bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jan 2013, 12:35   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Samsung announces eight-core Exynos 5 Octa SoC

Prepare for dual-processor, eight-core smartphones.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...xynos-5-octa/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 13:03   #2
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Seriously why do you need 8 cores on your phone?
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 14:15   #3
Platinum
Multimodder

Platinum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oddly enough I think Nvidia have it right here, why does anyone need 4 low power cores to check emails and Facebook?
Save the die area and make the high power chip better.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 15:14   #4
Lenderz
Supermodder

Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Hurry up and go to sleep.
Lenderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 15:50   #5
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
You probably don't... a tablet on the other hand...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 16:32   #6
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Same question is easily applied to tablets.

Very few of them have any usage for that proccessing power.

The screens require GPU grunt not cpu cores.

Also seems like Samsung intends to drop the tegra platform which is a bit of a shock. but not a huge surprise in the long term as they can develop there own chip to keep pace with the competition and not need to be at the mercy of nvidia and company.

Can not see samsung developing this chip then not using it so i guess Nvidia just lost a huge contract for chips. Tegra 4 looks like been left to fight for the lesser rivals who don't sell enough and are all struggling to stay in business.

Also a big loss for qualcomm who have developed there next gen chip. ( samsung used both qualcomm and nvidia chips in last gen phones )

Samsung and Apple together are showing the power of dominating the profits for so long they have both effectively removed the need for outsourcing there cpu designs. Which will give them another advantage above the competition.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 16:39   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Also a big loss for qualcomm who have developed there next gen chip. ( samsung used both qualcomm and nvidia chips in last gen phones )
The majority of Samsung devices use previous generations of Samsung Exynos SoC processors, not Nvidia Tegra or Qualcomm Snapdragon. Wikipedia has a list, although some phones used third-party processors - including Tegra and Snapdragon - in certain countries but Exynos in others. Go figure.

For those arguing that a smartphone doesn't need eight cores: did you see the bit of the article where Samsung claimed the Exynos 5 Octo offers 70 per cent better energy efficiency than the quad-core Exynos 4?
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 16:50   #8
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that better efficiency is what I'm after for... my S3 is great but sometimes the battery gets drained before the endof the day... I wouldn't mind selling this phone to get the S4 if it has those specs...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 16:52   #9
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Funny thing is, that allmost no tablet or smartphone has any multi-thread capabilities, let alone having multiple apps running simultanously.

So imho it would be far better to concentrate on single-core performance and increase GPU-performance along with it.

More =! better in some cases.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 18:00   #10
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Funny thing is, that allmost no tablet or smartphone has any multi-thread capabilities, let alone having multiple apps running simultanously.

So imho it would be far better to concentrate on single-core performance and increase GPU-performance along with it.

More =! better in some cases.
If you read the article it says that there would be a 70% increase in efficiency. Sure, more cores doesn't always mean better performance, but a single core isn't enough, as it would have to take care of all background tasks and the more prominent ones like gaming.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 19:14   #11
G0UDG
helping others costs nothing

G0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming SaiyanG0UDG is a Super Spamming Saiyan
These companies need to focus on the phones performance as a phone ie:reciever sensititivity how it handles signals and holds onto the signal from a mast and also transmit and recieve audio. All we seems to get in reviews of phones theese days is how it handles games and how good the camera is its a phone for god sake lets here how it performs in its main role if I get lost in the middle of nowhere amd my car stalls I need to know i can relie on my phone to get me out of trouble no good it being able to play games at fast fps if it cant hold onto the signal from a mast.
Hard to explain to someone who has no clue. Or doesn't believe you. It's a daily struggle being in pain or feeling sick on the inside while you look fine on the outside. Please put this as your signature for at least 1 hour if you or someone you know has an invisible illness (Pancreatitis, Crohn's, PTSD, Anxiety, Bipolar, Depression, Diabetes, LUPUS, Fibromyalgia, MS,Lupus, ME, Arthritis, Cancer, Heart Disease, Epilepsy, Autism,M.D. Evan Syndrome etc.) " Never judge what you don't understand.
G0UDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 19:32   #12
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
The same reason my amp goes to 11, so I can lord it over everyone else who's amp only goes to 10
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 23:17   #13
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd be better if Samsung had developed better batteries instead, but I'll take it.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 00:23   #14
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Except that devices with multi window support happen to be from Samsung.

Besides, calling it an 8 core cpu is very misleading, just like we abandoned the concept of single core processors we will abandon the current approach to multiple cores, what Samsung is doing is creating 4 cores of one type and 4 of another, its the next big revolution in cpu design, have different cores so you can run each thread on the type of cpu ideally suited for it, in theory at least, because software will need to catch up.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 00:43   #15
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
+1 from me - currently mobile OS's are not making the most of multicore processing.

Quote:
So imho it would be far better to concentrate on single-core performance and increase GPU-performance along with it
I'd counter that by saying that multicore is the future, it is, in fact the OS and software that needs to become multithread and core affinity friendly (use different cores for different apps intelligently and use all cores for one app when the demand requires it.... google/linux it's over to you, but if Microsoft do it first and do it right, they could win market share quite easily.
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 11:31   #16
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Geeks buy PC's and tend to make rational judgements about CPU performance.

EVERYBODY buys phones and if one trumps the other with 'MOAR CORES!' a lot will buy just for that.
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:00   #17
Jaybles
Hypermodder

Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
For those of you who are saying why do you need that in a phone or tablet I agree completely.

However, I will direct you to the Google Chromebook which uses the old Samsung Exynos processor. Arm is actually making a little (read minute) headway in the notebook market. I am considering buying one and putting Arch on it because it outperforms an Atom extremely cheaply.
i7 950 @ 3.8 1.192v|Noctua NH-U12P SE2|Asus P6X58D-E|12 GB DDR3 1600|1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3|Samsung 830 64GB|XFX Double D R7950|Asus Xonar DG|Antec Quattro 850w|Bitfenix Colossus|Dell U2311H|Dell E173FP
Steam|PSN:nythraln
Jaybles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 20:05   #18
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
It only uses 4 of the cores at once. There are 4 really fast but less efficient cores, and 4 slower but *much* more efficient cores. Most of the time, the 4 fast cores are completely switched off, and everything runs on the slow cores. Then, when the OS notices that the slow cores are struggling to keep up, it moves the program to the faster cores in less than 20us. It's explained in the Samsung CES video, and there's a demo from 24:10 onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDJ67df0p6A#t=23m10
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm, armv7, big.little, cortex-a15, cortex-a7, exynos, exynos 5, exynos 5 octa, processor, samsung, smartphone, soc, system on chip, tablet