bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Jan 2013, 09:50   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel's Haswell chips tipped for June launch

Next-generation Core chips due at Computex?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...haswell-june/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 11:22   #2
b1candy
What's a Dremel?

b1candy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
quad-read Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) support? What's this?
b1candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 11:28   #3
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My thoughts to, but wiki article full of blurb http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_..._Interface_Bus

But looking at the advantages says about full duplex comms, low voltage less connections so could be could for performance, though wait and see
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 11:32   #4
b1candy
What's a Dremel?

b1candy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I looked at the wiki, but would actually like to know what it means in terms of affect on normal day-to-day usage, and how the new version is different to the old and what that means overall. All the other features mentioned in the article list have been studied to death on other sites, so I'm wondering why SPI was called out.
b1candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 12:15   #5
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
SPI is a low-power serial interface faster than I2C that's typically use in embedded systems. It's usually used to connect up sensors like accelerometers. Alongside the 10W parts, I'm guessing it's part of Intel's plan to make Core processors viable for use in tablets by supporting this interface on-chip.
Main: Silverstone FT03 | Asus P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz | CM 212+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon 7970 DD | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | CM Silent Pro Gold 600W | Samsung XL2270HD | KBT Race (brown switches) | Sidewinder X8 | Arch Linux + Windows 8.1
Server: Asus M3N78-AM | Athlon II X3 400e | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 4x 2TB Samsung F4EG (RAID-5) | LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 | Corsair CX400 | Arch Linux
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 12:39   #6
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1candy View Post
I looked at the wiki, but would actually like to know what it means in terms of affect on normal day-to-day usage, and how the new version is different to the old and what that means overall. All the other features mentioned in the article list have been studied to death on other sites, so I'm wondering why SPI was called out.
From my very little understanding its mainly a power saving feature, AFAIK its used instead of SMBus when reading things like information on RAM.
SPI is a upgraded version of SMBus in turn its a upgraded version of IC
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 16:28   #7
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1candy
It means what it says - the SPI controller is able to read 4 inputs simultaneously, thereby quadrupling the read speed (of things attached to SPI bus, such as system ROM). It means **** all for your everyday use.
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 18:58   #8
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ch424 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
SPI is a upgraded version of SMBus in turn its a upgraded version of IC
While you're correct that SMBus is derived from I2C, SPI is completely independent of both of them. It has very little in common: single master, separate read and write channels, arbitrary clock speed, no requirement for open-collector interface or pull-up resistors...

As already pointed out by r3loaded, this quad-SPI interface is most likely for low bandwidth peripherals like accelerometers, a touchscreen controller or a compass.
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 19:28   #9
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
I stand corrected
Though i was going on what info i got from the wiki.
Where it mentions "Higher throughput than IC or SMBus" so just assumed it was related.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 22:00   #10
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Shame it's been pushed back I was hoping to grab one of these when they come out. Time to jump off the AMD Bandwagon for the first time me thinks...
XFXScorpio911 PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz SLI GTX 480 1536MB ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T CORSAIR HYDRO H50 CORSAIR F60 WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit Musings On The Technical World Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 04:43   #11
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
The comments section for bit-tech articles really is dragging up the average for the rest of the internet isn't it? It's refreshing to come here after the usual rage/flame/troll responses on just about every other site. Just thought I'd mention it.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 11:33   #12
Si_the-dude
Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Is anyone thinking about upgrading from Sandybridge or even Ivy to Haswell?
Si_the-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2013, 23:31   #13
NetSphere
Multimodder

NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I guess the upgrade will depend on the improvement % from Ivy.

For now, I'll forget about Haswell until the reviews starts popping up everywhere. I've had enough of "wait for it, wait for it... wait for it... oops, another delay.... wait for it and here is another delay.. and then done!".
Silverstone TJ08E - Ivy Bridge 3570k @ 4.0 GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 - Asus Maximus Gene4 - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1.5V - 2GB ASUS GTX670 DIRECT CUII TOP - 256GB Samsung 830 Series - 850W Corsair HX850
NetSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 22:12   #14
OcSurfe
Uber Noob

OcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
not sure if ill upgrade happy with my 3770k,
but as always its all dependant on the price to performance increase
OcSurfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2013, 19:46   #15
adidan
CPC_refugee

adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looking forward to see how this gets on when it comes out, may finally 'convince' myself to move on from my trusty 1366 setup after bypassing sandy and ivy.

But then that would mean a shiny new GPU and monitor to make sure I get the most out of it, I mean it just would be rude not to.
250Gb Samsung 840 // 650W Be Quiet Dark Power Pro // Lian Li V351b Apache Filled // Samsung T220 22" // W7 64
adidan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpu, haswell, haswell new instructions, hni, intel core, intel haswell, intel hd, lga1150, lynx point, processor