bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:18   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
DirectX 11.1 not coming to Windows 7

New features a Windows 8 exclusive, Moth admits.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...osoft-dx11-1/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:24   #2
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
DX11.1 is a relatively minor jump from 11. Considering that win7 makes up such a huge portion of the OS market, share producing a game that's DX11.1 exclusive any time in the next three years wouldn't be financially viable, in the same way that DX11 exclusive titles are, only now, becoming wide spread 3.5 years after the release of Windows 7 and almost six years after windows vista (which also supports DX11). Even then, most titles still boast a DX9 compatibility mode, or , in the case of Witcher 2, just use DX9 to incredibly effect.

As consoles are the real drivers of game development, the only way DX11.1 would see any major adoption sooner is if next-gen XBox and Playstation adopted it as their API. Which they wont because it's too new to have influenced the hardware decisions that will have already been made.

Basically, DX11.1 is the new DX10.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:25   #3
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Won't make anyone move to 8. what's the point in all the improved features if you have to battle the confused UI to get to any of them?
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:27   #4
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If i was MS and I kept developing DX as part of the lure to windows etc, then yes i'd use it to leverage people towards an upgrade.
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:30   #5
feedayeen
Multimodder

feedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So Microsoft, you didn't learn your lesson with DX10? Tying DirectX to an unpopular OS does not help make it popular, but it does provide justification for developers to avoid developing the 'latest and greatest'.
feedayeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:38   #6
Panos
Multimodder

Panos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run Crysis
Given that the next gen of consoles isn't out yet, no point to do anything.

And how many good DX11 exclusive games came out since it's introduction? How many DX10 exclusive? (Crysis 1??).

Since then still we still get DX9 games that look awesome, and with mods even better. Skyrim with HD Mods on is a good example of DX9 tech!!!!!!!
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:40   #7
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Makes no odds - unless next gen consoles are DX11.1 compatable people are a good few years away from caring.... 11.1, means dx11 with 0.1 more feature than before.

That as an aside - DX12 will be where it's all at, which will probably come with windows9, which is something win7 users might consider worth upgrading too.

Windows8 is necessary only to microsoft to help bridge the gap between current desktop MS products, tablets and smartphones, it's not necessary for yhr public to do anymore than watch how the concept develops to an all encompassing "eco-system" that people and enterprises will want - like DX11.1 istelf, win8 will be a short lived OS (not as short as winME though lol).
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 11:44   #8
Pookie
Shirty is an absolute legend

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's decisions like these that make you feel like a valued Windows user. I think they know that Windows 8 is not going down well just as was the case with Vista. Want to see the game as the developer intended? then you have to upgrade! The word ransom springs to mind!
Fractal R4/ GA-X58A-UD3R / Corsair RM850/ Westmere Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz Hex core / Corsair H60 (2013 Model) with 2 x Corsair SP120 / Corsair Force GT 120 SSD /Sapphire R9 290X / 12GB (3x4GB)Corsair Dominator 1600mhz with Airflow Kit / AOC i2757fm 27" IPS Monitor/ Razer Lachesis.
Rotel RA-02 Amplifier/ B&W DM601 S3/ QED XT350 With Airlock plugs/All QED Interconnects.

http://www.compucare.co.uk/
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 12:03   #9
blacko
Multimodder

blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.
i moved to windows 8 last week. Im really enjoying. I thought i would hate it but im now used to the metro UI it feels natural.

Pros
Boot Time, its shiney and pretty and its cheap.

cons
legacy software cant load from the metro UI directly, it reverts back to the desktop before launching an App. Eg in wow if you click the icon on the Metro UI, it'll switch back to desktop then load the launcher...hopefully as the OS matures and legacy games are updated the metro UI will be the sole place you have to use....

It sounds like ive been brainwashed by microsoft but im running this on an rMBP.......
blacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 12:04   #10
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Direct x 10 11 11.1 have not been accepted with great amount by the developer community due to none backwords compatability with windows xp ( Still the dominant OS up to febuary this year, Still has near 40% of the desktop OS market with windows 7 Aproaching 45% mac os has 8% )

Off the top of my head i can name only a few direct x 10 exclusive titles, ( Halo 2, BF3 ) there about the only 2 games that dont have a direct x 9 exe, direct x 11 uptake is even smaller.

As a developer you would be mad to remove 40-45% of your sales potential by simply locking it to direct x 10 and above exlusive.

The next gen of consoles are unlikely to help with direct x implementation as all consoles are coded to hardware. Microsoft has gone too far ahead of the game this time with its direct x 11.1 exlusive if direct x 11 was widespread and 11.1 actually offered something then there might be a reason for it. As it is direct x 9 is widespread and will stay that way till microsofts windows xp is no longer supported by the developer community. ( Most likely sometime around 2015)
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 12:18   #11
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Good thing I am very happily using Windows 8 with no problems so far. Apart from my desktop having a DX10 card. Time to upgrade.
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 13:19   #12
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
By the time games require DirectX 11.1 as a minimum we will be having a thread on how "evil" Microsoft is for making DirectX 13 a Windows 10 exclusive....
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 13:23   #13
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
I still won't "up"grade from Windows 7.

Keep pushing people to a direction they don't like going and you're only going to make alternatives like Linux and OSX look less bad.

HTPC: i3-3225 | H77-Pro4-M | 4Gb Ripjaws | GTX 660 |120 Gb Samsung 840 | Corsair CX400W | Silverstone GD-04
SlowMotionSuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 13:52   #14
kingred
Surfacing sucks!

kingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I may seem like a traitor but this is getting silly now. As soon as all of my work software gets released on mac os (Solidworks, office, and 3dsmax) then I may bugger off.
kingred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 14:00   #15
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
DX11.1 is a relatively minor jump from 11.
Yeah, and 11 was a minor jump from 10 which was a minor jump from 9

It probably does more under the surface but I can play games in DX11 and they don't look anything special to me, even some DX9 games look lovely. I get the impression that nobody makes the most out of each one, it seemed like DX11 came along before more than a dozen or so games were even making use of 10, and even that was only for a few fps here and there and a few prettier smoke plumes.

Basically, I give one big meh to dx in general. My eye candy in gaming has more to do with good devs and artists than it does MS's underlying hyped tech.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 19:37   #16
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
you mean the hyped tech that makes sure, that no matter what hardware you have, the nice development and art just works
Old 12th Nov 2012, 19:54   #17
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Zero plans to downgrade to Windows 8.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 20:57   #18
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
In my view, since the game market demands more and more cross-platform [between consoles, tablets, phones, Smart TVs, macs, PCs (Windows and Linux)], it's better to invest on OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL, etc.
Hopefully more and more game developers will realize this and start using them to build the games, instead of starting with DirectX and then port to OpenGL if they have enough share/funding.

If this happens DirectX will face its doom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingred
I may seem like a traitor but this is getting silly now. As soon as all of my work software gets released on mac os (Solidworks, office, and 3dsmax) then I may bugger off.
Releasing that software on Ubuntu/Linux would be better because you could still choose the best hardware configuration for your needs (and it would be a lot cheaper and efficient).

Last edited by Icy EyeG; 12th Nov 2012 at 21:54. Reason: Strange text mistake
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 21:09   #19
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't think there's anything much in DX11.1 that will make a difference in gaming anyway.
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Logitech G19 - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 22:32   #20
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
...Nope. Still don't want it.

Tags
amp, daniel moth, directx, directx 11, directx 11.1, dx11, dx11.1, warp, windows 7, windows 8