bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Dec 2012, 09:30   #1
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Attila's Cor Leonis water-cooled scratchbuild is finished

Two-time Mod of the Year winner Attila returns in 2012 with his latest epic build, Cor Leonis!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/modding...d-scratchbui/1
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2012, 20:20   #2
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
I think there was an issue with the forum comment link hence lack of comments! Fixed now - sorry Attila!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2012, 20:28   #3
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Noticed that, my favorite latest news article in a while on here.

Man it's a beauty.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2012, 21:10   #4
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
I think there was an issue with the forum comment link hence lack of comments! Fixed now - sorry Attila!
Naah, we're all just still:

In about a week we'll snap out of it and actually say something. Incoherent.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2012, 21:26   #5
Eldorado
Needs new glasses..

Eldorado has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Incredible!
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2012, 09:06   #6
blinkieleblind
Tings and such

blinkieleblind has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
one of the most incredible designs i have seen.
Old 9th Dec 2012, 12:43   #7
S1W1
Multimodder

S1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Stunning.
AMD X6 1090T OC @ 3.75GHZ | Corsair H50 cooler | 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHZ | Asus M4N98TD Evo Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB OC| XFX 750W Black Edition PSU | Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 HDD | 300GB WD Velociraptor | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | NZXT Hades mid tower with red LEDS and engraved side panels | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | Asus Xonar DX |
=== Alienware M11X R3 laptop ===
S1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2012, 13:10   #8
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Am I the only one who finds the slight angle of the short middle pipe in the cooling loop really, really annoying?

Love the build though...
What kind of cost goes in to a build like this, excluding actual PC components?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2012, 18:33   #9
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
@SchizoFrog - I think he got a deal on scrap if I remember correctly, and there was a lot of leftovers from the previous builds... So time and maybe a little skin off the fingers?
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 00:55   #10
Player-x
What's a Dremel?

Player-x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
If you can do everything/most things your self, then actually its not that extremely expensive, if your gone count the man-hours, then you talk about at least a four zero figure.

Lets say you pay a company € 25/hour (what is real cheap €40~€50 is more realistic), times 100 hours (its properly a lot more, looking at all the work and the detail), then is € 2500 a starting price for this case, but it would be more likely around €5000 to €7000.

Its a unique build, so you cant compare it with of the shelf cases, not even the likes like the Silverstone TJ11.

@Attila, excellent craftsmanship, cant find anything miss with it.
Player-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 02:22   #11
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can definitely see a 3rd MOTY here.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 04:50   #12
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Thanks for the feedback people. I wasn't asking from a 'buyer's' perspective but rather from a 'modder's' perspective. Not counting the tools, equipment and obviously the components, what, if any, is an average costing for the materials needed to craft a case, especially a high-end detailed one such as this? Maybe it's too much of an ambiguous question...
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 09:05   #13
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Am I the only one who finds the slight angle of the short middle pipe in the cooling loop really, really annoying?

Love the build though...
+1 now you mention it; it's all I can see :-)
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 13:51   #14
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
This project has to be one of the coolest designs I have ever seen. I would be proud to sport this thing on my desk.

I'm just completely speechless, with the exception of this post.

Incredible work!
LilyPC V.2 - completed! • BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser! • "Movie Sign!" - in progress • CheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser! • BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser! • Lumiθre Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser! • NOTalis w/ MNPCTech • "Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 15:17   #15
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223 View Post
+1 now you mention it; it's all I can see :-)
This was discussed quite a bit in the build thread actually. And I agree, if this were my case that would bother me, but its not my case and its still a pure cheesecake build.
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 18:55   #16
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
@Schizo - Oh. Again- It depends on what you use and if it's cheap locally. For instance, one of my builds cost about $50, and another $900. -Just for case materials. The cheap one was mostly the cost of screws and rivets.
One of the amazing things about this build is that Attila used tools that could be had for about $100 total in the US.

-Sorry about the thread derail. I could go on all day on the subject.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2012, 22:23   #17
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Thanks for the nice words regarding the case.

On the question of costs. I don't know what this cost. As cheaps has said though, most of the aluminium in the build is left over from the previous build. That's not to say I didn't have to spend money. Paint, anodising, screws (those black ones were horrendously expensive, iirc they cost seventy five bucks), those w/c fittings that are so expensive and lots of other things I can't even remember at the moment. But it was all going fine till I lost my job and then I had to virtually stop spending on this. Again as cheaps has noted, tooling costs don't really matter, most of the more frequently used tools I've had for years, and they can all be had for less than a hundred bucks. Just a jigsaw, hacksaw, drill and bits and a bunch of hand files.

Regarding the link from CPU to GPU; Like a lot of other things with this project, I've had to scale things back due to lack of finances. The original idea (after I threw out making my own blocks), was with more plumbing and a more symmetrical look (details in the log). I'm not too happy about a lot things but I also wanted to finish this. It's been around far too long.

On a more positive note, I still have heaps of alu left over for something else in the future.
Old 10th Dec 2012, 23:36   #18
faxiij
Multimodder

faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Really stunning. The dedication that goes into your builds Attila.... From where I'm standing, you might as well get a fu**ing hall of fame just for yourself. I am sure, this is a top contender for MotY and anyone else nominated should be 'shitting their pants', so to speak

Still. Seeing as you raise the bar to a place none has ever been, the level and detail of critique equally sees it's bar risen. And if I have to be completely honest, I can't stop but feel you should be slapped for covering up a piece of beauty. Those innards are a piece of art. Yet they are covered up in a way that is not even close to being up par with the rest of the build (front aside, that front piece is exceptional!).

Right now, looking at that sideshot with the side on, I can't even find a way to like the lines. It does feel a bit, like you drew the Mona Lisa and then put a hand-sewn towel over her. Or took Miss Universe and put a Paperbag over her Head. But of course, taste is subjective and I might just be spoiled that everything else is just a 110%.

Still, this is just so much win. I guess what I'm trying to say, shed those pics with the sidepanels on and focus on the inside. That's where this is a true winner to me.
faxiij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2013, 19:50   #19
SXRguyinMA
Multimodder

SXRguyinMA has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love clicking on the project log link to only be given a shitty pop up ad. No wonder why this site is going downhill so fast.
SXRguyinMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2013, 19:57   #20
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
This site is free. You didn't think it runs on pixie dust, did you?
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote