bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jan 2013, 12:48   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
AMD unveils new APUs, SoCs and Radeon HD 8000 Series

Sadly, it's mostly limited to OEM customers.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...amd-ces-2013/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 12:53   #2
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
We should make clear, the 8-series parts are just 7-series re-brands, so 7970 owners, do not fret! This also means we wont be publishing any reviews of these parts.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 13:06   #3
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
We should make clear, the 8-series parts are just 7-series re-brands, so 7970 owners, do not fret! This also means we wont be publishing any reviews of these parts.
I can see why they sometimes rebrand old parts that fit well (usually at a lower price) into a new series, but why launch an entire line of rebranded parts?

Doesn't make any sense.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I - 8GB 1866 - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80 - 450W SFX

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 13:08   #4
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
ooo could these be going into the Xi3 piston platform for the steam console?
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 13:17   #5
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Wow... that's... lame... I didn't even like rebrands in the mainstream, but now they are doing it at the top of their line?
They should just keep the HD7970 name, I don't mind seeing the same name for 2 years...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 14:24   #6
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Anyone else think that the video for Win8 Gesture Control makes it look sluggish and retarded?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 14:31   #7
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
if bit-tech can include black mesa, a rebranded old HL1 game , on the game the the yrs list, then what amd is doing is just dandy also.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 14:34   #8
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Anyone else think that the video for Win8 Gesture Control makes it look sluggish and retarded?

Soooo sluggish.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I - 8GB 1866 - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80 - 450W SFX

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 14:43   #9
Gravebond
What's a Dremel?

Gravebond has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really want AMD to focus on the development of their APU chips and am glad to hear the news regarding this. I recently built a system for my gf costing 350 that included the A10 5800k , 2133mhz Ram x8gb on a Mini-itx MSI motherboard. At 720p she can play much of the steam catalogue at high settings and i am really really impressed. Due to the size and low power requirements i was able to use a tiny case. If they continue in this direction (which i hope they do) i think AMD should partner with a company like Asus to make specially featured ITX or smaller mobo's. It seems to me that the size of enthusiast PC's are still the same size as they have been for decades, but if more focus is put on changing this then some really desireable systems/ tech could come to light
Gravebond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 15:26   #10
Jedra
Supermodel

Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
ooo could these be going into the Xi3 piston platform for the steam console?
In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere (can't find it). Here are a couple of links relating to the valve announcement...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20949071

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...185945182.html

ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel Core i7 930 - Thermaltake FRIO - 12GB Corsair (6x2G CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) - Corsair AX1200 - 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD5970 OC - 256Gb Crucial SSD - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Silverstone Fortress FT02R-W
Steam Profile ---------- XBL:Jedra ---------- PSN:Jedra ---------- BF3:Jedra7609 & Jedra
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 15:48   #11
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedra View Post
In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere (can't find it). Here are a couple of links relating to the valve announcement...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20949071

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...185945182.html
We've not mentioned it because Valve and Xi3 haven't confirmed anything.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 15:56   #12
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hmm... The A10-6800k is still on the 28nm process and still a t the 100W TDP. Seems like intel will be ahead of AMD for quiet a while to come.

I couldn't care less about the GPUs aswell, so I'm sticking with the mid-level intel + nVidia for the next two years to come I guess, but I don't think I need to upgrade within the next two years anyways.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 16:27   #13
Marvin-HHGTTG
Marvin. I don't care what ^ says...

Marvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
To be fair it's only an OEM rebrand, consumer products will still be 7xxx series. Basically as product refreshes get less common (longer development cycles from everyone), system builders have nothing new to sell, so request new-sounding parts to justify refreshes or re-releases.

This has been the case in all camps for a while now, though Intel's refresh cycle is currently fast enough for this not to be an issue.
Marvin-HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 17:24   #14
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So since the 8000 series will be for OEMs and will just be rebranded 7000s, I wonder if that means they'll just skip to 9000s for their actual new GPUs or make up some new numbers in the 8000 range just to confuse the crap out of people more.

Any news on new GPUs?
Old 8th Jan 2013, 23:38   #15
VaLkyR-Assassin
Multimodder

VaLkyR-Assassin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How disappointing. I thought there would be 'brand new' releases for retail :/
VaLkyR-Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 23:41   #16
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Hmm... The A10-6800k is still on the 28nm process and still a t the 100W TDP. Seems like intel will be ahead of AMD for quiet a while to come.
The current generation of APUs (Trinity) is produced using a 32 nm process, so Richland will be quite an upgrade, considering they will retain the 100W TDP after shrinking to 28nm. The CPU cores will use less power and/or will probably run at a higher frequency, and the GPU is GCN-based, as opposed to VLIW4 in Trinity.
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 23:59   #17
fix-the-spade
Ultramodder

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well, if they're going to hawk re-names, I'll just stand there and tell people the AMD 8800 cards are licence built versions of Nvidia 8800s from 2006.
Someone will believe it...
fix-the-spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 00:34   #18
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
The first of these chips to launch will be the AMD A10-6800K, and while firm figures are not yet available preliminary figures point to the chip boasting a quad-core design based on a 28nm process with. . .
"Richland" is 32nm. The follow-on "Kaveri" will be 28nm.

Proof 1 - See in the following image from the presentation, "Richland" is shown as being 32nm, the same as "Trinity".
Proof 2 - AMD says that "Richland" is "currently shipping to OEMs", which means that it has been in production for quite a few months for the wafer to be started and baked, the die packaged, and the finished APU sent to OEMs. It isn't being made at TSMC and GloFo 28nm isn't ready for production. Therefore, logically, it is 32nm.

If "Richland" is A10-6800K, then it is 32nm. If it isn't, then A10-6800K isn't "Richland".
Everyone saying 28nm has been referencing Fudzilla. He seems to be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
The current generation of APUs (Trinity) is produced using a 32 nm process, so Richland will be quite an upgrade, considering they will retain the 100W TDP after shrinking to 28nm. The CPU cores will use less power and/or will probably run at a higher frequency, and the GPU is GCN-based, as opposed to VLIW4 in Trinity.
If "Richland" is 32nm (see above) and shipping now, it means Piledriver cores and VLIW4 graphics. It is just Piledriver with enhancements.
No Steamroller and no GCN. More Fudzilla-branded FUD.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 9th Jan 2013 at 01:17. Reason: Merged double-post.
Adnoctum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 00:53   #19
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum View Post
"Richland" is 32nm. The follow-on "Kaveri" will be 28nm. [...] If "Richland" is A10-6800K, then it is 32nm. If it isn't, then A10-6800K isn't "Richland".
You're quite right - I was going from the CPU-World entry linked in the article, which claims 28nm - but your evidence clearly points to a 32nm part. I'll correct the article - thanks for the heads-up!
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 01:45   #20
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
You're quite right - I was going from the CPU-World entry linked in the article, which claims 28nm - but your evidence clearly points to a 32nm part. I'll correct the article - thanks for the heads-up!
. . .which got their information from (I think you can guess!) Fudzilla.

Who is also claiming GCN for the core. I'd be really careful with claiming that, because "Richland" is looking like a refined "Trinity" rather than a new core, with the claimed performance increase possibly due to a larger/higher clocked GPU rather than a new GPU.
I would be very surprised at GCN showing up so soon.

EDIT: A bit of hunting and I found the 2013 Client Roadmap (PDF) on the AMD website.
"Richland" is 32nm with 2-4 Piledriver cores and "2nd Generation DX11 GPU", which is as far as I can count is VLIW4 (VLIW5 being the 1st and GCN being the 3rd). Three versions: desktop, notebook (35w) and Low Voltage (17-25w).
This close to release, if it was GCN it would say GCN, as it does for the 28nm Kaveri, Kabini and Temash APUs.

Last edited by Adnoctum; 9th Jan 2013 at 02:27. Reason: Extra info
Adnoctum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
28nm, a10-6800k, amd, apu, ces 2013, hsa, kabini, kaveri, radeon hd 8000, richland, soc, system on chip, temash, trinity