bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Dec 2012, 10:37   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel denies BGA-only processor plan rumours

Swappable CPUs the norm for now, company claims.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...l-denies-bga/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 10:47   #2
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks like Charlie Demerjian was full of crap as usual.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 11:47   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Can't say I'm surprised by this.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 12:25   #4
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Factoid: Charlie is made of exquisitely painted faeces, bound together by some form of primordial goo. Bear this in mind when interpreting his "work".
Old 6th Dec 2012, 13:05   #5
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds like you didn't understand the plans at all. The rumours were never 'BGA only' for Broadwell and beyond.
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 14:29   #6
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Shock, horror. Conveniently controversial click generating rumour turns out to be wrong. There's a turn up for the books.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 15:04   #7
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I find it sad that AMD needed to jump on a rumour to somehow strengthen their position. They should get on with product research and delivery instead of piss poor PR.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 15:43   #8
thil
Multimodder

thil has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Given that Intel changes their socket every five minutes, would it even matter if they started welding CPUs to mobos?
thil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 16:23   #9
ZeDestructor
Multimodder

ZeDestructor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thil View Post
Given that Intel changes their socket every five minutes, would it even matter if they started welding CPUs to mobos?
Means I can't mix and match CPUs with mobos. If BGA CPUs hit enthusiast desktop, it would very likely end up with with 3 or so CPU/motherboards per cycle. Using current Ivy Bridge + Asus motherboard equivalents, here's what I would expect:

3570K + Z77 equivalent as the "cheap" option
3820K + sabertooth as "medium" option
3960X + ROG as top-of-the line option

No in-betweens becomes near-impossible....
ZeDestructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 16:27   #10
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
very very PR speak , intel very cagey - as allways about the future,

broadwell is far enough away to be covered by the facet of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel
'Intel remains committed to the growing desktop enthusiast and channel markets,' Intel's Daniel Snyder told the site, and will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future for our customers and the enthusiast DIY market.'

foreseeable future - 18 months is ` long term`. that an broadwell will be moving to MCP , making it incompatable to Haswell sockets anyway
Old 6th Dec 2012, 16:40   #11
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Not really, unless you want to be lying, foreseeable future means as far out as you've made any concrete plans. Considering Broadwell is pretty deep in to the planning stages, that is certainly within the Foreseeable future. Heck, Broadwell's successor probably could be convered under Foreseeable future as well.

Beyond that, who knows (Intel probably doesn't have any concrete plans on packing, contact count, etc much past Broadwell/Silverwell).
Old 6th Dec 2012, 16:47   #12
phoenixck
Supermodder

phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
very very PR speak , intel very cagey - as allways about the future,

broadwell is far enough away to be covered by the facet of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel
'Intel remains committed to the growing desktop enthusiast and channel markets,' Intel's Daniel Snyder told the site, and will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future for our customers and the enthusiast DIY market.'

foreseeable future - 18 months is ` long term`. that an broadwell will be moving to MCP , making it incompatable to Haswell sockets anyway
I think you've hit the nail on the head, all they mean at the moment is the next cpu architecture wont be BGA (though I wouldn't be surprised if some cpu/mobo combos did turn up).
I've always liked AMD, but haven't had a CPU from them for years, as they just cant compete at the moment.I just wish AMD could find a niche, like gaming processors, or low TDP CPU's (wishful thinking I know). They can't compete atm in almost any market and them relying on intel to go BGA only will mean intel wont just to spite them.

To do, put in a water loop, then fry all my components.
phoenixck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 16:49   #13
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel allready supply IB server parts as BGA - its a growing market
Old 6th Dec 2012, 16:58   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel can do what they want they hold 90% + of the current Desktop / Server CPU market, The fact is if they make a decent smartphone / tablet chip they could easily pick up apples cpu business for smartphones and tablets. ( looking at a 100mil chips a year easy) They already have distribution deals for its Macbook Range.

In 18months Intel will have chips that are capable of hitting Apples power requirements for its next products. Intel could easily offer them a better deal than what Samsung are doing at the present minute, Not sure if i was Samsung id be entirely happy with that comming to pass.

We could easily see the next big battle between Apple and Samsung been Intel on one side and Arm on the other. With Apple and Intels Resources would anyone really bet agaist them producing a chip that could blow everything away in the mobile space ( Theres already mobile cpus that are hitting insane performance figures produced by intel. They are rumored to be making a 10 watt chip this year if they get that to 5 watt ( the average smartphone cpu is 5 watts) they could snatch a tonne of business.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 17:14   #15
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
They are rumored to be making a 10 watt chip this year if they get that to 5 watt ( the average smartphone cpu is 5 watts) they could snatch a tonne of business.
But by the time they've got that to five watt, ARM based processors will be at 2.5W (or twice as powerfull and still 5W), at which point Intel will begin redoveloping theirs to 2.5W...
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 17:17   #16
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
It's probably cheaper too, configurations that are created "specifically" for a certain purpose. Plus in any case, it's to cash in on the rather lucrative server business anyhow.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 17:20   #17
phoenixck
Supermodder

phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBuilderSven
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
They are rumored to be making a 10 watt chip this year if they get that to 5 watt ( the average smartphone cpu is 5 watts) they could snatch a tonne of business.
But by the time they've got that to five watt, ARM based processors will be at 2.5W (or twice as powerfull and still 5W), at which point Intel will begin redoveloping theirs to 2.5W...
Indeed I think without a massive change in their business model (which might be coming up considering they seem now to be focusing more on mobile chips) Intel will almost always lag behind arm in terms of development, just as AMD play catchup to intel in the desktop market (not very well mind you), intel play catch up to arm in the mobile department.

To do, put in a water loop, then fry all my components.
phoenixck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 17:52   #18
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rasberry pi

model a is 2.5w and model b is 3.5w - allready being done

samsung galaxy Y uses the same soc as the pi , so 2.5w is allready in use;

intel coming in at 10w have a huge way to go

Last edited by Harlequin; 6th Dec 2012 at 17:57.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 18:17   #19
ZeDestructor
Multimodder

ZeDestructor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Not according to ark.intel.com . All current server chips I can be bothred looking up use LGA something (1155,1356,1366,1567,2011). There are a few CPUs that use BGA, but nothing on mainstream desktop/server is BGA.

EDIT: Ivy Bridge isn't in anything but the lowest-end servers and workstations.... Everyone is still using Sandy Bridge/Sandy Bridge-E on midrange/high-end servers. No idea where you get your info from....
ZeDestructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 18:20   #20
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/53495

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59138

seems i can be bothered to check server chips

Tags
amd, bga, daniel snyder, enthusiast market, intel, lga, maximum pc, processor, socket