bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Dec 2012, 09:23   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The Secret World drops subscription model

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2012/12...iption-model/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 09:37   #2
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
That didn't take long. Aligns pretty well with my take on subscription/non-subscription-based games. Either you pay for the game at retail and then playing is free or you pay a monthly fee but get the game for free.

Also, caught a typo: "Players will only be required to play an upfront amount..". I'm sure that should read "pay".

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 12:28   #3
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
WOW still has 10mil subs.

Till that number drops to somewhere closer to 5mil, No Paid MMO will ever succeed in the numbers they require to make it successful. if your gonna pay 8 a month then you may as well pay it to blizzard is the general oppinion many have.

Rift is the next biggest mmo with 1million players.( its the only other paid mmo to have maintained a paid player base)

I also personally feel the time of MMOs is passing, The day when they were for the hardcore elite players is long since gone and that will not return.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 15:14   #4
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
I'm surprised they are offering only a 10% boosts/discounts for subscribers. That really doesn't seem worth the money and I wonder if this plan will work out well for them in the long run.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 17:16   #5
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think developers should give up on the traditional mmo for a while. Let WoW shed its subscribers and try again in a couple of years with some fresh ideas, not just copying Blizzards.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 01:21   #6
dolphie
wts batwings

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This game has lots of fresh ideas though. It's set on Earth (albeit a freaky spooky version of it), it has no levels, it has assault rifles and shotguns and whatnot - as well as magic, there are no fixed classes - you just buy skill points in whatever spells or abilities you want as you go, and they really took questing to a whole new level with the investigation quests and some of the other more interesting ones.

It's pretty far from perfect though, but I really liked it and I think most people gave it a harder time than it really deserved, or just didn't even try it at all. I think it's a shame. Although now I get to play it for free! So I'm happy.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 02:09   #7
chemo
True Jungle Brother

chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
WOW still has 10mil subs.

Till that number drops to somewhere closer to 5mil, No Paid MMO will ever succeed in the numbers they require to make it successful. if your gonna pay 8 a month then you may as well pay it to blizzard is the general oppinion many have.

Rift is the next biggest mmo with 1million players.( its the only other paid mmo to have maintained a paid player base)

I also personally feel the time of MMOs is passing, The day when they were for the hardcore elite players is long since gone and that will not return.
wasnt this game about 13 a month though? takes the whatsits!
it pains me to pay out 9 a month for the other mmo's ive played, this one was far too high
chemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 12:34   #8
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Rift and wow are at about 8 im not sure what this is or was. 15 euro i read not sure what that transfers too.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 21:35   #9
dolphie
wts batwings

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yeah it was more expensive than the others. But now there is no subscription at all, you just buy the box and then play free forever. There are even some really good deals on the box itself too.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote