1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (E-ATX mod) FINAL PICTURES: 12th March - 2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikkop, 12 Dec 2012.

1. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

The latest update is 12/03 2013.
    Please find it, thanks :)

[​IMG]

Hello and welcome to my project and my build/project log named " Big Bro 'Prodigy ."

In this project, a well-planned and excecute modification of computer chassis named "BitFenix ​​Prodigy" will be performed.
    The modification will be performed in a manner so that the end result is something I've never seen before.
    I hope you readers will find my project interesting, both the arrangement, modification, the idea and the final product.

To make this project possible, I have a couple of business partners with well-known names.
    Let me introduce you to them and thank them for supporting my work and giving me this opportunity:
    _____________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]
    GIGABYTE has provided me with the following product:

[​IMG]
    AquaTuning have provided me with the following products:

[​IMG]
    BitFenix​​ has provided me with the following products:
    Products of at Inet (Swedish retailer).

[​IMG]
    Dustin Home has provided me with the following product:

[​IMG]
    BeQuiet! has provided me with the following product:

[​IMG]
    Mountain Mods has provided me with the following product:

Thank you again! Without you, this project would not be able to be done.
    Photos, videos, and more will reviews of the products will presented in this project.

"To Do" list:
    • [X] Writing the introduction and presentation of the project. - 9/12 2012
    • [X] Remove chassis parts and remove some metal pieces. - 12/12 2012
    • [X] Show prototypes and the chassis. - BitFenix ​​ products wil be used here. - 16/12 2012
    • [X] Cut holes and mount a plexiglass window on the side panel. - 05/01 2013
    • [X] Modify the motherboard tray - MountainMods products will be used here. - 03/2 2013
    • [X] Fix the new place for the power supply. - BeQuiet! products wil be used here. - 03/2 2013 + 20/4 2013
    • [X] Unboxing of GIGABYTE z77x-UP7 and test-mounting in the case - 12/03 -2013
    • [X] Attaching new motherboard plate and its I / O & PCI-E ports. - - 08/04 -2013
    • [X] Replacing the old I / O & PCI-E back on the chassis with aluminum "mesh". - 30/04 -2013
    • [X] Modification of the front panel - 24/05 -2013
    • [X] Modification of the top - 16/06 - 2013
    • [X] Even more mesh! and AquaTuning is sponsoring - 10/07 - 2013
    • [X] Unboxing & Overview of the GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC - 02/08 -2013
    • [X] Cut holes for I/O and assembly - 28/08 -2013
    • [X] The case and it's parts are done - 14/12 -2013
    • [X] Test, review and show products. GIGABYTE products will be used here.
    • [X] Mount the water cooling - AquaTuning​​ products will be used here. 24/01 -2014
    • [X] Final pictures. - 12/03 - 2014
    More things to do may be added.

Introduction - What and why? - 9/12 2012
    Welcome to my introduction to my project " Big Bro 'Prodigy "!

I will now present my project and tell you what it will be about.

The idea:
    What kind of project will I do?
    What kind of modification will I make to the BitFenix ​​Prodigy?
    Why?

The reason I wanted to do a project and a modification of this particular chassis is because I, when it was announced, was very interested in this chassis. In my last project I modified one of the prettiest chassis available in my opinion, the PowerMac G5.
    When I saw BitFenix ​​Prodigy, it felt like a "little brother" to the PowerMac G5 because of how the front and handles on the top and bottom looked.
    I felt that this is a chassis I want to deal with.

I looked at acquiring myself a m-ITX motherboard but I found nothing that suited me. I am in need of 4x RAM slots (m-ITX has only 2x) and I love overclocking and general stuff with computers, so m-ITX unfortunately was no choice for me.
    Many have wished that this chassis would be released as at least m-ATX chassis and I also wished for that because I've got a mATX board.
    That's when I figured I should take matters into my own hands and fix me a Prodigy that fits my needs.

But no, I will not modify the chassis to fit a mATX motherboard, sorry guys. Many have guessed at it, and I'll admit, it was actually my first idea for a while. Then, however, Isaw that there is already a guy out on the wide internet that has done this.
    I felt I want to be unique and do something that nobody else has done, so I decided to not make a m-ATX chassis by Prodigy.

What am I going to do?

Thanks for asking :)
    My modification will become something even greater, something even more extreme and something even more unique.
    I'm going in my project and in this log modify a BitFenix ​​Prodigy so much so that it fits with a ..

Wait for it ...

m-ATX ...

and ...

ATX ...

and even ...

E-ATX!

You read that right. I'll modify my BitFenix ​​Prodigy so it keeps an almost complete E-ATX motherboards. This is a form factor greater than ATX (which is the motherboard "noramal" size). An m-ITX chassis that will swallow a E-ATX motherboard! >:)
    However, the "standard" for E-ATX is 30.5cm x 33cm, and this will unfortunately not fit physically. I will fit motherboard up to 30.5cm x 28cm, which is larger than the standard "ATX". Many E-ATX motherboards are 30.5cm x 27cm, for example the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP7.
    I can, with even more modification, fit a motherboard that is a full size E-ATX, which is 30.5cm x 33cm. I will however not do this, but it is possible with some extending of the case (I wan't to keep the exterior original).

The reason I will perform this modification is because I want to make room for larger motherboards than the intended m-ITX (17cm x 17cm). This is an aesthetically attractive chassis that is very capable of doing much. With the help of my modification, I will be able to get the motherboard that is almost four times as large as intended. Not bad!
    The chassis is very popular among enthusiasts and making a modification as extreme like this of this chassis I will be extremely exciting! My goal is to show what the Prodigy can actually go for and what it is capable of.
    Hope you do as well and are eager to follow my project log.

Any form of constructive criticism are welcome! :) Positive and negative.
    Thanks in advance
    Hope you like it here in my little project log
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

Last edited: 12 Mar 2014
    Pranja likes this.
  2. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

UPDATE 13/12 -2012

The Prodigy and emptying it - 13/12 2012

Hey!
    First and foremost, I want to present my latest collaboration partners. It is a reputable company and you have certainly come across their name many times and maybe even used their products.

Let me introduce:
    [​IMG]
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte will provide me with a monstrous motherboard, their top model for socket 1155, by the name of GA-Z77X-UP7 .
    [​IMG]

This motherboards color theme will suit perfectly to my project as I will use hot colors such as - Yellow, Orange and Red.
    The GA-Z77X-UP7 also allows for QUAD SLI/CF (four graphics cards ), has dual 8pin for the CPU and holds the world record for overclocking "Intel Ivy Bridge" processor (7.102GHz).
    For more information, unboxing, review, overclocking, photographs and use of the product in my modification will happen when I get the motherboard from Gigabyte . Until then, we must content ourselves with excitement waiting for it! :)

On to some pictures!

Plot:
    Here I come with an update that will involve:
    • A look at the chassis - BitFenix ​​Prodigy.
    • Emptying the chassis on its content.

BitFenix ​​Prodigy
    This update will include products from:
    [​IMG]

Let's take a look at the chassis!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that we have seen how the chassis looks like, let's empty it! :)

Emptying the chassis

Let's get down to business!

This is how the chassis looks without the side panels and everything else default.
    [​IMG]

I begin by removing the upper HDD cage. Very easy to do because of the "clips", small handles are pressed together and then goes on to pull out. Very easy and takes a few seconds, no need for screws and the like. Even cradles where the hard drive are placed are made in the same way, nice!
    [​IMG]

To remove the lower hard drive cage it is required that we turn the chassis over and remove a couple of screws from the bottom. Not too difficult either.
    [​IMG]

After two hard drive cages are removed I pick off the front panel of the chassis. This is easily done with a pair of "clips" on the inside of the chassis in the front. Poke at them in the right direction and release it. There are a total of 4 pieces.
    [​IMG]

I also want to remove the 5.25" mount because I do not use an optical drive (I'm a USB-man!) I also need to remove it because of the modification. Simple done with a number of screws on the outside in the front and a few on the inside. (I'm sure you can fix an optical drive mount in another way if you want to follow this project).
    The chassis looks pretty stupid and ridiculous without the front panel, so we'll make sure not to lose it! ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then pick out the two included fans. I guess they are 120mm Spectre.
    [​IMG]

On top of the chassis there is a "fan grill" where you can attach 2x 120mm fans, or an entire 240 radiator for water cooling. We get rid of this one aswell :)
    [​IMG]

There, now is the chassis relatively empty! What remains is the motherboard plate for m-ITX motherboard that sits inside the chassis in a rather unique way. This is a rather massive piece of metal. Let's remove this one too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This motherboard tray is stuck with quite a few rivets. Rivets can be removed easier by drilling them apart, right through it. Then loosens the "head" and pop rivet releases. This is done as said most easily with a drill, but then I do not have such a tool at the moment so I solve using a dremel/multifunction tools and a drill.
    Sometimes it happens that the drill stuck, so a real drill is recommended.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what the metal piece when it is removed from the chassis and laid on the desk looks likes. Getting it off was a pain, partly because I had the wrong tools, but also my dog ​​got really angry and barked a lot because of the sound of the tool.
    [​IMG]

Now the case, BitFenix ​​Prodigy, is completely empty of content, and the "body" and the feet are what is left. This gives me the opportunity to start my modification that will happen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chassis felt a lot much easier on the weight after it was emptied, which is quite understandable. As we can see in the picture below, pretty much was taken out, everything from the motherboard plate to hard drive cages, fans, front panel, side panels, etc.
    [​IMG]

That was my update which was about the chassis and the emptying of the chassis. Henceforth modification start and I hope you look forward to it as much as I do! :)

I'm going tomorrow to record a video and hopefully make an soon. Here, I will show prototype images of how I thought that this project will look like, while I'm in the video will show it "live" and how I'm going to do. I'll embed the video in this projectlog, of course.
    We can then using prototype images imagine how it will look like, and thus know how it will be with the finished product!

I'm extremely psyched and looking forward to this project a lot! :)

If you have questions or concerns, or just criticism, please write in this thread! :)
    Thank you for reading.

See you soon,
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

3. Sissilisko

Sissilisko What's a Dremel?

Nice start, i really wait to see how you are going to fit the motherboard in there :p and i really could learn quite a lot of how to make the "project log" cause it's clean simple and really well made and it tells really much of this mod before even seeing much of the mod :)

Good luck mate

4. Dmlindley

Dmlindley What's a Dremel?

I love the wave of Prodigy builds!!! It's such a great case with so much potential!!! Looking forward to the progress of this build. *sub'd*

5. Gimlehr

Gimlehr What's a Dremel?

The prodigy case is a little bit of awesome, personally I think its a shame that so many mods turn the MB on the vertical, I personally would love to see a prodigy mod that keeps the overall design on the horizontal MB layout..

That being said I am looking forward to the rest of your build!

6. helg0306

helg0306 What's a Dremel?

I have been build the same setup as you in sketchup. It is possible to do a raven motherboard placement and do 4x crossfire /quadsli.
    Even watercooling to everything if 2x2 120 rad is placed in the back of the case.
    Looking forward!

7. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot for your kind words :)

I focus a lot on having a clean, detailed and professional looking project log. That way people can follow it easily and even perform the steps themselves if they wish to do so :)

About fitting the motherboard. I planned on releasing another update today with a video but unfortunately my memory card for the camera got corrupt, so I've struggled with it all day :(
    Tomorrow however I'll record a clip and then make an update about it! :)

Much potential indeed!
    Thanks for following this build. I hope you'll like it! :)
    Fitting an E-ATX motherboard in this case is something I look forward to a lot, hope you do too! :)

Thanks
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

8. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

The Prodigy is awesome indeed.

But why is it a shame to place it vertically, like in a regular computer case?
    Placing it like it's supposed to be in the Prodigy, lying down, limits you a lot when it comes to using PCI-E ports and a lot of other stuff. You can't even fit an ATX that way I'm afraid :(

So to use an ATX/E-ATX you must place it vertically :)

Hi,

Oh you have? :D Cool, haha.

Yep 4x graphics card won't be an issue, neither will watercooling.

I have just recorded some videoclips showing how and what I'll do. I'll hopefully get it edited tonight or on saturday, and the post it here togheter with my prototype images as an update :)

I would like to see your prototypes too, just too see if we've thought the same or how you've thought :) If you'd like you could PM me those sketchups.

Other than that stay tuned and look for the updates! :)
    As I said one is coming up today or tomorrow!

Best Regards
    Nikko

9. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Here's an update for all of you! ;)

Prototype images and Video - 16/12

Hi! Hope you're all good.
    Please enjoy my update and comment! :)

Thanks

To be able to visualize my ideas and how this modification is going to end up like I've decided to make a couple of prototype images and a video clip where I explain what I will do.
    I've done these so I can show you what I'm going to do in this project log, but at the same time for myself to be able to see what I want the final product to look like.
    As you probably know by now my modification will consist of putting an ATX/E-ATX motherboard into a m-ITX case.
    Please have a look at my video and my images and you'll find out how I've planned this modification.

Video:
    Please have a look at my video describing the modification!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG-RNH_3m_A

First I'll show you the orignal pictures for each part and then my prototypes

Front
    Original:
    [​IMG]

Modified:
    Let's start by looking at how the case will look from the front.
    I will paint the front panel yellow to match my computer speakers (KRK Rokit G2 5").
    At the same picture we see the window on the side that will be fixed as well.
    [​IMG]

Side
    Original:
    [​IMG]

Modified:
    Here's a picture of what the case will look like with the side panel removed.
    It's also this motherboard, the GA-Z77X-UP7, that I will use in this project.
    We see that the motherboard has been angled 90 degress (compared to "standard). This is a must to fit a ATX/E-ATX motherboard.
    I'll have a few centimeters/an inch free of the sides.
    This also means that the back of the motherboard (I/O, PCI) will be on top of the case.
    [​IMG]

With the side panel in spot with a modified window a lot of the computer content will be visible from the outside.
    [​IMG]

Original:
    [​IMG]

Modified:
    As I mentioned the motherboard tray and all it's I/O and PCI-slots must be on top of the case.
    This means I must remove the 120x2 fan spots to be able to fit this tray.
    The tray will let me use all seven PCI-slots, which is many more than one PCI-slot that m-ITX motherboards offer.
    This is seen from above.
    [​IMG]

Back
    Original:
    [​IMG]

Modified:
    Last but not least we have the backside where the I/O, PCI-ports and PSU are placed.
    I will remove this part and replace it with an aluminum mesh with a thickness of 1mm, which I will paint dark gray/black.
    The mesh will also allow for good airflow and fans will be attached.
    [​IMG]

Other
    Doing this extreme modification with fitting an ATX/E-ATX motherboard into this case brings a few negative stuff.
    I will not be able to use as many hard drives as the un-modified Prodigy can hold. This is because of all space the hard drive cages take.
    However, I will be able to fit a few and that's more than enough for me. If you have ten hard drives maybe you have to think it over tho.

These were my prototypes of what the final product will look like.
    What do you think about it? :)

Thanks for reading
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

biojellywobbles likes this.
  10. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Looks like a great mod, very ambitious to try and fit that goliath of a motherboard in there! Where will you be mounting the power supply?

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I wonder where you will place the PSU. The only place i can think of is above the CPU/RAM area, and use a closed loop with single 120mm radiator or a low profile cooler. But it would make a window option pointless, as it would cover the RAM and CPU area.

12. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the kind words :)

About the Power Supply.
    I have a few ideas and options to choose from. The reason I didn't present any of them in the video and pictures is because I'm not really sure which option to go with.

When I cut the hole for the motherboard tray and when I receive the motherboard (GA-Z77X-UP7), that's when I will be able to try the options out and decide which to go with.
    I have to admit, the placement of the power supply is a hard one, but I think I'll manage it just fine :)

As I said, once I get the motherboard and cut the hole for the tray, that's when I'll present the placement of the PSU, I have a few ideas.

Other than that, do you think the mod will turn out awesome? :) I hope it does, I'm very thrilled.

Thanks again,
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

13. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hi again guys!

Just wanted to let you know I've found the perfect place for the PSU where it wont be seen at all! :)

I will show you once Im there with the project ;)

Best Regards
    Nikkop

14. Glyph

Glyph What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to it!

15. helg0306

I like the mesh in the back of the case very much!

I will send the sketchup modul of my version!

16. helg0306

Because of the forum rules, im not allow to PM you before reaching 10 posts :(

So you are getting a few Pictures here, if it's not okay, i will remove them Again.

Here is a Picture of the E-ATX mobe with 4x 7970 :D

[​IMG]

The psu mounting and one of the potential watercooling mounting Places

[​IMG]

17. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks! :) Stay tuned!

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I like it too, especially if I manage to get the color somehow like the rest of the case :)

Sweet! It's a bit funny though, seems like we've thought exactly the same about the setup.

That is exactly the PSU placement I found out two days ago and that I'm probably going with haha :)
    We are thinking the same it seems ;)

I haven't decided where to have my radiator though, I have a few options that I will try out. :dremel:

Best Regards
    Nikkop

18. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

As a recent owner of a Prodigy system I feel obligated to crap myself after having seem your plans, and for the record you've made me feel completely inadequate as my plans for tweaking the case are nowhere near as ambitious.

Bravo! I can't wait to see how this turns out.

19. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thank you a lot for your kind words, they really make me want to proceed with this project even more! :)

Recent owner? :O Why did you get rid off your Prodigy? :(

Thanks again! I just thought that I'd like to do something revolutionary with a popular case like the Prodigy, at the same time as I was disappoint that it was only available for m-ITX.

I hope you find this project interesting enough to follow it! :)

Best Regards
    Nikkop

20. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Oh no I haven't gotten rid of it, it's a recent acquisition! One that has prompted me to already modify the PSU cage to fit my PSU, and water cool it since I wasn't a fan of the noise my GTX 680 4GB card was making to keep itself cool. My only problem is after having seen a few Prodigy mods on this forum I've got ideas percolating through my brain that won't go away! lol

Definitely following this build if just to see how the insanity turns out! :)