bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Jan 2013, 11:21   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel to launch sub-10W Ivy Bridge Y chips at CES

Ultra-low power chips heading to tablets.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ivy-bridge-y/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 11:41   #2
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, you didn't expect to buy BGA soldered chips from Scan did you?

I'm guessing that these Y series will crop up in the Surface Pro?
Main: Silverstone FT03 | Asus P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz | CM 212+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon 7970 DD | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | CM Silent Pro Gold 600W | Samsung XL2270HD | KBT Race (brown switches) | Sidewinder X8 | Arch Linux + Windows 8.1
Server: Asus M3N78-AM | Athlon II X3 400e | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 4x 2TB Samsung F4EG (RAID-5) | LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 | Corsair CX400 | Arch Linux
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 12:07   #3
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
its likely that they are headed for the surface pro yep, although given that haswell is around the corner I'd say don't buy a surface pro and wait for the surface pro 2 or whatever they'll end up calling it.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 13:04   #4
Stelph
Multimodder

Stelph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This news has certainly made me re-think buying a Clover Trail tablet if the release of these chips is so close! At the very least it should cause a dip in the price of the one im most interested in (Acer W510)

I do wonder however if there will be any performance benefit from these new chips or if it is simply power saving only, considering the W510 is capable of 8 hours (plus 8 hours more from the keyboard dock battery) these new chips will certainly be impressive

Why cant smartphones have similar leaps in battery life?
Stelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 13:30   #5
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
even if intel could flick a switch and get tdp to 1 watt, still doesnt do all that much for battery life when you still have to power the screen. If intel spent their next 10bn on battery tech instead, you'd get a better result, but then that would dilute their manufacturing advantage...
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 14:01   #6
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Seeing the current i3-3217UE sitting at 17W, someone has to ask what they cut down to lower the power by almost half.

Maybe reducing clockspeed to 1-1.2 GHz and cutting down the iGPU aswell.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 19:00   #7
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelazazel1024 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Likely reduced clock speeds of GPU and CPU combined with probably cherry picking the chips further than what is done for the ULV parts and then running at even lower voltages.

It might even involve going so far as changing the actual transistors on the chip to be extremely low leakage transistors.

Currently ULV Ivy Bridge chips seem to run roughly 4w per core loaded, so just the CPU end of things already is sub 10W TDP, though that doesn't include GPU or the other on die stuff (which when maxed out can push things to roughly 20w...which means TDP is exceeded, which results in the GPU being throttled a bit, to roughly 900Mhz to get back under the 17w TDP after a minute or so of turbo speeds exceeding TDP).

I'd would imagine that we are going to be looking at chips running in the 1-1.5Ghz range maybe with turbos that could boost them to 1.4-2Ghz range and probably a GPU running around 250Mhz base clock with maybe turbos in the 500-800Mhz range.

A fair amount slower than ULV Ivy even, but whicked faster than Cortex A15 or Atom (probably roughly 2-3x faster still than a quad core A15 for a dual core 1.5Ghz Ivy Bridge processor).
Old 4th Jan 2013, 22:51   #8
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Yeah, this should eat atom for breakfast, although it does make it kind of questionable why intel even bothers with atom any more if they can scale the desktop cpus down to sub 10w.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2013, 23:32   #9
Hanoken
O.O

Hanoken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Last Vegas later this..."

um... you mean Las Vegas...?
Old 4th Jan 2013, 23:44   #10
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
With Arm chips below 4watts its still way too much for tablet or smartphone consumption which i guess is the idea.

Does not matter if it performs 10 times faster ( which it wont ) if it dies in 10mins flat.

a 10 watt apple ipad would last about 4hrs in full usage for reference.

Also something wierd is going on with intel chips and battery usage. As the samsung ativ thing with clevo chip lasts nearly 10hrs + without dock. The surface using the same chip scrapes in around 8hrs. so its not all intels fault. ( samsung ativ has a smaller battery than the surface does)
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2013, 02:57   #11
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think ARM's head is about to roll. Intel seems to have the power/performance advantage going forward.
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2013, 09:09   #12
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield
Yeah, this should eat atom for breakfast, although it does make it kind of questionable why intel even bothers with atom any more if they can scale the desktop cpus down to sub 10w.
I'd agree - it hardly seems worth the bother that Intel will finally re-architect Atom into a proper OoO processor and put it on the current process node starting next year (Atom traditionally has been turned out in the older fabs that are a node behind the fabs used for the current generation - Ivy's on 22, Atom's on 32.)

If they can get IB down to 10, how low can Haswell go? Have to wonder, too, if maybe they'll just keep the Atom branding even if the arch inside is Haswell. Lucky for Intel that Atom doesn't have the lackluster reputation amongst the general public that it seems to with tech enthusiasts, and so the name won't hurt it.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2013, 10:47   #13
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtatic View Post
If they can get IB down to 10, how low can Haswell go? Have to wonder, too, if maybe they'll just keep the Atom branding even if the arch inside is Haswell. Lucky for Intel that Atom doesn't have the lackluster reputation amongst the general public that it seems to with tech enthusiasts, and so the name won't hurt it.
While all Atom chips so far are essentially modernised derivatives of the Pentium 3 with PowerVR GPUs, future Intel Atom chips should be roughly based off the current-generation Core architecture of their time (e.g. Silvermont will share a lot with Haswell) and will use Intel's GPU IP. I think they're intending for Atom to be used in phones and mainstream tablets that require sub-4W TDP, with Core going in the high-end tablet/ultrabook market.

Apparently the arrival of the 14nm Broadwell architecture should bring low-power Core chips that are completely fanless. I can't wait to see what a fanless Surface Pro or MacBook Air looks like!
Main: Silverstone FT03 | Asus P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz | CM 212+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon 7970 DD | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | CM Silent Pro Gold 600W | Samsung XL2270HD | KBT Race (brown switches) | Sidewinder X8 | Arch Linux + Windows 8.1
Server: Asus M3N78-AM | Athlon II X3 400e | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 4x 2TB Samsung F4EG (RAID-5) | LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 | Corsair CX400 | Arch Linux
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10w, arm, atom, ces 2013, core, intel, intel core, ivy bridge, ivy bridge y, processor, tablet, tdp, windows 8