bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Nov 2012, 07:09   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Game Zero, and surprises in gaming

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/.../30/game-zero/
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 08:43   #2
sstteevveenn
Minimodder

sstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well I guess hl2's blue gravity gun qualifies.

Carmageddon 2 when they suddenly started throwing trucks and combine harvesters into the mix. Then you can save up and buy the totally impractical yellow dump truck thing that doesn't even fit under the checkpoints.

The helicopters in gta vice city and again with the apache. Jet planes, skydiving, jetpacks etc in san andreas.
sstteevveenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 08:52   #3
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
It was 1981...

Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 09:58   #4
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
COD 4 - modern warfare, the sniper level... oh my god!
MGS4 - the split screen scenes Oh my hat!

********* spoiler *********
special thought to black ops 1 - right at the end when u find out u the other personality... just becos i never ever thought since COD4 that there was ever a story trying to be made in the COD crap series of single player campaigns.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 10:04   #5
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Lolz, the memories..

this was the game one of my schoolmates used to take the piss out of me and my 48k ZX Spectrum, given how utterly terrible ALL donkey kong clones were on the ZX.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 10:32   #6
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The first time I was involved in a 500+ player combat in Planetside. I stood solid still for a full minute watching everyone pour past me towards the target, guns blazing.

Perhaps not what the game had hidden, but possibly one of the most organic "surprises" I've ever had in a game.
Old 30th Nov 2012, 12:20   #7
decosse
What's a Dremel?

decosse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When the dogs jumped through the window in Resident Evil 1 (still the best one), I nearly actually cr**ed myself in RL.

Or trying to play more than 30 minutes of Doom 3 in the dark, equally as scary......
decosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 12:28   #8
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Probably when the flood first show up in Halo:CE. Up till then you were fighting the flamboyant covenant who really didn't seem scary or menacing at all (just hard to kill on legendary). Suddenly the flood arrive and it's like playing a survival horror game, especially with the really creepy Jenkins helmet cam cutscene, that set the mood perfectly.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 12:34   #9
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Would you kindly..."

'nuff said
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 13:09   #10
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna
"Would you kindly..."

'nuff said
Indeed

My all time favourite has to be the original Metal Gear Solid. I saw the demo on a playstation mag and was drawn in immediately. I played that demo and struggled at first with the whole stealth concept or being able to lean up against anything and peer around corners and still be able to pan the camera to look around.

MGS became an obsession and I played on the normal difficulty with my first run taking me almost 18 hours in total. I eventually got to play at the hardest level with a play time of just over 3 hours and narrowly missing out on the highest ranking achievement.

MGS had interesting characters from the go, great voice actors, atmosphere, seemless armed and unarmed combat, some fun with Meryl, torture and escape, BIG boss fights and a fine twist with Snake and Liquid as well as a sense of morality with the ending.

Sadly I've missed out on the later MGS series due to sticking with the PC platform and have come close to buying a PS just for that one game alone let alone any other prospectively good titles.

Oh and a film in currently in post production... Guess I am still obsessed with it
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 13:36   #11
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
ai.. how can i forget my MGS1

was my favourite game of all time (nd in some sense still is) to find out masterchief was actually liquid all along in that Japanese way thats not corny, then came COD4 MW1 with that final boss of 3sec in slow mo, so creative, that became number 1 and toppled again by MGS4...

now waiting for the next game to be number 1... aliens colonial marines... pls oh pls be great.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 16:35   #12
Roskoken
Multimodder

Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Docking a cobra MK III without a docking computer, good times.
Roskoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 18:16   #13
flibblesan
Destroyer

flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.flibblesan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
TIL: Somebody actually owned a Dragon 32.

For me it has to be Treasure Island Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum. Full of little in-jokes like the copy of Sinclair Abuser magazine that serves no purpose than to poke fun at a similarly titled Sinclair magazine of it's day. That game got me hooked on gaming bigtime. I owe it a lot of thanks in a way.
flibblesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 18:55   #14
Bhuvsta
Multimodder

Bhuvsta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That moment in Tie Fighter when you see your flying with Darth Vader.
Bhuvsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2012, 19:45   #15
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for presidentLordPyrinc should be considered for president
The original NES version of Legend of Zelda. Realizing there was a second difficulty with labrynths in different areas after beating the game the first time through.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote