bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Dec 2012, 10:41   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Samsung tapes out first 14nm FinFET-based parts

Future SoCs will require far less power.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...msung-finfet/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 11:32   #2
barny2767
Multimodder

barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Im hoping that since GlobalFoundries is involved in this AMD will be able to jump on FinFET and 14nm production before Intel realy gets its Tri-Gate in to production as this may give AMD the boost they need to put out low power or higher performance chips
AMD PII x4 980 @ 4.2ghz - watercooled with a 280mm rad - Crosshair III formula - 8Gb Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600Mhz - PNY 680GTX - 60Gb OCZ solid3 SSD - 1tb Samsung F1 HDD - Antec P193 Case -Lots of fans - Cheap 22'' 1080p Acer monitor- Cheap 2.1 logitech speakers - Razor Deathadder 3500dpi mouse - Vespula mat- Lycosa keybord
barny2767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 11:40   #3
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
"Sadly, a tape-out does not a product make" should be "Sadly, a tape-out does not make a product".

Anyways, getting the chips smaller, resulting in less powerdraw is all nice and dandy, and I hope that the industry can keep their set goal of Q1 2014 for those 14nm-parts.

Unfortunately the real power-hungry parts - aka the GPUs - are still manufactured in 28nm and won't see a shrink that soon, if we believe all the chatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barny2767 View Post
Im hoping that since GlobalFoundries is involved in this AMD will be able to jump on FinFET and 14nm production before Intel realy gets its Tri-Gate in to production as this may give AMD the boost they need to put out low power or higher performance chips
intel - if all goes as planned - will start with their new plant in Arizona in Q3/Q4 2013. I don't think that AMD will be faster than this.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 12:25   #4
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"lithographic processor"

process perhaps ?
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 12:28   #5
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by barny2767

Dafuq ?! Intel has been using "TriGate transistors" in its Ivy Bridge and will be using them in the upcoming Haswell and onwards.
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 13:12   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
"Sadly, a tape-out does not a product make" should be "Sadly, a tape-out does not make a product".
No, it shouldn't: I wrote what I meant and I meant what I wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
"lithographic processor" process perhaps ?
That, on the other hand, was a mistake. Fixed, ta!
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 15:51   #7
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto
Quote:
Originally Posted by barny2767

Dafuq ?! Intel has been using "TriGate transistors" in its Ivy Bridge and will be using them in the upcoming Haswell and onwards.
Exactly. Intel is looking at 14nm roughly sometime in early 2014. Unless the other fabs manage some serious catch-up work, they are going to be looking at late 2014 in to 2015 before they manage that.

Other than NAND, for processor transistors most have not gotten below 28nm yet and I really doubt they are going to skip a full node. Most are looking at transitioning to 20nm sometime in 2013 (probably late 2013 or early 2014).

General cadence industry wide is about 2-2 1/2 years per processing node shrink, Intel just happens to be roughly 18-30 months ahead of most everyone else with lithographic size.
Old 21st Dec 2012, 17:21   #8
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
and unless somebody comes up with 80bn, thats how it's gonna stay
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 17:53   #9
technogiant
Supermodder

technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.
Well a smaller process size and trigate/finfet transistor architecture didn't really work out to be "all that" for Intel in the change from Sandybridge to Ivybridge. Only gave a 27% improvement in tdp from 98w for SB and 77w for IB at the same performance level not the quoted 50% improvement and that was not just due to the finfet design but also include a shrink to 22nm.
IB's thermals are poor...I don't think Intel have either their 22nm process or trigate design right yet.
technogiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 22:19   #10
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
14nm is at least a year away from intel more like 2 from anyone else.

Taped out does not mean its ready to go into full scale production, intel already has a working 14nm chip, will take at least 2 years from tapes out to full scale.

AMD can't just switch from tmsc they have long term contracts.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2012, 22:39   #11
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Ah OK. Not a native speaker so it looked awkward to me

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 10:09   #12
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Ah OK. Not a native speaker so it looked awkward to me
You are quite right that it does look weird, so it is good that you can spot things like that, but it is actually a semi-commonly used phrase.It's just bad luck on your part this time.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2012, 02:48   #13
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
"lithographic processor" process perhaps ?
That, on the other hand, was a mistake. Fixed, ta!
the first one, he was being Yoda
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm, arm cortex-a7, common platform, cortex, finfet, globalfoundries, samsung, semiconductor, soc, system on chip, tri-gate transistor