bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Jan 2013, 10:49   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Canonical announces Ubuntu for Phones

Ubuntu for Android grows up.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...u-for-phones/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 12:04   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
That's pretty sweet. Wouldn't mind giving it a go at some point.

All we need now is Steam for ARM!
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 12:07   #3
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
More competition is never a bad thing, and I certainly like Ubuntu.

I'd buy a smartphone with Ubuntu right now instead of Android, iOS or WP8. Especially if it is able to run any software currently running on Ubuntu 12.04. It would finally do away with compatibility-issues alltogether.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 12:16   #4
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
More competition is never a bad thing, and I certainly like Ubuntu.

I'd buy a smartphone with Ubuntu right now instead of Android, iOS or WP8. Especially if it is able to run any software currently running on Ubuntu 12.04. It would finally do away with compatibility-issues alltogether.
I doubt it will be able to do that, as all those programs are designed for x86 computers.

However, when they release a tablet with it, it would be very cool to dock it to my main pc.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 12:25   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96 View Post
I doubt it will be able to do that, as all those programs are designed for x86 computers.
Most software available in the Ubuntu x86 repository is also available in the Ubuntu ARM repository: LibreOffice, Firefox, Chromium, The Gimp - these are all available when running Ubuntu (or Debian) on an ARM architecture processor. That's the beauty of the open-source world: nobody has to wait for a software company to decide it's worth porting a package, you can just compile it yourself - and then make the binaries available for those who aren't as technically-minded.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 12:57   #6
blacko
Multimodder

blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.
if its a true implementation and all i need to do is plug a mini HDMI cable and a wireless keyboard and mouse into my phone and it transforms into Ubuntu desktop then were do i sign up?

We are currently looking at bring your own devices to work and tbh perfectly honest this could fit the bill, especially if the company is offering you money to buy a device. It also means i wont have to lug around a laptop when im cycling into work.

and then theirs the whole gaming at work issue...
blacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 13:14   #7
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96 View Post

However, when they release a tablet with it, it would be very cool to dock it to my main pc.
It's atleast what Canonical has said it would be

Taken from the Ubuntu-website...

Quote:
Write apps for all Ubuntu devices

Ubuntu Software Centre has been a part of Ubuntu for years, and we’ll extend it to deliver phone apps too.

Already established as the most popular way to find new software on the Ubuntu desktop, it enables Ubuntu users to download and install applications in seconds. And here’s the really amazing thing. With the arrival of the Ubuntu SDK, apps can be written to work on all Ubuntu form-factors: it’s the same Ubuntu OS on the desktop and on the phone, so a single native application can work on both. Which means you re-use most of the app when you add support for a new form-factor.
As I do play less and less games, and only use my PC for multimedia and work, I could do totally without Windows these days, if it wouldn't be for Adobe CS :/

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!

Last edited by jrs77; 3rd Jan 2013 at 13:20.
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 15:05   #8
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Acer looking into alternatives to android for mobiles, then the rumours about Samsung finally bringing out some Tizen devices, the return of Blackberry, now Ubuntu, good to see the competition heating up.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 16:32   #9
AmEv
Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.
Just don't have any assembler in your code. That stuff is arch/platform specific.

Once source comes out, I may just put it on my Pre+ (1GHz OC, baby!)
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 19:48   #10
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Wow, what a complete waste of time
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 20:11   #11
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
how is it a waste of time?

At least this phone OS is opensource unlike android, and it's the first option that will allow you to dock your phone and use it as a low power computer so at enterprise level this is genius.

Most sales reps require a laptop and a smart phone because everyone else has a smart phone. So they carry around a 500 laptop and a 350-400 smart phone (usually an iphone) and expect upgrades when something new comes to market. This caused me to pull my hair out considering all they need is VPN access to open spreadsheets, or create the odd word doc.

So a ubuntu phone, rolls it all into one solution much like how motorola tried with the atrix and the laptop dock.

Also the ability to run proper applications or open any file format without having to tweak and root the device.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 21:18   #12
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I refer you to my previous statement as nothing here suggests anything other than a complete waste of time.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 21:26   #13
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
I refer you to my previous statement as nothing here suggests anything other than a complete waste of time.
please enjoy stroking your iphone , whilst the rest of the planet moves on....
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 21:28   #14
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Most software available in the Ubuntu x86 repository is also available in the Ubuntu ARM repository: LibreOffice, Firefox, Chromium, The Gimp - these are all available when running Ubuntu (or Debian) on an ARM architecture processor. That's the beauty of the open-source world: nobody has to wait for a software company to decide it's worth porting a package, you can just compile it yourself - and then make the binaries available for those who aren't as technically-minded.
Ahh thats quite cool, I didn't realise it was that easy
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 21:29   #15
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Quote:
Hands-on with Ubuntu's brand-new, gesture-based phone OS

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/2/382...ne-os-hands-on
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 21:38   #16
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Improved performance through native ARM code for applications (and by extension, improved battery life), compatibility of applications between phone and PC, and full-fledged docking capabilities.

All things Gareth has kindly laid out in the article. Burnout21 has also explained how those improved docking capabilities are highly beneficial for enterprise users.
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 22:02   #17
AmEv
Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Improved performance through native ARM code for applications (and by extension, improved battery life)
This. The defining feature about Android is also its drawback: the Davlik VM.

It uses a form of Java optimized for mobile devices. Thus, if you compile an Android app, it's guaranteed to work on any platform (tablet/phone/laptop, ARM/x86).
Alas, Java, like Flash, isn't fully-compiled code; one can (almost) easily decompile an APK/JAR.
(Conspiracy theory: This is why Flash on Android sucks: Interpretive compiler in an interpretive compiler = LAGGGG)

Now, native code: This is where iOS and Ubuphone rock. No Java lag, thus, no system lag.
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 22:58   #18
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Even if Ubuntu for smartphones should fail to take over the world, the increased competition should at least scare apple, google and microsoft into improving their mobile operating systems, so even if nothing should come out of ubuntu it could still serve a purpose.

Plus the blurring of the lines between phones / tablets / laptops / desktops is inevitable, its not a question of if, but when.
Look at what is happening in the hardware world:
Galaxy Note: crossover from phone and tablet.
Lenovo Yoga and similar: Cross over between tablet and laptop.
iMac and other all in one desktops:cross over between laptop and desktop (lets face it, they are just laptops with no hinges for the screen).

But with software we still have the old segregation, why would that not change and why could Ubuntu not be one (of hopefully moire to come) operating systems to do end that segregation?
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 01:02   #19
Tichinde
Supermodder

Tichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming SaiyanTichinde is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'd love Ubuntu on my tablet (an old Hansspad)

But that's likely down to the ICS build I have being a tad flakey
Tichinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 08:37   #20
Shielder
Live long & prosper!

Shielder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If it gets rid of the stupid Android "Insufficient storage available" error, then I'm all for it!

I do find it strange that all of the IT review sites rave about the latest Android phones, but no-one has investigated Google's stupidity in having a 400MB system partition where most of the apps are stored (or data for the apps anyway), so, despite my Galaxy Note having 11GB of space free, I get this stupid error!

I've had to delete nearly 20 apps, just so that I can update my more frequently used apps.

C'mon Bit-tech, do an investigation!

Andy

Tags
android, apple, canonical, google, ios, jim held, linux, mark shuttleworth, microsoft, smartphone, smartphones, ubuntu, ubuntu for android, windows phone