bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 5th Nov 2012, 02:06   #1
enterobsidian
Hopless World Wonderer

enterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysis
Giving up your first car

There is a distinct possibility that I'll be finally giving up my first car, my LR Discovery. Quite frankly, I'm almost devastated. She's been in the family since she was 9 months old, and now she's pushing 16 years. For the last 5 years she's stood beside me through thick and thin, and always brought me home. 156k miles are taking their toll, and it looks like this might be the end.

How hard was giving up your first car?

Searching Distant Seas
enterobsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 02:19   #2
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
im in the same boat however I've only had her for 4 years, 113k on the clock and whilst her engine is strong the rest of the body is showing signs.

I think next year might be her last but god damn its going to be hard
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 07:27   #3
TheBlackSwordsMan
Moto: Never Justify A Fake Mustache

TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.
I heard you bro, I know the feeling. I sent my Pontiac to the scrap yard at 220k, she was with me for nearly 6 years. :-(
Old 5th Nov 2012, 08:05   #4
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
There's no maintenance that can't be tackled with judicial applications of spannerwork at home.

Didn't have much choice with my first car - my Dad wrote it off in the first really snowy winter we had a few years ago. Gutted is the word!
Old 5th Nov 2012, 09:17   #5
mrlongbeard
Hypermodder

mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.mrlongbeard is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enterobsidian View Post

How hard was giving up your first car?
Very well giving it up wasn't so hard, but the telegraph pole I drove it through was bloody hard and made the decision for me
mrlongbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 10:56   #6
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I still miss my old Sierra, rear wheel drive sillyness...
Old 5th Nov 2012, 11:00   #7
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
Very well giving it up wasn't so hard, but the telegraph pole I drove it through was bloody hard and made the decision for me
Yes - for me the decision was effectively made by someone else as well. My lovely Volvo 480 was 22 years old, had been clocked at least once (probably by the guy who sold it to me) and had only been in my care for 6 months but I loved her dearly. However, she failed her MOT quite spectacularly and then some scroat tried to break in by forcing the door open, so she was undrivable.

I cried the scrappers came along and hoisted her away. Sad day indeed.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 11:09   #8
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My first car (a Rover Metro) served me well until a week after I passed my test, whereupon I found myself having to climb out of the driver's window vertically and tip it back onto all four wheels after an unexpected meeting with a hedgerow at 50mph.

I managed to drive it to a garage on the way to school the following day, only to be told that they couldn't believe I had just driven it 20 miles with the gearbox hanging off the bottom of the car!

I didn't miss it, like any young red blooded male I replaced it with a brand new black Saxo VTS in one of a string of ill-informed spending sprees - the fallout of which still haunt me in my 30th year
Old 5th Nov 2012, 11:29   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
I learnt driving in my family's Volvo 340, lovely car and had 150k on the clock. but due to lack of care, my Dad completely forgot to maintain it over the next 20k.

Finally, the car wouldn't start for a week. At the weekend, we saw a cheap Ford, we thought to give the Volvo a last try, it started and took us to buy the replacement car before finally dying around the corner from where we lived.

Found leaves in the choke valves, so it's definitely been killed by lack of maintenance. unfortunately it wasn't economical to disassemble the engine and repair it, so it was sold to the scrap yard. was emotional to see it get man handled by the scrap yard truck.

I'm currently driving the first car I that I own. a lovely Volvo S40. every year I service it, every year I make sure to replace the air filter. it's just gone over 100k, I'm hoping with care it can beat the family Volvo and reach 200k, and use it for 10 more years.

Volvo's are certainly something special in my mind. same with most people's first car I'd imagine.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 11:38   #10
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I thought I would struggle with my mini, but after seeing the extent of some of the bodgework (double panneled floors and sills...) I really was quite happy to see it go.

It helped that I stripped it down to recoup some money, that it didn't look like the car it once was....and that I'd taken the engine to be rebuilt as something more exciting for the new car I had just purchased and still own.

As for my current car, for all the things that go wrong with it, the amount of times I've found the battery flat and it won't start, I really struggle to think how I could ever part with it....
Old 5th Nov 2012, 11:44   #11
bagman
I Mod, Therefore I Own

bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I recently gave up my first car being a Audi A6 99' 2.5 TDI. Again been in the family for a very long time and had racked up 200K miles, it never skipped a beat. Now I am in a 2010 ford fiesta which is a lot more fun .

Last edited by bagman; 5th Nov 2012 at 11:56.
bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:09   #12
legoman
breaker of things

legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Still got my first car, 7 years old 97K and still going. I do debate getting a new car bigger engine etc but never see the point :s
AMD Phenom X6 1605T @ 4.5Ghz |Corsair H80 |Gigbyte970A-UD3 | 2X4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast | ASUS AMD 6950 2GB DirectCU II & Arctic Accelero Hybrid | Corsair HX750 | Liteon Blue Ray Drive | Samsung HD103SJ 1Tb | Crucial M4 SSD 64GB |Crucial M500 120GB| TP-Link 450MPs WiFi adaptor | Coolermaster Storm Trooper | Win 7 Pro 64it | Roccat ARVO | Logitech G500 | Bamboo 1 | Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW
legoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:49   #13
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
Wasn't particularly hard for me. Switching from a 1.4 diesel Pug 206 to a 3 litre BMW 6 series couldn't have been easier. :P

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:50   #14
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmartin View Post
Wasn't particularly hard for me. Switching from a 1.4 diesel Pug 206 to a 3 litre BMW 6 series couldn't have been easier. :P
Except on the fuel bills Unless you're rocking the diesel of course!

The sooner the rest of the world catches up with BMW on performance to economy on their diesel engines the better. 50mpg in a big car that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds is epic.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:55   #15
goldstar0011
I *am* a Dremel

goldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My first car was a K reg Nissan Micra, sold it to a mate who later turned up in with interior stripped and running a 1.6 Alerma engine in it, I was so proud lol
goldstar0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 15:34   #16
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My first car was a Volvo 440, which has major steel cancer up under the rear end. So I parked it on my parents drive and ran like hell. Still there to this day.

I can't get rid of it, but it's too broken to drive...

It'll go one day to make room for my current Saab... lol!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 18:29   #17
bagman
I Mod, Therefore I Own

bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Except on the fuel bills Unless you're rocking the diesel of course!

The sooner the rest of the world catches up with BMW on performance to economy on their diesel engines the better. 50mpg in a big car that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds is epic.
Their 2 liter diesel does 70MPG and 0-60 in 8 secs. Which again is very impressive. My mums Audi A6 2 liter TDI 07' can only dream about doing those figures.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 18:42   #18
bodkin
Overheating

bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Moving from a Rover 216 with the dreaded "K series" engine should have been easy, but for some reason it was pretty hard. No matter how badly it went wrong it still limped on. Only car I have seen survive a cam belt snap without needing any engine work.
bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 18:45   #19
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I went from a 1.6 focus to a 2.0 st170 >.>

It wasn't hard for me then, but depends how long the st stays with me I guess.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 19:22   #20
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
My first car was a Volvo 440, which has major steel cancer up under the rear end. So I parked it on my parents drive and ran like hell. Still there to this day.

I can't get rid of it, but it's too broken to drive...

It'll go one day to make room for my current Saab... lol!
Get out phonebook -> Find local scrappy's number -> Profit.

Tags
cars, first cars

View Mode