1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Blade Desk V2 - Finished

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bladesingerz, 3 Nov 2012.

1. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Hey everyone!

I've been sitting at my Blade Desk and was thinking about what I could do to improve it. As time went on, the thoughts of making a new version started to translate itself into a design.

The time has come for a new Blade Desk, a Version 2, learning from the rookie mistakes I made with my first build, and also improving the overall design of the desk itself.

[​IMG]

Table of contents
    Design
    Parts
    Assembly
    Sanding and drilling
    The Move
    Shinies
    Try out
    Lighting
    Closing the top
    Shinies Part2
    Tubes
    Hard Tubing
    New GPU
    HD picture gallary
    HD Shoot Part 1
    Hard Tubing

Final pictures

Design

The main lines of the V1 desk will stay the same, fully made from 18mm MDF and a hidden compartment in the back and everything plugged toughter with carpenter glue and cookies. Some sections will be screwed together.

I started work on the desk about a month ago and redesigned it several times, untill I got to this design.

Part list

Hardware
    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V
    CPU: AMD FX-8350
    GPU: Sapphire R9 290
    RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz (Ripjaws)

Cooling
    CPU: EK-Supreme LTX AMD - Copper Acetal
    GPU:EK-FC R9-290X DCII - Nickel (Original CSQ)
    Radiators: 2x MagiCool SLIM TRIPLE 360 Radiator
    Pump: 2x Alphacool D5-VPP655 - Single Edition / No Top
    Pump Top: 2x EK-D5 X-TOP CSQ - Plexi
    Reservoir: 3x Phobya Balancer 450 silver nickel
    Fittings:
    1x EK-PSC Adapter 45° G1/4 Black
    14x EK-PSC Adapter 90° G1/4 Nickel
    34x Bitspower Multi-Link (SLI/CF) Adapter - Silver Shining
    Fillports: 3x Alphacool bulkhead connector - chrome
    Fans: 5x Enermax T.B. Apollish 120mm Fan - RED - 900RPM
    6x Gelid Solutions WING 12 UV

Lighting

5M NonWaterproof 3528 RGB 60led/m Flexible Strip
    24Key IR Controller

Last edited: 9 Oct 2014
  2. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Assembly
    Assembly time! I've been working with my dad and uncle on this for the past days and this is the result.

I first started disassembly on my old case, I wanted to use the motherboard panel and backplate, and take a look at the HDD bays, I still have no idea how I'll mount these since they are to tall for the desk to use.
    [​IMG]

Once it was out I put it on a sheet of MDF and started to measure, the idea is to make a false floor. I should thank the Red Cross desk for giving me this idea!
    [​IMG]
    I carefully cut the MDF with a jigsaw, I wanted to cut it as straight as possible so I used some guiders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also tried something out for an USB header in the front, since I wanted to test it first I took some spare MDF and drilled some holes and then started filling everything down. This is what I got as a result, a nice USB header!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that finished I moved everything to the workshop of my uncle. Like I said before everything is put together with cookies, the principle is that you first make a cut in the side of the wood and then insert the cookies with the glue.
    It takes a while to dry so it took 3days to put it all together.

[​IMG]
    First fit! Looks good, for now, but we made a critall error! More on that later.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the cookies before we pressed the plates against each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The next day my uncle screwed on the back, the legs and the support beam, I wasn't there but when he called I was truely excited!
    [​IMG]

The 3th day we started work on the front and mid plate of the desk, they needed a cut out for my legs. So my uncle started to mill down the mdf, I was amased how quickly this went, after 5 minutes it was done!
    [​IMG]
    What do you know... it almost fits!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the front on I started to measure the possitions for the buttons and USB. The RGB controller will also - most likely - be housed here.
    [​IMG]

So far so good, but then we noticed something... Remember that error that I spoke about? Well the hole I made for the false flour was faced the wrong way... Damn! It was just an oversight since the hole thing was already dry we couldn't put it back together so my uncle suggested we just slided some wood in and finish it later. You won't see a thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With all this finished I made some holes for the fan, pump, switch and led cables. Then it was all finished and we started to move it to my house, it only just fitted in the car and after the rain stopped we carefully moved trough the house to the living room, the final destination will be my room, but we have to move it trough my window to get it there! Yes, its that huge.
    My dad couldn't help himself and he took a chair to test it out, I was amased.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was just one thing left, screw the middle plate into place and put the top lid on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top lid won't move this time because of the small corners we made.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done! Next time I'll finish up the front with the usb holes and glue it against the desk. Also the ventilation holes will be drilled.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading and see you next update!
    ~Bladesingerz

Last edited: 23 Nov 2012
  3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Welcome to the forums. May the blessings of Relix be bestowed upon your illustrious project, and may much cheesecake find its way to you. New members are advised to read the Project Log Rules:
    Hence moved to Modding for now.

4. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

You can move it right back good sir :)

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Done. :thumb:

6. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Looking good! :D!

7. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thank you good sir! :thumb:

Thanks allot! It already looks amazing and its not even painted or filled with goodies! :)

Sanding and drilling

I started out this week by going to the store and I bought these great looking SilverStone 120mm Fangrills and a USB 3m Extension cable. I then started work on the USB front hole.
    A easy to reach usb connection was something I didn't have in my last desk so this was something that was on the improvement list.
    [​IMG]

First I drilled some holes in the corners of the squere and then started cutting through the MDF with a cutter, MDF really has its up and down sides!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also made a hole for all the cables in the back.
    [​IMG]

With that finished I started filling the gabs between the MDF plates with some filler, just apply it and 1 houre later its ready to sand!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then had to wait for a rainless day to start sanding the desk, since sanding things make for poor photography, lets jump straight to the glueing of the front plate. Like everything else of the desk this is held together by cookies and glue. We had to get creative to tighten the plate to the desk tough, since we didn't have enough spanners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for today! I'm planning on moving the desk to my room trough the window this friday, prepare for some intresting moving techniques ;)

~Bladesingerz

8. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Looking amazing my friend, Im watching this and looking forward to seeing it progress!

9. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

this looks really great! Nice use of a ratchet strap and some blocks to help hold for the glue-up

10. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thanks allot Wejjy! I can only hope my desk comes half as close to yours ;)

Thanks allot! Yeah we had no idea if it would work though, but it looks like it did the strick!

The Move

Always enjoy comments given so thanks again everyone! Time for a small update, I've been away the entire weekend but had just a little time friday with my friends to move the desk upstairs!
    The idea was to use 2 ropes and stand on the roof with 2 others pushing the desk up and away from the wall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here he is, just finished painting the primer on this sunday when I got back from my trip.
    [​IMG]

Funny to see how the 2 Blade Desks compare in size :jawdrop: !
    [​IMG]

Thats it for today, a massive thanks to my friends for helping me out with the move!
    ~Bladesingerz

Waynio likes this.
  11. dreps

dreps Minimodder

love the desk! really great job! subbed!

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Crazy task of getting it in your room. :D:rock::clap:

Looking very good dude. :dremel::D

13. timerhan

timerhan What's a Dremel?

Bladesingerz,
    I have my table also could not drag)))) I had to be assembled on site.
    Looks cool))) What will paint? What color?

14. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thanks a lot dreps! Great to see people subbing!

Thanks Waynio!
    Yeah it was a massive move! It went rather well and quick to be honest, I was kind of scared of it breaking in half though.

Yeah that was my original plan also but since we had to build it in a shed where all the tools are this couldn't be done, turned out ok though :)

I've just finished painting it, it will have the same colour as my the old Blade Desk, Matt Black. I really hate painting though so I'm glad that part is done!

I have an update coming tomorrow with the painted desk and the package I got from Highflow! Allot of shinies comming this way!

~Bladesingerz

15. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Haha, Moving the desk like a boss!

I like it realy!

I would paint it dark gray, Gunmetalisch :)

16. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Thats a hella lot of MDF......

That is all,please continue.

17. timerhan

timerhan What's a Dremel?

IKEA:D
    MDF - Medium Density Fibreboard...

18. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thanks! Yeah Gunmetal gray would be an awesome colour for it to, but I really like the Black and dark red combination my matt black gives :D

I used 2 full sheets of MDF (244mm x 122mm) to get my parts, when I loaded these into my car I was shocked about the amount of MDF :thumb:

And continue I shall!

I don't think I'll ever buy a IKEA desk again :hip:

~Bladesingerz

19. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Time for an update!

2.0 Shinies

I really like getting packages, always fun to unpack things :thumb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for some close ups!

Alphacool D5-VPP655 - Single Edition / No Top
    I really had to upgrade my pump at some point, my 300l/h pump was just not cutting it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EK-D5 X-TOP CSQ - Plexi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alphacool bulkhead connector / Fillport G1/4 - chrome
    Most people use the Fillports from Bitspower but they are way to short to go trough 18mm MDF, these fittings are almost long enough to go straight trough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13MM (1/2 ID - 3/4 OD) Monsoon Schroeffitting - Matte Black Six Pack
    Loved the fittings when I first saw them on other mods, the tool you get with the pack works great, but you really have to aim to get a good grip on the fittings, I already slipped once with them and left a nasty scar on the fitting. Not to bad though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MagiCool SLIM TRIPLE 360 Radiator
    The nice people at Highflow contacted me 2 weeks after my order and told me that Alphacool stoped production on my NeXxXos 240 radiators so after some talking with my dad I got convinced to upgrade to 2 360 radiators, I must say, I'm not dissapointed!
    I already found a huge flaw in there proces though, but more on that in a future update.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BitFenix PSU 24-Pin Red/Black 30cm
    Already have all my Motherboard cables from BitFenix so this was the last one I needed for the hole set, absolutely love the finish on these, only bad thing about this 24pin cable is its lenght, 30cm is a bit short for a desk.
    [​IMG]

Mayhems Dye Candy Red 10ml
    First time working with Mayhem dye, I hope I get a nice colour out of it, I was thinking of buying some blue to mix with the red to get a blood red dye? Just a thought for now though.
    [​IMG]

Phobya Balancer 450 silver nickel
    This is one of my favorites, 450mm long, finished with silver nickel and half as cheap than any other reservoir of this lenght! Just wait untill you see it inside the black desk :rock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last but not least! The Highflow chupa chup! omnomnom!
    [​IMG]

I hope you enjoyed this shiny update today!
    ~Bladesingerz

20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Try out

Time to get these goodies inside this beautifull desk, let me first show you how things turned out with the paint! I really hate painting, I really do, its slow, you have to wait ages for it to dry and have to get this so called skill (acording to my dad) "this is enough paint on this brush". :wallbash: All in all, it turned out ok!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all this I started work on mounting the radiators, fans and fan covers. I got some nice SilverStone dust filters wich really look amazing! I previously used standard fan grills and I must say the extra penies I spend on these are totally worth it.

[​IMG]

Like i previeusly mentiond the MagiCool radiators had a design flaw, nothing structural but something cosmetic. The Radiator is painted completely black, except in one direction. When you look in one specific direction its copper brownish! I first thought this was just a single faulty one, but after looking at the second one it turned out they both had it. To bad really since these look like great radiators for an amazing price!

I must admit that the pictures greatly dramatice the brownish, you can see it but in the picture it really looks dramatic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This picture comes quite close to the real deal, maybe MagiCool thought everyone was going to mount there fans on there so we wouldn't notice?

[​IMG]

I then started work on the front I/O, a USB 2.0 port, start and reset button are all placed there, love how it turned out this time.
    [​IMG]

At the back together with the fans mounted on the radiator :thumb:
    [​IMG]

I connected them together to the motherboard wires in the back, you never know if I ever need to disconnect them.
    [​IMG]

Finally I'm ready to start playing with the tubing and hooking up all those shinies!
    I immediately started with some bad news, the tubing I bought (cheaply) at a plastic store was the correct ID but had a very small OD, so the screw fittings wouldn't tighten at all! :wallbash:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I changed everything over to my old Feser UV Red tubing for now, I just had enough for everything. But it pissed me off that it didn't fit or bend that well..
    I already found some other clear tubing from a local store wich I'll try out when some new parts arrive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to turn on the pump, I was really curious how loud or silent the pump would be I was really surprised, I used a small cushion to make it even less noisy, I can't hear a thing now!

Now to connect everything, when I looked at the Red Cross Desk assembly I noticed the false bottom to connect all the wiring, GENIUS! I implemented this into my design from the start and used my case side as the bottom plate. I drilled some holes into the sides so I can screw it to the bottom of the desk. So easy to connect everything now, in the V1 Desk it took houres to connect everything..

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time for a first boot and enjoy the rest of the evening at the desk :cooldude:
    [​IMG]

Finally a question for you guys! Do you think I should get 2 more Tube reservoirs? The single tube looks so lonely!

[​IMG]

~Bladesingerz