bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 10th Jan 2013, 22:06   #1
yogev_ezra
Green Gadgets Ltd

yogev_ezra has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyogev_ezra has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyogev_ezra has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyogev_ezra has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyogev_ezra has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyogev_ezra has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyogev_ezra has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pico-ITX x86 board on Kickstarter? (VOTE and get PRIZE, closing TONIGHT 1/Feb)

*** THE PRIZE (i.e. the reason you actually came here) ***
I would like you to vote on a question I described below. To better motivate your vote, I decided to grant some prizes. Once the voting ends, I will select 5 people at random. Those 5 people will get one hardware part as a prize, from the below list, shipped to their home:
1) Mini-Box M350 fanless mini-itx case
2) Mini-box pico-PSU-120WI-25V (20 pin)
3) Mini-box Pico-PSU-150-XT
4) Commell MPX-3132 2x SATA II mini-PCIe card (add 2 more SATA ports to your mini-ITX NAS)
5) KingSpec 32GB CompactFlash card 600x speed
I have multiplies of some of the prizes, so if 2 or more winners want to get the same thing, I think I will be able to do so. The prizes are open internationally except the countries I can't ship to from Israel (you can still vote of course).

You need to vote in reply to this message (the reason I am doing it like this and not by poll is because I need to see who voted to include them in the raffle). You may also add any comment or question you like in your reply, but you will be included in the raffle only if you actually cast a vote. It doesn't matter what option you vote for, for a chance of a prize just say what you really think

Now to the point:
Inspired by recent crowd-funding successes with small form-factor DIY-boards based on ARM architecture, I started to think of doing the same, just for x86-compatible one. ARM is nice and all, but some people (like my parents) are "locked" on WindowsXP, even if it's just for surfing internet and watching movies. For modders, developers, robot builders etc., x86 is easier because you don't have to learn how to develop on ARM. I searched the internet, but couldn't find a single x86 project anywhere, yet there were plenty ARM projects, which really intrigued me as to why it happens.

So here are the options - please select one that most suits you, and post it below:
1. I see no need in DIY x86 board on Kickstarter, because DIY ARM boards (Raspberry Pi, PandaBoard, etc.) cover all the needs
2. I see no need in DIY x86 board on Kickstarter, because there are enough x86 boards offered from manufacturers that cover all the needs
3. I would consider to back up a DIY x86 board project on Kickstarter -- if you select this answer, you need to also order the importance of things to you:
a) Price - put this first if cheapest price of the board is most important to you
b) Size - put this first if smallest possible size (like Pico-ITX or similar) is most important to you
c) Performance - put this first if best CPU/GPU performance is most important to you

So, for example, if you select answer 3, you need also to write something like "c,a,b" which means - performance is most important to you, then price, and then size. I hope I explained it clearly

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 23-Jan-2013:
We got 50 votes so far - please keep them coming! The great news are, however, that even if no one else casts his vote, we have already reached the required minimum I posted (50 votes by February 1st). I have also included your price/performance/size preference (below I am showing how they were calculated). It's an amazing discovery for me that smallest size is your least concern, while best price/performance was (almost) tied for 1st place:

Number of times highest priority (3 points awarded)
A (Price) 22
B (Size) 6
C (Performance) 16

Number of times medium priority (2 points awarded)
A (Price) 11
B (Size) 11
C (Performance) 21

Number of times lowest priority (1 point awarded)
A (Price) 10
B (Size) 27
C (Performance) 6

Total points awarded:
A (Price) 98
C (Performance) 96
B (Size) 67
Current vote count graph (updated 23-Jan-2012 12:30GMT)

Last edited by yogev_ezra; 1st Feb 2013 at 18:06. Reason: Uploaded current vote count
yogev_ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 22:09   #2
fuus
Rocking All Year Christmas

fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.fuus is definitely a rep cheat.
1. I see no need in DIY x86 board on Kickstarter, because DIY ARM boards (Raspberry Pi, PandaBoard, etc.) cover all the needs
Old 10th Jan 2013, 22:10   #3
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
a,c,b
Uni Box:i5 2500K@5GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 240|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz(in blue)|EVGA GTX670SC 4GB+EK FC670|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Denon 5000|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 22:14   #4
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
1. I see no need in DIY x86 board on Kickstarter, because DIY ARM boards (Raspberry Pi, PandaBoard, etc.) cover all the needs.

But for what it is worth these are the important factors, in order, for me in this target market: A, B, C. Which the RasPi nails all 3 for my needs.
Old 10th Jan 2013, 22:23   #5
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
3)
C, B, A
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 22:46   #6
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
3. I would consider to back up a DIY x86 board project on Kickstarter -- if you select this answer, you need to also order the importance of things to you:

b) Size - put this first if smallest possible size (like Pico-ITX or similar) is most important to you

---

When we talk about HTPCs, then the smallest we can currently do is a mini ITX-system. Allthough these are quiet nice, they're still too big for what they do.

So a pico ITX with it's 100 × 72 mm would actually be awesome, and all that would be needed on the I/O is a HDMI-port and two USB-ports. Onboard it should have a single SATA-port, WiFi and SO-DIMM.
For even less hassles the CPU could be soldered to the board aswell, preferably a mobile-chip like the i3-3217UE. And don't forget about the onboard PSU.

With a board like this, which is just as big as a 2.5" SSD/HDD, you could carry your HTPC the size of a bigpack of cigarettes easily around, without making any sacrifices.

And no, don't give me all this Raspberry and Android-crap. I want a HTPC where I can run x86 Ubuntu or Windows 7 and install all the usual software without any hassles.

EDIT: The intel NUC is the smallest currently available, but has the downside of not having a SATA-port.

Stop using social networks and look up!

Last edited by jrs77; 10th Jan 2013 at 22:58.
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 23:20   #7
Arboreal
Multimodder

Arboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for president
3. I would consider to back up a DIY x86 board project on Kickstarter

c) Performance - put this first if best CPU/GPU performance is most important to you
a) Price - put this first if cheapest price of the board is most important to you

Although I love the Raspberry Pi concept, haven't found room for it in my world.

Like jrs77, I'm a great Mini ITX fan, and his comments are just how I feel - he's said it all better than I could.

Pico ITX with SATA For the Win!!

I'd be happy to have a go at a Kickstarter, the Cubieboard and Paralella have done well.
Yours done right could too.
Arboreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 23:38   #8
mansueto
Too broke to mod

mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.
3. I would consider to back up a DIY x86 board project on Kickstarter.

Importance: a, c, b

Though I personally don't see the need for the device personally, the points you've made are all very valid as to why they would be beneficial. Jrs77 also has a very specific example of how it would be applicable. If you could somehow create an x86 board that packs more performance in similar space as raspberry pi, and has a bit more expandability than I think you would have a real winner. Granted, in order to achieve what you want you need to also consider price.

Size wouldn't be a big issue for me, I'd assume it would be smallish and reasonably portable, but it all depends on the need. If you're developing a small system for a home user, than performance and cost would be more important than size so to speak, but maybe as a developer, performance and size would be more important so that the device can move around, in which case you would have to justify why it would be more beneficial than a laptop.

I think the idea is good, but you'd have to focus more on a niche market, I realize that one doesn't really exist for x86 but you have to choose which specific group to go after, because home users would want something different than someone who may be a developer or something.
Black Momba: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz | Corsair H80 | MSI P67A-G43 | 8GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws | 128GB Corsair M4, 1TB Barricuda | 2GB 6950 | Asus PA248 IPS + Acer P243w | Asus Xonar D1 + Fio E07K Andes | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Seasonic X760 | Fractal R3 | Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid | Cooler Master Inferno
Lenovo U410: i7 3517u | 8GB ram | 24GB + 750GB HDD | 14 inch ultrabook
mansueto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 08:10   #9
sparkyboy22
Web Tinkerer

sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sparkyboy22 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.

acb

Online RC Shop Search Engine
sparkyboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 08:44   #10
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.

ACB

Good luck!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 09:14   #11
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
A
C
B

AMD over Intel for APU 384 Madcores in that size would be amazing
Soldered CPU (>2GHz) with silent Cooler like from Arctic cooling (cheep and good)
USB3, HDMI, Display Port, SATA 3 (6GB) and mSATA (Wifi or mSATA SSD)
under 90 watts for Pico PSU

That's my wish list

PC Audio: AKG 271 mk II + Samson Go mic. + Asus Xonar D2X
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 09:35   #12
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.
3 a, c, b
Keyboards: Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds | White Filco TKL - Browns | Filco MiniLA - Browns | Poker w/Plate, Alu Case - Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears | Cherry G80-3000 - Browns | Cherry G80-3700 w/Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears | IBM Model M SSK - Bolt & Floss Modded | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S
GeorgeK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 10:35   #13
TheDodoKiller
Supermodder

TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.TheDodoKiller is definitely a rep cheat.
3, BAC.

I would definitely be backing it- I Would love to have something the size of a raspberry pi, with the performance of raspberry pi, at the cost of a raspberry pi, without the faff of ARM.

Good luck to you sir!
- AMD 1090T OC'd at 3.6 Ghz - Asus Crosshair IV Formula - Reference Asus 6950/70 - Silverstone FT02 B-W - Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB - Kingston HyperX 1600 Ram 4GB - Coolermaster V8 -
TheDodoKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:06   #14
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.
C
B
A

I would love to have something like this, where I can install what I want and it be small enough to carry around in my pocket rather than needing a laptop bag or something similar.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:15   #15
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
A
C
B

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:27   #16
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.
A
C
B
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:43   #17
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
1. I see no need in DIY x86 board on Kickstarter, because DIY ARM boards (Raspberry Pi, PandaBoard, etc.) cover all the needs.
Main: Silverstone FT03 | Asus P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz | CM 212+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon 7970 DD | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | CM Silent Pro Gold 600W | Samsung XL2270HD | KBT Race (brown switches) | Sidewinder X8 | Arch Linux + Windows 8.1
Server: Asus M3N78-AM | Athlon II X3 400e | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 4x 2TB Samsung F4EG (RAID-5) | LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 | Corsair CX400 | Arch Linux
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 14:41   #18
Psyance
Supermodder

Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.Psyance is definitely a rep cheat.
3. C,B,A
Psyance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 14:56   #19
Pliqu3011
Zero Hoots Given

Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.
3. A,C,B
Old 11th Jan 2013, 16:28   #20
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.
3 A B C
I would like to see something with low power quad core at least 1.8gHz, passive cooling, integrated power, soldered on 2GB ddr3 1333 memory, soldered on 4GB-16GB flash, mini pci-e/msata slot, pci-e 1x slot edge mounted (for expansion like 4x ethernet, serial/parallel, gpu, audio, etc.) 1 additional sodimm slot, 2x sata3, 2x usb2 header, audio header,
back panel 2x gigabit ethernet, 2x usb3, hdmi, 2x esatap.
a slightly larger size might be needed to accomplish that I guess, maybe like 100x100.
Something with these features would be good for a number of things, workstation/thin client, htpc, micro server, firewall/router box, industrial...
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crowd-funding, kickstarter, pico itx, pico-itx, sff