilisko

no problem, i didn't make it in 800x600 as somebody's told me to cuz i want people to have the option to take a better look in even a bit bigger picture.

aaand i'm hoping the same thing my self, my mom is really good at crafting wood so there will be some "you could have done this like that" stuff but i think she will appreciate it anyways cause she loves when people give her something unique and self made more then anything expensive... she doesn't care money as long she doesn't have problems with money : )

sowwy for the long text... i'm drunk... :D FRIDAY BITCHES! sorry for the bitches, i'm sober..

16. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

You could make small thumbnails that link to the bigger pictures when you click on them. It's a bit more work, but makes for a good log :)

17. Sissilisko

well it would but i don't have a slightest idea how to do it :D

18. Sissilisko

Hello again, this is a small post because there will be a lot of waiting and i'm waiting some part's already :)

there should be coming some Phobya motherboard installation screws, Ituner PICOPSU 160W (only the inside part, i will get the transducer later.. and Lamptron Vandal power button..
    oh yeah and waiting the motherboard from other place.

but here's some pictures

I got the feet glued up and sanded so the case wont "waggle" around :D
    [​IMG]

oh and had an accident with the 2.5" mount while i tried to make it smaller and it aint so pretty anymore :'D but it will work and nobody sees it : )
    [​IMG]

oh and i started painting it, the surface aint best cause the paint doesn't like paint and there wasn't any primer for the paint... : / but a little sanding and some more paint should do it.

i will first paint it fully white and the i reconsider using other colors as well in base BUT there will be some nice paintings with acrylic paint by my sister who is really good at painting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh yeah and the holes are dick to paint : D took me an hour to paint all the holes....

19. Sissilisko

AND WE HAVE MOTHERBOARD

so i received the asrock A75M-itx mother board

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

quite nice motherboard.
    now we got to test if it works but before i have to disassemble the old HTPC that i own for the cpu and the cooler, i tried to do it without landing anything anywhere cause i dont have the box for the cpu : D and i didn't replace the thermal paste cause the cooler will not be the final cooler.

So, here's the old system and i will take the cooler off..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the cooler has been removed and cpu changed to the asrock motherboard

[​IMG]

then we remove the original amd cpu cooler stand offs for the bigger cooler (i don't have stock cooler anymore) and then we remove the old Asus motherboard from the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and there's my bunny also :3

now to connect these two with each others.
    [​IMG]

and now when iv have installed ram and power supply on it it's time to test it out..

aaand of course the HDMI just wont work without operating system..
    [​IMG]

so off to my girlfriends computer because i use DVI and i dont have adapter, and the motherboard takes only HDMI and VGA.
    And Voila! it works,
    [​IMG]

and then a test fitting to the case : D and damnn it's a close call, i have the red antistatic plastic under the motherboard..
    [​IMG]

it's really nice to make small computers, so here's a size comparison to my hand and my antec 380W power supply, and it aint much bigger then my SilverStone Strider Gold Rvolution 1200W
    power supply.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now after these photos we can focus to the feet cause there aint much anything else to do while waiting the motherboard stand-offs, power button, 100mm fan and the power.

so i have this "stuff" i really don't know what this is but there is glue surface and soft surface on another, and made for this kind of use..
    [​IMG]

so first we draw and cut one piece off.
    i juse one of the pads to measure the next three ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then remove the "protector" from the bottom and glue em up! :D
    [​IMG]

and we got a little more of spacing between the case and "floor" witch is good thing cause there will be the fan on the bottom of the case
    [​IMG]

and this is it for the next time when the package from jimm's arrives. i hope it's soon, it's been over 2 weeks now o_O but they are waiting the fan from the importer so cant blame jimm's for it.

PS: i got a job!! so i there will not be pictures of workshop, they will be at my home and my sister's place cause she and her boyfriend will help a bit.

see ya soon! i hope.

20. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

nice progress...

and good to see another festool addict...

Tags: