bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jan 2013, 10:26   #1
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The SSD Catchup

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-ssd-catchup/1

We take a look at four of the latest SSDs, and their new drive controllers.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 10:38   #2
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice to see the newer models here, but I'd like to see the force3 series included please....
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 10:43   #3
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc
Nice to see the newer models here, but I'd like to see the force3 series included please....
Its a Sandforce 2281 controller - simply use the Vertex 3 results.

Same applies for Kingston HyperX, and the large number of sandforce partner drives. They all run the same, Sandforce supplied firmware.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 10:44   #4
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
More catch-up posts on more devices more frequently, please!
I oft come to Bit when I'm deciding what hardware to buy, but it can get difficult to figure out what's good or not comparatively to other bits of hardware previously released.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 10:58   #5
Baz
I work for Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
More catch-up posts on more devices more frequently, please!
I oft come to Bit when I'm deciding what hardware to buy, but it can get difficult to figure out what's good or not comparatively to other bits of hardware previously released.
Will do! Due to time constraints, we weren't able to look at these drivers on their individual launches; hopefully bundling them all together will allow for easier comparisons.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:00   #6
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
nice to see `regular` use going over sata 2 speeds (4k 16QD and above) - been a few years though

if I was to make a request - It would be to compare the Plextor M5 PRO with the new marvell 9187 controller ; as IMO its of `this` generation rather than the 830/vertex3/crucial M4 ones.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:05   #7
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Great roundup, thanks guys! Not sure which one I'd go for out of that lot, the limited write-life of the 840 non-Pro does give me pause though, as I tend to keep my drives forever.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:24   #8
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Glad to see my M4 isn't antiquated yet.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:30   #9
phinix
Say it! Who's your dremel?!

phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
Great roundup, thanks guys! Not sure which one I'd go for out of that lot, the limited write-life of the 840 non-Pro does give me pause though, as I tend to keep my drives forever.
So PRO version look like better options then. On the other hand I wonder how long would they survive in ours home-users environments..
star citizen :::
ARBITER: Origin Jumpworks 325A LTI
phinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 11:32   #10
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Thanks very much for this... Much appreciated.

I did notice an error, on the graphs the 840 250GB is referred to as 840 256GB.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 12:02   #11
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
where is intels drivers and there custom sandforce drivers would be nice to see how they perform vs the others.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 12:12   #12
Baz
I work for Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
Glad to see my M4 isn't antiquated yet.
Far from it. it's aged remarkably well considering its been on sale so long. Crucial and Micron clearly know what it's doing, and don't look to be in any hurry to replace it. I think a TLC version will be on the cards though.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 13:21   #13
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow the 840 Pro and the Vector are incredibly close. Even in terms of price, there's only 3 quid between them!
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 14:17   #14
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cache-ing SSDs ...have BT looked at them ...are you gonna look at them?

Any opinions?

Cordless Mouseman optical ...deceased
XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro ...retired 26.10.2014
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 15:00   #15
Baz
I work for Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbob69
Cache-ing SSDs ...have BT looked at them ...are you gonna look at them?

Any opinions?
2 years ago, they'd have been worth it, but now cost per GB has come down so much, what's the point? 256GB SSDs are less than £150. Hybrid HDDs typically just end up caching Windows files, so you dont get the benefit of game loads etc, just fast boot times.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 15:02   #16
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
the Samsung 840 (non Pro) doesn't really distance itself from the 830 does it?
At least at the 128GB level there's the price difference to consider.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 15:45   #17
warriorpoet
What's a Dremel?

warriorpoet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc View Post
The Force 3 is comparable to OCZ's Agility 3, and not in the same tier as the reviewed drives. Corsair Force GT/GS performance is in the same class as the Neutron GTX with markedly different strengths/ weaknesses, but are an inferior price/ performance/ reliability proposition at this point.

If you want to compare SSDs, anandtech provides a useful tool here.

For more interesting SSD reading, see here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op

According to the latest TechReport podcast, Samsung is correcting dirty drive performance issues in the next firmware revision. It's apparently due to a new TRIM/ garbage collection algorithm that doesn't function as expected.
warriorpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 22:59   #18
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
I'll never buy an OCZ SSD ever again, even if they can make it back to acceptable levels of QA.

Cheap can never make up for appalling quality and the time lost trying to get it to work, returning the defective product, purchasing the brand you should have the first time, and installing the replacement. Why bother when OCZ is little cheaper than the alternatives?
Old 9th Jan 2013, 00:27   #19
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
@Adnoctum, never had a problem with my Vertex and always found they reply very quickly to problems on there forums. Always seem ok with issuing RMA if they think it maybe the drive.
I guess its like any company some people will always have bad experiences like i had once with Seagate.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 00:56   #20
KithKhan
A dremel is all you need.

KithKhan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Adnoctum; I've had at least two of each OCZ ssd in a RAID0 array. Updating firmware was a pain with older models, but I've never had a problem with them besides that.

I know positive anecdotes don't prove anything, but I'm not sure there's any substantial basis to the perception that OCZ has a quality issue either.
KithKhan is offline   Reply With Quote