bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:04   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel details NUC specs ahead of launch

Dual-core 1.8GHz Core-i3 in a 100mm-square box.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...12/intel-nuc/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:12   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
35$ vs 300$ I don't see how this is going to fend off the Raspi, especially seeing you can build a similar MicroATX PC for probably half the price.

It definitely doesn't have the same impulse-buy effect as the Raspi did on me, seeing that I bought two Raspis.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:21   #3
derviansoul
Minimodder

derviansoul has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
35$ vs 300$ I don't see how this is going to fend off the Raspi, especially seeing you can build a similar MicroATX PC for probably half the price.

It definitely doesn't have the same impulse-buy effect as the Raspi did on me, seeing that I bought two Raspis.
You are definitely right. However i can see this to be a decent htpc or for a microserver , just hope the uk price matches the expectations.
derviansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 12:39   #4
Pookie
What's My Age Again?

Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.Pookie is definitely a rep cheat.
As has already been said really, you can put together an equal if not better system using matx for half the money. And have upgrade options, you also dont have to bin the whole setup if something fails.
Fractal R4/ GA-X58A-UD3R / i7 920@3.8Ghz / Corsair H60 (2013 Model) with 2 x Corsair SP120 / Corsair Force GT 120 SSD /Sapphire R9 290X / 12GB (3x4GB)Corsair Dominator 1600mhz with Airflow Kit / AOC i2757fm 27" IPS Monitor/ Razer Lachesis.
Rotel RA-02 Amplifier/ B&W DM601 S3/ QED XT350 With Airlock plugs/All QED Interconnects.

http://www.compucare.co.uk/
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 13:48   #5
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
Yes, but it still makes it a bit of a kick in the teeth for VIA... RasPi killer - no way, it's priced to high. Nano x2 killer, it's still a bit expensive - but a) a lot of people are going to buy it just because it's a better known brand and b) it's even smaller than MTX 100cm2 vs 289cm2...
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 19:41   #6
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
and it will run windows
Old 12th Nov 2012, 20:02   #7
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield has yet to learn the way of the DremelAnfield has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
I'd think of it more as a far cheaper mac mini alternative than a Raspi competitor.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 06:58   #8
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
$300 and no RAM or storage? Nah, I'll pass. Granted, we're talking two different markets, but odds are good I'd be looking at this for the same purpose as AMD E350 boards....which can be had for less than $100.

Like asura says, this could crush some of Via's offerings on performance without being out of line on price.

And, unless I missed something, HD4000 is your only option? Not going to fly for HTPC types, I'd guess. Let's see it once Haswell/Broadwell comes along and it may be worth the money. It might do well in the modding community and boutique builders, but it's not worth my money yet.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 22:38   #9
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield has yet to learn the way of the DremelAnfield has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The $300 for the cpu + board + case isn't that bad if you consider MSRP for the Cpu alone is $225... http://ark.intel.com/products/65697/...Cache-1_80-GHz
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 23:08   #10
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
So basically they are selling CPUs with a good boost on profit!
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm, core-i3, intel, microcomputer, next unit of computing, nuc, qualcomm, raspberry pi