bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 19th Jun 2014, 09:28   #1
sntmods
Minimodder

sntmods has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsntmods has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Unnamable Aquabox

I've got to tell you, its taken me a long time to get to where I am currently at with this little project of mine (and countless dollars). I was in the concept stage for nearly one year and totally destroyed a Fractal case to finally realize that it was never going to allow me to do what I really wanted to do. I had to build something from scratch to my specifications to make me happy.

I'd like to thank TAP plastics of the San Francisco Bay Area for providing the Acrylic for this little labor of love.

Part Sources:
McMaster Carr
FrozenCPU
Newegg
Aquatuning

As I put together the finishing touches over the next few weeks, I'll break everything down and start over piece by piece to reveal all the little insides. I'll just leave a few teasers for now.

I've got two 480mm Alphacool XT-45 Radiators, one for each loop. A little overkill as Im only cooling one video card, a cpu and the mainboard. =)

-Dan
sntmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2014, 16:49   #2
Hanoverfist
Multimodder

Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm watching..Looks pretty beefy so far.
Hanoverfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2014, 19:54   #3
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
What is that? -1/2 plexi? Looks MASSIVE. She must weigh a ton already.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 10:11   #4
sntmods
Minimodder

sntmods has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsntmods has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
1/2", well... Kinda. The 4 sides are made up of 3/8" acrylic with 1/8" panels cemented together. This was done so I could create some channels for the other pieces to slide into and provide some strength and alignment to the motherboard tray. This will make more sense when I post the next batch of pictures.

I have a package flying in from FrozenCPU, eta by the end of this next Friday, that includes all the remaining fittings needed to complete the two loops and finally test for leaks.
Old 25th Jun 2014, 06:33   #5
sntmods
Minimodder

Okay, maybe I didnt have to bring out the tape measure since its fairly easy to understand that a 4 x 120 radiator is pretty darn long for most cases. Well, the left over space on either end was going to be needed for "hidden" plumbing and the Aquaero 5 LT that is going to take control over the dual AquaComputer D5 pumps, 8 x Corsair performance fans and the many temp probes that Im planning on using.

This radiator fan grill serves as a major structure for the entire case so I felt that it needed to be 1/2" in thickness. In reality it's made up of two 1/4" pieces cemented together and though I wish I had easy access to a computer aided cutter for a more professional appearance (and one piece design) I like using my hands and Dremel tools whenever I get the chance. The fan holes cut into the acrylic are actually only semi-round, they were cut to flow with the similar design of the removable Corsair fan colored rings. Again, not perfect but pretty darned close. My polishing skills need a little work... =p

If you look close enough you will see the various brass threaded inserts that I got from McMaster Carr that will allow me to properly screw the various panels together.

I soldered the fans together so I only have to use one header for each bank of radiators.

And below you see the somewhat finished product of the intake side of the "cooling box".

Last edited by sntmods; 25th Jun 2014 at 06:50.
Old 25th Jun 2014, 15:47   #6
amagriva
Multimodder

amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.amagriva is definitely a rep cheat.
I can't see the pictures!
Am I the only one?
amagriva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2014, 15:51   #7
Impatience
Supermodder

Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.
Nope, not the only one.. Mind you, may just be the filter at my work! (on a break)
Impatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2014, 16:42   #8
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Looks good, but the reservoirs won't do you any good in this location, as all air in the loop will acumulate in the highest point of it.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2014, 07:23   #9
sntmods
Minimodder

I know what you are saying but that is not entirely true. I've run reservoirs at a low point before without any issues. Just wait and see. =)
Old 26th Jun 2014, 13:28   #10
Hanoverfist
Multimodder

Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.Hanoverfist is definitely a rep cheat.
My back hurts just thinking about trying to move that Beast..
Old 7th Jul 2014, 07:49   #11
sntmods
Minimodder

a little update since getting last week's shipment of goodies... though I had to order more due to changing plans (again).

Here you can see the back side of the motherboard tray. this is where all the business is.

In the lower left corner of the tray, this is where the journey starts. The tubing will serve as a sort of grill for the exhaust side fans.
Old 9th Jul 2014, 13:45   #12
Hanoverfist
Multimodder

Very nice! Really has a clean look.

View Mode