bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Jan 2013, 09:57   #1
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Xigmatek Midgard II Review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...rd-ii-review/1

A £50 case with all the features of a much more expensive chassis.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 11:39   #2
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Would you say it's possible to mount a 45-50mm thick rad in the roofspace and mount exhausting fans underneath? Depending on the layout of your motherboard, it looks possible from the pics.

I do like this case - there's a lot on offer for the money.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 11:49   #3
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
By the looks of the mounting screw points for the MB I would doubt it as they seem to be as far to the edge as they can go. I'll wait for BT to confirm though... :-)
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 11:53   #4
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Would you say it's possible to mount a 45-50mm thick rad in the roofspace and mount exhausting fans underneath? Depending on the layout of your motherboard, it looks possible from the pics.

I'm not in the labs today so I can't answer definitely, but I'd say almost certainly not. There really didn't look to be enough space for anything beneath the recessed roof section, it appears to be designed so that everything sits on top of it. But if I remember then I'll confirm tomorrow
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 12:05   #5
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If not Dogbert666, would it be possible to contact/request for a larger roof space unit instead to accommodate water cooling rads? Maybe even as a separate purchase although this would increase the overall cost and therefore affect the overall value.
Old 9th Jan 2013, 12:06   #6
Spreadie

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert666 View Post
I'm not in the labs today so I can't answer definitely, but I'd say almost certainly not. There really didn't look to be enough space for anything beneath the recessed roof section, it appears to be designed so that everything sits on top of it. But if I remember then I'll confirm tomorrow
Thanks, Dogbert.

I'm thinking that 120mm fans might fit, albeit overhanging the motherboard, I've done this before, in a different case. A lot depends on clearance for VRM sinks, the EPS 12v connector and possibly ram slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
If not Dogbert666, would it be possible to contact/request for a larger roof space unit instead to accommodate water cooling rads? Maybe even as a separate purchase although this would increase the overall cost and therefore affect the overall value.
It looks like it would be easy enough to mod it, by removing the mesh and making a raised area from other mesh.

Last edited by Spreadie; 9th Jan 2013 at 15:28. Reason: sh!tty grammar
Old 9th Jan 2013, 12:17   #7
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

@Spreadie: Fare enough if you have to tools and the know how. I don't though. :-(
Old 9th Jan 2013, 12:29   #8
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
@Spreadie: Fare enough if you have to tools and the know how. I don't though. :-(
Nor does Spreadie really, he's just trying to look cool
Old 9th Jan 2013, 12:37   #9
Spreadie

Damn you, Shirty, damn you! I will have my revenge!

Quote:
A pair of tin snips, some hot glue, with a bit of time and effort and you could make a decent job of it. It isn't that difficult. Shirty is just projecting his own ineptitude onto others.

Last edited by Spreadie; 9th Jan 2013 at 12:46.
Old 9th Jan 2013, 14:38   #10
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Touché

Nice case for the money by the way, but I'm still happy with my sleepy little P182
Old 9th Jan 2013, 17:39   #11
mdshann
Modder

mdshann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's plenty of room for a radiator even with standard philips screws. Use a slim 30mm radiator along with Scythe's 12mm fans and you have 8mm clearance left over!

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/ac...12_detail.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15...?tl=g30c95s160
mdshann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 18:55   #12
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

This brings up an interesting idea... How would 2 of those 12mm fans (doubled up) do compared to a single 25mm fan? Would they cause wind turbulence and would that have a negative effect?
Old 9th Jan 2013, 18:56   #13
Spreadie

Those Slipstream fans have zero static pressure and poor airflow = absolutely useless for a radiator, unfortunately.

Old 9th Jan 2013, 19:59   #14
OcSurfe
Uber Noob

OcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
i quite like the case,
looks very shinobi-esqe
OcSurfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 10:12   #15
SinxarKnights
Multimodder

SinxarKnights has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Haha! I thought that was an 8 track sticking out of the top on the first page!
SinxarKnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 12:08   #16
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

As suspected, with a motherboard mounted there is *very* little room beneath that roof mount for anything to fit - even the ends of the RAM slots were in the way when I tried to put a normal sized fan in, and the Northbridge heatsink was nearly touching the edge. I doubt you'll find many if any boards where you'd be able to fit anything more than one of those half size fans someone mentioned, but as was also said their lack of static pressure/airflow will make them poor choices for rad cooling.
Old 10th Jan 2013, 12:44   #17
Spreadie

Thanks for taking the time to go back and check it out, Dogbert. It is appreciated.

Old 10th Jan 2013, 12:56   #18
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Rep for going the extra mile Matthew
Old 10th Jan 2013, 13:02   #19
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to go back and check it out, Dogbert. It is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
Rep for going the extra mile Matthew
No worries, cheers guys
Old 17th Jan 2013, 12:45   #20
MrJim
What's a Dremel?

MrJim has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great review, definitely a case to look when I get around to my next build.

On a side-note it's interesting the BT found the air cooling of the Corsair 200R to be so poor. I've just been reading a review of the 200R over at HardOCP, who found the air cooling to be excellent compared to other budget cases. Obviously there will be methodological differences between websites as to how they test air cooling, but it seems odd that their conclusions can vary so wildly?
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote