bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:12   #1
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Car insurance

Hell I'm 21 and i'll be passing my test pretty soon. I've been doing insurance checks and nothing i've came across is under 2k

First i tried the car I've had stored for a couple of years it's been my baby since like 17, Volvo S60 not even once... 6000

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF S 16V 1598cc
Third Party Fire & Theft cover, no NCB
250 voluntary excess requested

MAZDA MX-3 AUTO 1597cc

BMW 316 I (COMPACT) 1596cc

Any ideas on what would be cheaper on insurance that isn't a bag of complete crap, that'll kill you in second if your involved in a crash? or am i going to have to bite the bullet and pay 2k for the golf?
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:15   #2
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm almost 20, been driving for two years, and I got quoted 10k p.a. for an MR2.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:21   #3
Archtronics
I *am* a Dremel

Archtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
21 here, 3 years no claim fully comp insured for a grand on a 170bhp seat leon so it is possible, however I think its your lack of driving experience that's holding you back. I suggest you lower your engine size to a 1.2ish.

I drove a clio for 4 years prior and I didn't die

If you can do it try a multi car plan with another family member.
Archtronics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:21   #4
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Car insurnace is a joke without reason.

I owned a Cavalier Sri 130 when I was young, mad hot hatch and didn't get stung like youngsters today.

Excuse to print money as far as I'm concerned
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:25   #5
enterobsidian
Hopless World Wonderer

enterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysisenterobsidian can run Crysis
Anything that has performance will cost you. Both my Discovery and MG TF are expensive to insure, as they are both performance and prestige vehicles. You'll get done for any car with something indicating at sportyness.

Anything over about 1.3 or 1.4 will be really hefty to insure, so get something like a polo or a corsa. If you have to have golf like performance, buy a skoda. Brilliant little cars, handle really well and cheap to insure. Don't buy anything with sport, gti, etc in its name. In fact, don't buy anything with a turbo, that will really hurt.

If you want performance, you'll have to pay.

Hope this helps
Enterobsidian

Searching Distant Seas
enterobsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:27   #6
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Tragically insurance for younger drivers is dear because they're statistically more likely to wrap their high powered motor round a tree.

Best option is something smallish, Focus or Astra or smaller. Its not about the damage you're going to do to your car its about the damage you'll do to others so small and unsporty are the words of the day. If its any consolation my 1.8l Vectra was 1.5k from most big insurers but got it for 700 from tesco so its probably still worth looking around some more. My 406 was 300 when I renewed it in April!
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:47   #7
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Drive something really crappy till your trusted, first time drivers are a high risk, put the pussy magnet on hold.

Once you've been driving for say 3 years with no claims it will be much easier to get what you want.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:53   #8
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just love the way that fanny = crash.
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:58   #9
ripmax
Supermodder

ripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysis
I'm surprised it's so low, at 23 I'm being quoted 2k+ for a 1.4 clio, I've tried everything inclsuing a 1.2 corser and no luck getting it below 2k
ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:59   #10
vodkas666
Modder

vodkas666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm 22 and drive a 1.2L R reg corsa and don't get anything under 3k p.a. As the car is worth 250 and excess is at 500 surely the insurance companies know I won't claim? They just like money and as its a private enterprise which is compulsory they will always ask for over the odds.

On another note my friends 80yo gran gets her insurance for 80p.a. She can't use one of her legs and I she can't tell her non-identical grandchildren apart she is that blind. So I'm the one more likely to have an accident
vodkas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 00:07   #11
goldstar0011
I *am* a Dremel

goldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyangoldstar0011 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Insurers aren't concerened about you claiming but more concerned of the claim of someone else if you hit someone

example

Add your area, I get quoted 750 for my car and 10mins down the road at the in laws a quote is under 500.

Insurers are the only companies allowed to catergoise people and charge you for it

As for the old ages people costs and risk, I was knocked off my motorbike by a 74 year old who didn't see me despite high-vis and lights on the bike, thanks for not getting your eyes checked
goldstar0011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 00:30   #12
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Profession: Industrial Designer
Car: 1998 Saab 900 Turbo

Insurance: 554

Saving of 227 from last year
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 00:34   #13
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
24 years old £299/£50 excess on my kit car. £19 up from last year haha
Girlfriends mini with both of us on it £560.
My old mini was £515 tpft when 18....

You need to lower your engine size unfortunately.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 00:49   #14
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
And here's me looking at Civic Type-R's for 800 fully comp at 21 with no NCB or driving experience.

Try looking at newer cars as well, they've got better brakes and safety systems, you're less likely to crash something with ABS then something old and clapped out. Corsa-C's are pretty cheap for me. Oh, and put your mum on the insurance, that lowers it a couple of as well.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 01:07   #15
dullonien
Master of the unfinished.

dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Profession: Student
No claims bonus: One year.
Car: 52 plate BMW 320d

Insurance: 682.95 fully comp (300 excess).

I hope it'll be cheaper again this year with another year ncb, although considering insurance seems to be constantly rising, maybe not.

Where are you getting the quotes from Evolutionsic? Always worth doing a comparethemarket or similar search (using a junk e-mail address and non working telephone number, just change a digit and check that it doesn't work). I used a cheaper quote to reduce my renew price last year.
Main SilverStone FT03B | 2500K@4.0GHz | Corsair H70 | Maximus IV Gene-Z | 16GB DDR3 | Zotac GTX 470 | Corsair AX750 | 2 x HP ZR24w's | Server Antec 300 | Q6600 | Corsair H50 | EVGA 680i Sli | 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD4870 | Corsair HX520 | HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL | Renderer Lian-Li V300 | E6600 | Titan Fenrir | Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD | 4GB DDR2 | HIS X1950XT | Storage 12.5TB of Seagate HDD's |
dullonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 10:27   #16
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolutionsic View Post
Hell I'm 21 and i'll be passing my test pretty soon. I've been doing insurance checks and nothing i've came across is under 2k

Any ideas on what would be cheaper on insurance that isn't a bag of complete crap, that'll kill you in second if your involved in a crash? or am i going to have to bite the bullet and pay 2k for the golf?
Not surprised you're getting quotes like that if you're looking at 'sporty' cars with mid size petrol engines like that.

Try something a little like a diesel skoda fabia (the older 1.9 is fast but not driven by young people so comes out quite cheap) or a 1.2L super mini (clio, fiesta, corsa etc.) just not the sport model. As soon as you've got one or two years no claims prices drop considerably.

They key to cheap insurance in your first few years driving is picking a car that young people don't normally drive as the statistics for it being involved in accidents will be more favourable.

My first car was a fiat punto (as I couldn't afford anything else) then after two years with that I had an ST170 and the insurance was less per year the the funto.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 10:32   #17
alastor
I Mod, Therefore I Own

alastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysis
Profession: Civil engineer
NCB: None
Full licence held: 1 year
Car: 52 plate Seat Leon 1.4 S

Insurance: ~750 TPFT

Go on confused.com and put your mum/girlfriend/aunt/gran on as a named driver (NOT as the policy holder and yourself as a named driver - that's illegal), should save you about 25%. Chances are Admiral will come out the cheapest. I was getting quotes around 750 for a 1.6 Mk4 Golf, 825 for a 1.8 GTI and 650 for a 1.2 Corsa C.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 10:42   #18
Williz
Supermodder

Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.Williz is definitely a rep cheat.
Basically you're going to be stuck with a car that has 1 Lr / 1.2Lr for awhile.
Williz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 10:46   #19
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If it's any car with performance, you need to look at less mainstream insurers (ie. not on comparison sites). Companies like Sky Insurance, Pace Ward, Adrian Flux, etc.

For reference:

Car: Focus RS modified to 410bhp.
NCB: 13 years
Price: 422.00 pa Fully comprehensive + TPFT on any other vehicle.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 11:01   #20
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
You have two features that make you less risky though Phalanx; age and NCB.

I pay 600pa for my mod-declared 106 Rallye, 8 years NCB, 25 and in a very safe postcode.

The thing that makes insurance so expensive, apparently, is the risk of whiplash claims for every accident.

View Mode