bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 27th Nov 2012, 14:41   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Oldest Daily-Use Hardware?

Talking to someone on t'Twittorz about keyboards, I was suddenly struck by the fact that the keyboard I use to write all these words wot you are reading is 28 years old and still going strong.

That made me curious: what is the oldest piece of hardware you still use on a daily basis? I mean, actually use: I've got a ZX81 (the one you saw me building if you bought Custom PC a while back, in fact) that's older than my keyboard, but I don't use it on a daily basis and it's certainly not a part of my desktop rig (although that'd be an interesting modding project...)

In my case, it's my keyboard (1984) and my PCMCIA-PCI adapter (1990-something, I forget.) There's also my Psion Series 3A (1993) which replaced a Series 3 (1991) and which I still use for notetaking when I'm out and about, but that's not a daily-use thing.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 14:55   #2
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
EVGA GTS 8800, in my wifes PC. Drives her U2711 just fine for photo editing.
must be about 5 years old now, has an other 5 years warranty left.

PC Audio: AKG 271 mk II + Samson Go mic. + Asus Xonar D2X
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 15:06   #3
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
What keyboard is it Gareth? Surely an original Model M?
Old 27th Nov 2012, 15:17   #4
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My 2007 IBM X61 Tablet is a my daily driver for net browsing.

Tbh I've still got most my stuff since I first started back in 2003 with my own stuff.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 15:19   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
What keyboard is it Gareth? Surely an original Model M?
Close - it's the IBM Personal Computer AT keyboard, the last revision of the Model F before IBM switched to the cheaper Model M design.
Old 27th Nov 2012, 15:29   #6
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Close - it's the IBM Personal Computer AT keyboard, the last revision of the Model F before IBM switched to the cheaper Model M design.
Now that brings back memories! Thats what my father used to use in the hallway programming late into the night. (yes the floor layout was quite odd in that apartment)

Old 27th Nov 2012, 15:34   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHunter View Post
Now that brings back memories! Thats what my father used to use in the hallway programming late into the night. (yes the floor layout was quite odd in that apartment)
It's the only thing that has travelled with me since the early days. Mice, monitors and the like get replaced, but the IBM keyboard remains. Despite its lack of several rather important keys - like the six-key home pad, the cursor keys, F11, F12, Alt.Gr, Super...
Old 27th Nov 2012, 16:14   #8
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.
Well I don't use them every day, but I have Cherry keyboards from around 1985. Oldest stuff I use everyday is my sig rig most of which from 2009. Other I use regularly is first gen mitx Via Epia that is my retro gaming machine from 2005ish with IBM flat CRT from late 90's. I'm working on getting the entire system inside the CRT. Just need to address some cooling concerns.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 16:16   #9
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Mx 518 mouse probably oldest in day to day usage

AMD 250 CPU next in parents pc.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 17:42   #10
jbloggs
Hypermodder

jbloggs has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljbloggs has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljbloggs has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljbloggs has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljbloggs has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljbloggs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz from 2003, used on a music file server...
jbloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 18:14   #11
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Probably my Benq T905 19 inch monitor gets used as my second screen. It's about 7 years old and i think it set me back 180
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 18:55   #12
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
It might be my keyboard (OEM NMT RT235BT), but there's no date that I can see on it. I believe it's more than 10 years old, though. Completely void of any Windows key and the like.

Tied for an honorable 2nd place are my case, Lian-Li PC61, and my soundcard, Creative Audigy, both of which I got in July 2002.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 19:11   #13
xTatic
~

xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hmm...

Probably my TDK Bluetooth Adapter from 2002(?)

Still use it to connect wiimotes to my computer.

Last edited by xTatic; 28th Nov 2012 at 21:50.
xTatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 20:23   #14
TheBlackSwordsMan
Moto: Never Justify A Fake Mustache

TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.
For me it's my Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 4.1 from 1999. It still have guts.
Old 28th Nov 2012, 21:38   #15
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Was just wondering what the definition of "in daily use" boils down to, because I've an old PC sitting on my desk. Its main, well only, task is providing surface space for other stuff standing on top of it. Said stuff is standing on it on a daily basis, though.

Oh, and said old PC comes with such legendary hardware as a Pentium II 350 MHz (SLOT 1 no less), an ASUS P3B-F, some unknown quantity of memory (ECC of course), an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller, a TEAC CD-R56 DVD writer (SCSI) and a Matrox G400. Amazing stuff.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
Old 28th Nov 2012, 21:47   #16
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.
I have a similar P2 system in daily use as a space waster in my storage...
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2012, 21:49   #17
azrael-
I'm special...

They really do a most excellent job doing that.

Old 28th Nov 2012, 21:56   #18
MSHunter
Mod Master

no daily use means you actually tun it on and use it say at least 3 times a week.

Old 28th Nov 2012, 21:59   #19
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My LCD TV from 2007 . EDID for HDMI is broke, it consumes 240W, it is only 1366x768.

Waiting for my new appartment (finished late 2013) to get a new TV - don't want to move the 50" plasma in a very small elevator .
Old 28th Nov 2012, 22:37   #20
mattyh1995
Hypermodder

mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.mattyh1995 is definitely a rep cheat.
An old surround sound system from circa 2003 for use with my PC, still sounds amazing
| CM Storm Stryker | Corsair TX750 PSU | Creative SoundblasterZ |
| Steam - [UK] Holcroft |
mattyh1995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daily use, hardware, retro, vintage