bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 29th Nov 2012, 00:34   #1
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Best Tablet post Chrismas

Hey guys,

Want some advice on which would be the best tablet to buy during the January sales. I hate the iOS opperating system so would like something to run android.

Main uses would be streaming videos, work related stuff (email, calendar etc ) and a couple of simple games.

Any info welcome.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2012, 03:46   #2
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You have 4 choices,

1- Nexus 7 or 10 tablet device, form Google, powered by Android OS
2- ASUS Android based device, like the prime series with a dock-keyboard keyboard which extends the battery of the device
3- Microsoft Surface RT (or Pro if you want to run Windows programs you know and trust.. but that will be released in early 2013)
3- ASUS Transformer powered by Windows RT device with the dock-keyboard addon.

The above are my recommendations.

However, I don't know which one will be on special. My time machine only works on a 1:1 ratio with the current time.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2012, 05:40   #3
lcdguy
Mod Master

lcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Currently i have been loving the nexus 7 i got recently. I have been really impressed with it.

I got the latest one (32GB, 3g)
Old 29th Nov 2012, 12:59   #4
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
nexus 7 is the default andriod tablet of choice not a lot of point in paying double for anything else thats out there in the andriod line up.

Nexus 10 if you want a bigger screen.

Only other tablet worth buying is made by apple, Rest need time to get content going for them.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2012, 14:58   #5
klausfinkel
What's a Dremel?

klausfinkel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nexus 7! The price dropped for the 16gb and 32gb, I'm getting the latter version next week! I had the chance to try it myself and I was simply blown away by it.
klausfinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2012, 15:07   #6
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
Currently i have been loving the nexus 7 i got recently. I have been really impressed with it.

I got the latest one (32GB, 3g)
I'm waiting on a Nexus 7 at the moment. Estimated dispatch date 3 Dec. 200 from ebuyer for the 32gb one. Well impressed seeing as the 16gb one disappeared from the 200 deal.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2012, 15:40   #7
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The 7 is a great little tablet, it just integrates itself into your life and doesn't require much tinkering to customise the way you want it. Just like the iPad, but different in execution. One assumes the 10 will be the same thing but bigger and better.

But if you like tinkering, then prepare to open a pandora's box of options. Nothing is more customisable/hackable than Android if you know what you're doing.
Old 29th Nov 2012, 16:02   #8
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
No kindle love? That would be my weapon of choice.
Old 29th Nov 2012, 16:09   #9
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Kindle is great for book reading but id struggle to recommend there tablet versions.
Old 30th Nov 2012, 00:18   #10
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Surface Pro (Windows 8 Pro, Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge CPU, digitize pen support, 10-point multi-touch screen, micro SD card slot for storage expansion, 1080p PLS display (Samsung IPS variation), 64GB or 128GB SSD, 4GB of RAM, USB 3.0 port, and mini-DisplayPort for proper multi-screen support (up to 2560x1440), will be only 899$.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 30th Nov 2012, 00:23   #11
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Kindle is great for book reading but id struggle to recommend there tablet versions.
No one can over the Nexus
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 02:27   #12
rici1241
Hypermodder

rici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyanrici1241 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The best tablet is arguably the surface pro. Its pricing has been announced. (Only US pricing, so far as I can tell)
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-...ows-8-pro/home

Best tablet for its price? Get yourself either a nexus 7 or 10.
Asus Z97-A | Intel 4690k (currently at stock) | 8GB Hyper-X 1866Mhz | Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo | MSI gtx 970 | Corsair 300r | Corsair RM 750w | 240GB mx100 (boot & programs) | 480GB mx100 (games) | 3TB WD Green
rici1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 11:33   #13
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
I like the Nexus 7/10 but common no card reader WTF!!!! and 200 more for a Tablet with one, its a bit much to ask no?
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 13:31   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Surface pro is an ultrabook with touch capability, they are even making you buy a keyboard for it.
Old 30th Nov 2012, 16:06   #15
Silent_Raider
Multimodder

Silent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run Crysis
As everyone else has said, Nexus 7 if you want an Andriod tablet.

Also, the Microsoft Surface RT is a great little piece of hardware. It's very solidly built. We have recently started using them at work, and they are excellent productivity tools.

It comes down to if you want Andriod or Windows 8 RT.
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H100 | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | 2x Crucial C300 256GB SSD| 2x MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III 4GB | Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA | Kingwin Lazer 1000W | LG 10x Blu-Ray Burner | Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX | Logitech G500 | Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Dragon Age III Edition) | 3 x Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" 3600x1920 | Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 | Win 7 x64 Ultimate
Silent_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 16:37   #16
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
Surface Pro *snip* will be only 899$.
LOL. $899 and a four hour battery life. It might be able to run your desktop apps but basic email/calendar usage is going to kill it as a usable work machine.

Okay the Apple devices have the best battery life (11/13 hours) but the Nexus 7 will do over 10+ which is a busy days usage.

4? 4 Hours?? 4 Smegging hours!!

It has a battery that won't see you past lunchtime and they call it 'Pro' ? Oh yeah, it's pro because it'll run Outlook and attach to an AD. Better bring that power adaptor with you to those meetings!
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 16:46   #17
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
LOL. $899 and a four hour battery life. It might be able to run your desktop apps but basic email/calendar usage is going to kill it as a usable work machine.
4-5h, and it's common with all ultrabooks. Battery life mentioned by Microsoft is on the safe, not stretched. Considering that most ultrabooks are significantly bigger too than 10inch, Surface Pro is battery is really good. Also, it's power adapter is small (unlike ultrabooks, where it's a brick), and its really fast at recharging. Microsoft really used some high quality battery.

The Surface is suppose to have 8h of battery life. Toms hardware got 10h playing video

Quote:
Okay the Apple devices have the best battery life (11/13 hours) but the Nexus 7 will do over 10+ which is a busy days usage.
Yes at doing what? playing iOS Clock App, or watching the most choppy menu navigation on Android? or watching a video which you spend 2h to convert as you can't install any codecs that you need.
Also, can it run Office? No, ok. Oh you guys have OpenOffice!!!! Wait only a reader... hmm ok.
How about simply connect it to a second screen? No.
How about having a desktop, ultrabook, and tablet all in one? Nope as well... ok...
How about OneNote? You know to write notes on the go, or class notes and have your notes super well organized, clean, and allow you to search through them, and include recorded segments, and have everything sync between your systems? No... Well I guess you have Evernote... it has half the features of OneNote.. and you get to write notes with your finger, or the thickest pen in the world. I guess it's an interesting attempt.
How about free music streaming of 30 million+ songs? no... Hmm Ok... How about running your desktop apps, you know, use it as a laptop, as what convertible Android based device suggest? No. Well what I can I say.

You can't do anything beside playing Angry Birds. OH NO WAIT!!!!! Android alloys you to put these cool 3D background on the main menu! W000t!!!! Ok you win there, you can't do that in any Windows base device.

Oh and Windows 8 can run Windows RT apps. So, you don't miss on them as well.

Surface Pro is 3 devices in one. Android and iOS are just 1. Yes you have the ASUS transformer, where you can turn it into a laptop. But the interface doesn't adapt itself to mouse and keyboard. Windows RT/8 does. If you used Windows 8 on your desktop, you'll see how it all works smartly, and this is just Microsoft first version. Android have been at it since ages, and can't compete. Adding mouse support doesn't magically fix things.

Quote:
It has a battery that won't see you past lunchtime and they call it 'Pro' ? Oh yeah, it's pro because it'll run Outlook and attach to an AD. Better bring that power adaptor with you to those meetings!
Typical, 0 argumentative fanboy comment.

Last edited by GoodBytes; 30th Nov 2012 at 17:13.
Old 30th Nov 2012, 16:47   #18
Silent_Raider
Multimodder

Silent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post

4? 4 Hours?? 4 Smegging hours!!

It's not out yet and hasn't been review, so how do we know what the battery life will be?

Also, you can't really compare it to the iPad, since it is running a real CPU with more RAM. Power consumption for an i5 will never be as low as an ARM CPU, but it will destroy it in processing power.

The closest comparison we have right now is the HP Slate 2, which ran an Intel Atom CPU and got 8 hours of battery life. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...t.69999.0.html
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H100 | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | 2x Crucial C300 256GB SSD| 2x MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III 4GB | Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA | Kingwin Lazer 1000W | LG 10x Blu-Ray Burner | Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX | Logitech G500 | Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Dragon Age III Edition) | 3 x Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" 3600x1920 | Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 | Win 7 x64 Ultimate
Silent_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 17:18   #19
SixKi113r
What's a Dremel?

SixKi113r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just bought a Kindle Fire HD for the wife Christmas present, I have an iPad, personally I think the Fire is pretty damn good
SixKi113r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 18:24   #20
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Closest comparison is the MacBook Air that it competes against, and it has 7-9hrs in my daily usage of one( macbook air that is)(word excel photoshop and a few other program's odd bit of music is a typical day to day)

It's what I currently carry around, surface pros main issue will be weight and battery life.

Battery life of 4hrs if that's doing office tasks its in trouble, air from my own usage is 7-9hrs
Weight is currently estimated close to 2 pounds. My 13.3inch air only weighs 2.5 pounds and that's with a keyboard and a much bigger screen.

Sorely tempted now to buy a retina MacBook Pro