bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Jan 2013, 08:15   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
HMV in administration

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ministration/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 09:48   #2
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Balls. Where am I supposed to do my christmas shopping now!? Got a 15 voucher from swapping a blue ray set for a dvd set last weekend too, now all it's good for is a wallet sized ice scraper :-(

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 09:56   #3
Si_the-dude
Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Si_the-dude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
Balls. Where am I supposed to do my christmas shopping now!? Got a 15 voucher from swapping a blue ray set for a dvd set last weekend too, now all it's good for is a wallet sized ice scraper :-(
Sorry to hear that, it sucks massively that they aren't honoring vouchers
Delidded i7 4770k @ 4.7- Custom EK loop with 360mm and 240mm rads - Watercooled GTX Titan SLI - Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5 - Corsair Vengeance 16gb with EK block - Monsoon Fittings - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Dell U2713HM
Si_the-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 11:26   #4
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The voucher thing is the most annoying part about this I think, next to obviously people loosing there jobs.

Those vouchers would have been paid for previously so they have the money already from them, unyet they are not willing to allow you to spend a voucher which you have already paid for.

I bet the bosses of HMV still got there massive bonuses and pay riser though.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 11:27   #5
The_Crapman

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
i think i'm going to go in, take 15 pounds worth of good and give them the card. They can try calling the police, but they stole from me first! lol

Old 16th Jan 2013, 11:29   #6
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hands up who didn't see the digital distribution boom coming?
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 12:01   #7
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
They must have known this was on the cards, to take money for gift vouchers is dishonest at best. Problem is gift voucher holders are creditors and so take their place in the queue with all the other creditors and the less your owed the further back in the queue you are, given they owe millions, 15 is unlikely to see any return.
Old 16th Jan 2013, 12:38   #8
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
HMV will likely be brought out by the music studios who will do anything to stop amazon becoming the only importer of cds into the uk.

But half the jobs at least will go and id guess at least half of the shops as HMV is everywhere.

There 140mil + in debt so your 15 gift vouchers are not really going to be even in the list you will get pennys back for them most likely.

Anyone who has tech in the day to day lives knew that HMV was struggling in early December shares tumbled on news that they might not last the christmas. They were saved by a 40mil loan from the music industry then.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 13:24   #9
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Retail always loses on price. Only businesses that can add enough extra value earn their place on the high st. I do though take exception to charity shops not having to pay business rates so they get discounted rents.
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 13:41   #10
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman
i think i'm going to go in, take 15 pounds worth of good and give them the card. They can try calling the police, but they stole from me first! lol
Sadly the law won't be on your side, sucks I know... I'd probably try the same myself but wouldn't want to get nicked for shoplifting.
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 13:49   #11
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Waiting for the inevitable screams from the music industry of "it's piracy wot done it guvnor" or something similar.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 14:07   #12
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Somewhere between itunes, spotify, netflix and so on are some remaining scraps, not surprised its not enough to pay for a high profile retail presence. Plus in the UK there has in recent years also been a massive increase in 2nd hand trade of cds, dvds and games, while hmv joined in on the console games they never attempted to compete with shops selling ex rental and used music and dvds.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 14:34   #13
ArcAngeL
Multimodder

ArcAngeL has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They had a store in Australia, it fell through pretty quickly when the iPod boom came, surely they knew it would happen. They should of changed market strategy when they could, or at least close up when they could walk away with a revenue.
ArcAngeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 22:00   #14
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
Even though the majority of their stock was overpriced, this is a sad day. We need a prescence of this content on the high street, not just the bargain basement selection in the supermarket.

Having said that, I probably contributed to their downfall as I haven't bought much from them for years - too expensive compared to online.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 00:19   #15
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasked
Even though the majority of their stock was overpriced, this is a sad day. We need a prescence of this content on the high street, not just the bargain basement selection in the supermarket.

Having said that, I probably contributed to their downfall as I haven't bought much from them for years - too expensive compared to online.
I've gotten some bargains from HMV before though. I got a friend a pair of D2ks to replace his beats for 150 last summer.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 00:20   #16
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasked View Post

Why do we need them on the high street?
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 00:42   #17
dynamis_dk
Grr... Grumpy!!

dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.
Can't say I'll loose sleep - people loosing jobs is never a good thing but as a store (as mentioned above) it was never very competitive on price and the only reason I've purchased from them in the past is they had two CD's I was struggling to find in 'hardcopy' at the time. (My Ruin and Tori Amos fyi)

I haven't read the full article linked... Its its still open I might wonder to my local branch (searching for sale stuff). I venture into the town centre to little these days it must have been 6 months since I walked past it so I'd have never noticed if its shutdown.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 01:17   #18
CrazyJoe
Ultramodder

CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
Good idea, cause some hassle for the people behind the till who have done nothing wrong and will likely lose their jobs...

Last edited by CrazyJoe; 17th Jan 2013 at 01:41. Reason: Becuase I wanted to edit something.
CrazyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 01:41   #19
The_Crapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoe View Post
Good idea, cause some hassle for the people behind the till who have done nothing wrong and will likely lose their jobs...

Old 17th Jan 2013, 03:01   #20
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
@longweight, because we all know they are the last chain selling such stuff, without them it will be even more female clothing / mobile phone shops versus everything else and the high street as a whole looses even more of its former appeal due to the lack of diversity.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote