bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Dec 2012, 09:28   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel launches 6-8W Atom S1200 server chips

Takes aim at the cloud computing, micro-server markets.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2012/12...-atom-server/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 07:29   #2
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Speaking as an AMD fanboy, I can only say, SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY.

All this just comes across as petty and weak - you didn't see Intel pissing on AMD when Bulldozer turned out to be a massive failure. Or when Piledriver turned out to be less than it should have been.

Enough already, AMD. Keep your heads down and hope and pray that Steamroller gets AMD competitive with more than the lowest-end i3s...when it's Intel's dual-core versus AMD's 8-core.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 02:03   #3
yougotkicked
A.K.A. YGKtech

yougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That last line kills me, and fills me with hope at the same time. I was doubtful whether intel was actually committed to the massively-multithreaded concept until I saw that price break. I'm betting we'll see server boards come out with support for many processors on riser cards, no one wants a thousand processors if it means they need a thousand motherboards, power supplies, cases etc.

just to put 6W in perspective, you could power a server farm's worth of these chips without breaking a sweat on a stationary bike.
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB ::::: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
128GB Intel SSD :::: 2x WD 1TB drives in RAID 1
yougotkicked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amd, arm, atom s1200, atom s1220, atom s1240, atom s1260, atom server, cortex-a50, data centre, intel atom, seamicro, server, server soc, soc, system on chip