bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Jan 2013, 11:55   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
OWC teases 600MB/s Mercury Viper 3.5in SSD

Targets gamers and professionals alike.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ercury-viper/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 12:43   #2
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
god yes. they should have been making a selection of 3.5" ssd's since the start, hopefully this is the start of a new trend of 3.5" SSD's with extreme capacity and performance would love for these to hit mainstream!
Asus Z87 Sabretooth, i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz, Corsair H100, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 2 x Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 12:49   #3
Si_the-dude
Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
AT LONG LAST! A 2TB 3.5" SSD is the stuff dreams are made of
Delidded i7 4770k @ 4.7- Custom EK loop with 360mm and 240mm rads - Watercooled GTX Titan SLI - Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5 - Corsair Vengeance 16gb with EK block - Monsoon Fittings - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Dell U2713HM
Si_the-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 13:24   #4
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield has yet to learn the way of the DremelAnfield has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My bet is on it being two ssds in raid0.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 13:40   #5
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
While OWC has somewhat cheekily claimed that its 1,920GB SSD is a 2TB model
and still somewhat more than the 1862 you`ll get when you format a blank 2tb drive
Old 15th Jan 2013, 13:58   #6
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_the-dude
AT LONG LAST! A 2TB 3.5" SSD is the stuff dreams are made of
Sounds good but the price is going to be really high.

As for the 3.5" SSD vs 2.5" I think I will stick to my 2.5" as they are easier to mount if you don't have any hdd cages.
damien c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 14:02   #7
Corky42
I *am* a Dremel

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
By the time you take protocol and encoding overhead into account the maximum throughput for Sata 3 is about 570Mb/s, so im calling BS.
And seeing as some high end SSD are hitting 550Mb/s i don't see the point in this drive for an extra 20Mb/s.

Also there is no mention what the max IOPS is and AFAIK that's what really matters when using a drive for the OS.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 14:08   #8
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield has yet to learn the way of the DremelAnfield has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
At 2TB you wouldn't just use it for the OS any more though.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 14:31   #9
Si_the-dude
Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
At 2TB you wouldn't just use it for the OS any more though.
Bingo! This is what's really exciting about it for me. Long term it would be amazing to have a couple of 2TB SSDs in RAID0 just as the day to day norm - maybe with a mechanical drive for backup.
Delidded i7 4770k @ 4.7- Custom EK loop with 360mm and 240mm rads - Watercooled GTX Titan SLI - Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5 - Corsair Vengeance 16gb with EK block - Monsoon Fittings - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Dell U2713HM
Si_the-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 15:44   #10
Corky42
I *am* a Dremel

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
If you need more space than 512Gb for everyday use your doing something wrong
If your willing to spend thousands of pounds just to have a fast drive to store stuff on your mad.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 18:00   #11
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42
If you need more space than 512Gb for everyday use your doing something wrong
If your willing to spend thousands of pounds just to have a fast drive to store stuff on your mad.
you obviously don't have a steam library
Old 15th Jan 2013, 18:37   #12
Corky42
I *am* a Dremel

I do but are you really going play 20+ games all with in 5min, the time it takes to restore the game from your backups (that steam has built in)
As i said if you need more than 512Gb your doing something wrong.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 21:50   #13
TimB
Minimodder

TimB has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
I do but are you really going play 20+ games all with in 5min, the time it takes to restore the game from your backups (that steam has built in)
A backup is just a second copy of the game, it's the same size as having the game installed. So why not just have them installed to begin with.
TimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 21:59   #14
Anfield
Supermodder

Well, personally I use a small ssd for the os and a couple games, a hdd for the rest of the games / software and a nas for media, but frankly the moment large ssds become affordable i'll certainly put everything on a ssd.
Of course this specific ssd most likely won't be cheap, but it should push down older ones in price, plus when the next gen comes this one will drop as well and so on, large ssds in the hands of average consumers are not a question of if, but when.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 22:11   #15
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
So it's an optimised dual 2.5" Raid 0 enclosure? Okay, I get it.

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=121
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 22:17   #16
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
You mean if I'm using more than 512GB I'm doing something differently to you?
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 22:59   #17
Corky42
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
Quote:
You mean if I'm using more than 512GB I'm doing something differently to you?
No i mean you have more money than brains, you cant get around the fact that (HDD) mechanical disks are cheaper per GB than (SSD) electronic disks.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 23:46   #18
Shirty
Home of the Carnival Cougar

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
There's a hole in your argument there Corky. It's just an emotive, non factual statement which doesn't mean anything, and makes some fairly insulting assumptions about those who want or require a larger SSD.
Shirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 23:53   #19
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Ehh I have 2tb of work on my disks. And it's sound files that all have to be loaded together which is very demanding on the disk. So I currently have to store it all on mechanical disks and then move it to the SSD for compiling. It's a bit of a faff. If I could just have the whole lot on one disk that would be really great.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 00:44   #20
Corky42
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
There's a hole in your argument there Corky. It's just an emotive, non factual statement which doesn't mean anything, and makes some fairly insulting assumptions about those who want or require a larger SSD.
So you saying HDD are not cheaper per GB than SSD ?
Its a fact that you can now buy HDD as cheaply as 5p per GB, SSD are only now approaching the 1 per GB mark.
Its far from being a emotive, non factual statement which doesn't mean anything.

For your average home user it makes financial sense to only put what is used on a daily basis on a SSD and use a HDD for the rest.

Tags
1920gb, 240gb, 3.5in, mercury viper, nand flash, other world computing, owc, solid-state drive, solid-state storage, ssd