bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:29   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
USB 3.0 to get 10Gb/s transfer rate

Matches Thunderbolt bitrate-for-bitrate.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...7/usb3-10gig/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:34   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I hope they call it 3.1 rather than sticking with 3.0 and making us read the small print constantly and explain to friends and relatives why their new drive/PC isn't as quick as they were expecting...
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:41   #3
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Erm..... well given the time it will take 3.1 to actually appear on host devices (MBs) and consumer devices, I think its a mute point.
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:46   #4
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Take that stupid proprietary standards.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 13:14   #5
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Worst. Industry. Ever.
Old 7th Jan 2013, 13:59   #6
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Isn't 5Gbps fast enough?

I mean.. that theoretically an entire 1Tb disk in under three and a half minutes...
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 14:07   #7
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Gigabits != GigaBytes.

1 Gigabit = 128 MegaBytes.

Meaning 10 Gb/s = 1.280 MB/s

Assuming you meant a 1TByte disk, that means copying everything over, theoretically, if you're always at peak speed, will take 13 minutes 40 seconds. Also assuming the data actually occupies 1TB.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 14:30   #8
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Maybe Apple have learnt from there mistakes with Firewire and Thunderbolt will be a success, But personally i will be steering clear of TB due to its association with Apple and there past history with propriety hardware.
So its good to hear of a faster USB even though i only use it for simple things like keyboard/mouse
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 14:44   #9
[-Stash-]
Multimodder

[-Stash-] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Should be called USB4, just keep things simple.

Other than that, good news!
[-Stash-] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 15:20   #10
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Maybe Apple have learnt from there mistakes with Firewire and Thunderbolt will be a success, But personally i will be steering clear of TB due to its association with Apple and there past history with propriety hardware.
So its good to hear of a faster USB even though i only use it for simple things like keyboard/mouse
Technically thunderbolt isn't apple, intel were the inventors or whatever you want to call it, apple just heavily invested in its development. It has appeared on some motherboards recently.

People don't use thunderbolt because it far too expensive, and standard hdds cant reach the speeds anyway.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 16:26   #11
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
@fdbh96, yes but Intel signed a exclusive deal with Apple for one year (coming to a close soon)

Apple has always tried to get as much mark up as possible from hardware, a 2M TB cable costing 30, a 2TB HDD costing 290 and the equivalent USB 2TB 90.
By closing TB off for a year (maybe more) it enabled USB3 to get a foot hold in the market and in the end its about what connection your device comes with and whats cheapest.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 16:57   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
@fdbh96, yes but Intel signed a exclusive deal with Apple for one year (coming to a close soon)
The exclusivity deal is already over: you can pick up Thunderbolt-equipped motherboards right now, if you're willing to part with the cash.
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 17:17   #13
ArthurB
Minimodder

ArthurB has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What's the new 100w USB 3.0 standard going to be called? Are we going to have two different USB 3.0 standards: 100w 5Gb/s USB 3.0 and 900mA 10Gb/s USB 3.0?

I wish they would get their act together!
ArthurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 18:33   #14
atomo
What's a Dremel?

atomo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good for USB, but Thunderbolt is still faster. Not only is Thunderbolt 10Gb/s but it's also bi-directional, which means 10Gb/s in BOTH directions.
atomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 18:53   #15
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
This is a bit strange. Surely Intel has a massive investment in USB3 too? I wonder if this is anything to do with simplifying everything. Intel published an idea for a common PHY (PDF warning) which means that you might as well have all the interfaces running at the same signalling rate.

I wish USB would disappear though; it's such a hassle to develop for compared to Firewire and Thunderbolt/PCIe.
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 19:05   #16
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomo
Good for USB, but Thunderbolt is still faster. Not only is Thunderbolt 10Gb/s but it's also bi-directional, which means 10Gb/s in BOTH directions.
Isn't USB 3 full duplex now?
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 19:32   #17
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
Keep in mind it NEVER NEVER NEVER will reach true 10Gb/s, is always less, probably around 7Gb/s. It should be called USB 4.0. Or go directly to true USB 4.0 instead. Thunderbolt will be expensive until 2015~2016, plus we don't ever see much devices using that any time soon.
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 19:36   #18
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'll take the power consumtion improvments, but for a port that I'm just as likely to plug a keyboard into.... who cares?
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 20:04   #19
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
Gigabits != GigaBytes.

1 Gigabit = 128 MegaBytes.

Meaning 10 Gb/s = 1.280 MB/s
I assume you meant 10Gb/s = 1.280 GB/s
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 20:32   #20
alialias
Modder

alialias has yet to learn the way of the Dremelalialias has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Am I right in thinking this 'superspeed' name is what will denote that it's 10Gb/s?
If so, products like this are already muddying the waters by being advertised as 'superspeed usb 3.0':
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-s...b-30-20-pc-mac
alialias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10gb/s, apple, hp, intel, microsoft, superspeed, thunderbolt, usb, usb 3.0, usb promoter group