bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 13th Nov 2012, 04:08   #1
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.
Headphone/Headset Suggestions

Hi guys, ok so my current headset needs to be sent back, Mic has stopped working two months into use. I am going to send it back and spend a little bit more money.

I have a SpeedLink Medusa 5.1, so 5.1 audio is proffered as I have gotten used to it. I want to spend around 150. I have looked at several suggestions and whilst I do like the look of the Razer Carcharias I do want 5.1 audio.

So suggestions please guys. Too much to choose from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
At least you'll have moisturised gums!
MrDomRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 08:19   #2
dancingbear84
error 404

dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm not an audiophile but I got a Logitech g35. It is virtual 7.1 surround as opposed to actual surround but I'm very happy with it. It is USB and currently available for around 80 pounds from tesco. There are some reviews that state it is uncomfortable, I have a big head and I can find a comfortable way to wear it by changing the padded head support and adjusting the ear cups lower. In terms of weight you know that you are wearing it, but it is not uncomfortable. Being Logitech you know that there is the support in case anything breaks and the build quality is good and the drivers will work. When used for bf3 and other games I find them great. For music they are a bit worse but by no means bad.
To be fair though this is the first decent headset I've owned, in the past I've always bought chepo sub 10 things or used headphones that came bundled with phones or other devices.
Old 13th Nov 2012, 08:58   #3
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Dom, you play BF3, the simulated 5.1 in that is pretty much just as good an effect as you'll get from a supposedly 5.1 headset.

I owned the G35s - the sound quality is excellent - definitely better than the carcharias. But: in my opinion, the 5.1 effect isn't really up to much (same with any 5.1 headset).

Dancingbear - do you have any problems with sound balance when Dolby headphone isn't on? Like its a lot louder in one ear than the other? That happened with both pairs that I owned.

When I first got the G35s they were very tight and painful, but after a while of wearing them they eased up, and were fine.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 11:11   #4
hamza_tm
I Mod, Therefore I Own

hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you have 150 and want the ultimate surround experience you can get, just buy the Sennheiser HD598 headphones (and cheap mic).

I know you said you prefer actual 5.1, but trust me these things will blow you away in the surround sound department. Audiophile grade cans that will also take your music and movies to an entirely new level, with such a realistic soundstage it'll shock you. Buy them and listen to that virtual Barber shop video on YouTube...

When I got mine I was blooown away, and I've tried Beyerdynamics DT770, DT880, Sennheiser PC360 and more.

Edit: a 20 Creative X Fi xtremegamer completes the package if you want a virtual surround system too.

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid MX Brown (White Filco caps) | Zowie AM | Sennheiser PC360 | Razer Sphex
hamza_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 11:22   #5
majnu
What's a Dremel?

majnu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you want one with a built in mic then the Sennheiser PC360 or even the u320 are good.

If you want a studio headset and can live with a dangly clip on mic then the bredemeyer dt 770 pro's won't disappoint.
majnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 12:56   #6
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
I got a Logitech 930 ("real") surround head set im looking to sell if your interested.

I have moved on to HiFi headphones and would like to sell them to some one who would make use of the surround features.

-I am allowed to say that here right?

PC Audio: AKG 271 mk II + Samson Go mic. + Asus Xonar D2X
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 17:34   #7
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.
Woah lots ogre suggestions. I will have to take a look at each one and see which i like the most.

I never really thought about getting a sound card. I am no audiophile so it never overly bothered me.
Quote:
Old 13th Nov 2012, 17:58   #8
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDomRocks View Post
Woah lots ogre suggestions. I will have to take a look at each one and see which i like the most.

I never really thought about getting a sound card. I am no audiophile so it never overly bothered me.
If your spending that much on a headset I would recommend a sound card. I got a £35 headset, and a sound card does make it sound better, and higher end models are meant to benefit more.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 18:15   #9
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Ok adding a sound card to my list. This is getting expensive.

Going to buy an all in one headset. And sound card.
Quote:
Old 13th Nov 2012, 19:02   #10
sniperdude
Supermodder

sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.
yeah mate even my old Audigy 4 sound card is far better than any onboard sound...the ASUS cards got raved about but I think I see more reports of issues with them more than anything these days.
Old 13th Nov 2012, 19:05   #11
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
the g930 is USB so that would save you a sound card.
930 stats

Old 13th Nov 2012, 19:16   #12
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Ok adding a sound card to my list. This is getting expensive.

Going to buy an all in one headset. And sound card.
I think it would make up the difference, e.g £120 for the headset and £30 for the sound card. Plus, if you buy a pcie one, it should last for multiple builds/headphones.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 19:22   #13
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hahaha good spot, I had realised getting a USB Headset defeats getting a sound card.

i have been offered a sound card at a bargain price. So looking into my options.

I may have to increase my budget a little. I have looked at the Sennheiser HD598 I think they will do the job and look sexy on my head. I am all about the visuals and how well they perform.

That plus a sound card and I am thinking of picking up http://www.scan.co.uk/products/blue-...ne-gloss-black as well.

So all in all over 200......

Not to mention I am sending my Speedlink Medusa's back as the Mic has died.
Quote:

Last edited by MrDomRocks; 13th Nov 2012 at 19:51.
Old 13th Nov 2012, 19:56   #14
hamza_tm
I Mod, Therefore I Own

hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You won't be disappointed with the HD598

Thing sounds amazing.

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid MX Brown (White Filco caps) | Zowie AM | Sennheiser PC360 | Razer Sphex
hamza_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 20:20   #15
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza_tm View Post
If you have 150 and want the ultimate surround experience you can get, just buy the Sennheiser HD598 headphones (and cheap mic).

I know you said you prefer actual 5.1, but trust me these things will blow you away in the surround sound department. Audiophile grade cans that will also take your music and movies to an entirely new level, with such a realistic soundstage it'll shock you. Buy them and listen to that virtual Barber shop video on YouTube...

When I got mine I was blooown away, and I've tried Beyerdynamics DT770, DT880, Sennheiser PC360 and more.

Edit: a 20 Creative X Fi xtremegamer completes the package if you want a virtual surround system too.
This. I want the 598's myself, they're on my wishlist.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2012, 09:16   #16
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza_tm View Post
You won't be disappointed with the HD598

Thing sounds amazing.
Well I am sold on them, I have always like sennheiser I have some headphones somewhere that I gave to my mom as she hated her ear buds.

I am also going to buy a Blue Snowball Mic xD
Quote:
Old 14th Nov 2012, 09:28   #17
MSHunter
Mod Master

Samson GO Mic is where quality mics start. I am very happy with mine.

Old 15th Nov 2012, 06:16   #18
sniperdude
Supermodder

sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Well I am sold on them, I have always like sennheiser I have some headphones somewhere that I gave to my mom as she hated her ear buds.

I am also going to buy a Blue Snowball Mic xD
I have the HD595's myself mate, I think they're awesome, the HD598 are said to be even better but not by as enough to be upgrade worthy but if I was buying again I would get the HD598 myself.

I would spend less on a mic and more on a sound card tho

What kind of sound card are you thinking of?
Old 15th Nov 2012, 10:29   #19
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdude View Post
I have the HD595's myself mate, I think they're awesome, the HD598 are said to be even better but not by as enough to be upgrade worthy but if I was buying again I would get the HD598 myself.

I would spend less on a mic and more on a sound card tho

What kind of sound card are you thinking of?
I have been offered creative hd titanium for a reasonable price. I the Mic is for my youtube content as well as talking to you guys on VOIP. When I have the free time around work I am going to be putting together some content for my channel.

And to do that I need a decent Mic as the desk one and my current fault Headset Mic arent very good.

I am unsure about sound card as my current music files are mostly mp3 and AAC from Itunes. I have never had FLAC files or super high quality audio needs. Obviously once I have the Headphones I will test to see if I can hear the difference in audio quality.
Quote:
Old 15th Nov 2012, 10:47   #20
jizwizard
in shirty's pouch

jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.
trust me you will hear the difference mate with that sound card and headset. night and day
jizwizard is offline   Reply With Quote