bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 30th Oct 2013, 23:45   #1
Mattskillz
What's a Dremel?

Mattskillz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project Redline Parvum S1.0

Time for a complete system upgrade. I haven't changed anything since I put together an aircooled sandybridge system 2 years ago in a Silverstone FT03 case. I haven't dabbled with watercooling for since about 5 years ago when I bought a swifttech kit for my Q6600. I'll still be using the D5 pump that came with this.

So its all pretty new to me and I want to incorporate quite a few modding things I've seen recently in order to create something eye catching, really quiet with plenty of overclocking potential.

Parvum cases have really caught my eye recently. I love the chunky finish of acrylic and the colour flexibility. Their S1.0 looks the business and is able to fit plenty of powerful water cooling kit into a really small space. I also like the idea of supporting an innovative independent British company. The Parvum boys are really helpful and can do bespoke mods.

In order to keep everything as quiet as possible I asked them to mod the case to fit a Lamptron CW611 watercooling fan controller. They positioned it on the side panel above the power supply. Should be just enough room behind it to hang the HDD.

Full intended Spec:

Intel I7 4770K (Haswell)
Asus ROG gene vi
Patriot Black Mamba 16GB 2133 RAM
MSI 760GTX
Samsung 840 pro 256GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HHD

Cooling
d5 Pump with clear acrylic alphacool top
Alphacool ST30 240mm rad
Alphacool XT45 240mm rad
EK blocks for CPU, mosfet, RAM and GPU
EK X3 150mm reservoir
Monsoon 11mmID/16mm OD compression fittings
11mmID/16mm OD Primochill pro LRT tubing
Skythe GT1850 fans 120mm
BeQuiet 80mm Fans
Lamptron CW611 fan controller

Right. Lets get started.

Update soon

Last edited by Mattskillz; 31st Oct 2013 at 13:05.
Mattskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2013, 14:13   #2
Mattskillz
What's a Dremel?

Test fitted the rads in position. You can see that even with a 30mm rad in the top space between it and the motherboard is going to be really tight.

My original plan was to have both sets of gt fans pushing air in through the rads with the 80mm fans acting as exhaust. In other builds I've seem with this case the top rad is used as an exhaust. I can see the logic with this as hot air rises but surely you would just be pushing warm air from the front rad out through the top rad. Surely it's better to be getting in fresh air over both rads then exhausting it out the back of the case? Anyone care to comment?

I checked the system worked and installed the operating system

I've had to wait a few weeks for EK to finally release their MOSFET block for the gene VI.

Then on with blocking up all the parts.

Oops! In my enthusiasm to get the heatspreader of my patriot memory I accidentally ripped off one of the chips. Damn. Definitely worth heating things up with a hair drier to make the glue a bit softer.

I'll have to use the corsair vengeance set from my current rig

760gtx block. It's a really nice compact card once you get the stock cooler off

That's it for now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 31st Oct 2013, 20:53   #3
hero1
Multimodder

hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
That really is one sweet case!
Old 31st Oct 2013, 21:24   #4
MattoDaLegare
What's a Dremel?

MattoDaLegare has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow! Nice project! Subbed!
MattoDaLegare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 11:37   #5
imersa
Parvum Princess

imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.
AH wow awesome work mate. Really high quality project log so far. Always nice to see good photography! Can't wait to see more.
imersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 11:47   #6
Boorach
Supermodder

Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.Boorach is definitely a rep cheat.
Hard luck with the RAM but cracking looking wee build so far.
Boorach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 21:23   #7
Mattskillz
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imersa View Post
AH wow awesome work mate. Really high quality project log so far. Always nice to see good photography! Can't wait to see more.
Thanks. all down to your awesome case really. To be honest some of the photography is a little ropey as it's from my iPhone. But most of the proper shots of the build coming from my fuji XE-1. God I love that camera.

Old 2nd Nov 2013, 22:48   #8
Noob?
Dremel?

Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.Noob? is definitely a rep cheat.
Another subscriber here!

Looking good all that kit, well thought out on the CW611 fitting.
Noob? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 14:16   #9
Mattskillz
What's a Dremel?

Right. Solid evening of blocking things up. Really pleased to get the gene vi MOSFET block. Had to get it direct from ek in Slovenia as they had only just released them.

Late night voiding my intel warranty.
One of the things I wanted to do with this build was mount the CPU naked. I.e. remove the heat-spreader. Im using a haswell chip and these bad boys run really hot like ivy bridge before them. The issue (for anyone who doesn't know) is that since ivy bridge intel has used Tim between the die and heatspreader instead of soldering the two as in sandy bridge and chips before. The problem is not the actual Tim but the gap between the two caused by the silicon gluey stuff holding the heat-spreader on. This causes a real thermal bottleneck which really needs to be resolved otherwise there's no point having all this great liquid cooling potential. I've seen lots about delidding ivy bridge chips replacing the Tim and replacing the heat-spreader and I was all set to have a go until I saw that ek make a mount to have their block sitting directly on the die. Even better.

Now off with that heatspreader. There are plenty tutorials around the internet and youtube videos plus a good article in a recent edition of Custom PC so I won't go into too much detail here. However, couple of tips. Definitely use razor blades rather than Stanley knife as they are much thinner and flexible. It makes it much easier to get between the pcb and heatspreader. Also work slowly to ease the blade through the silicon sealant. You don't want to hit the die with the blade!!

Once the lid was off I cleaned the leftover silicon off with the razor and cleaned the leftover Tim with IPA (iso-propyl alcohol not Greenking!)

The whole point for me about delidding is to get the lowest temps and be able to run my fans as slowly as possible. With this in mind I decided to use Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra as my TIM.Sounds quite scary at first as it's electrically conductive paste but as long as you insulate the little transistors to the side of the die it should be fine. I used liquid electrical tape bought from Amazon but I've read of people using nail varnish and superglue also. You really don't need much CLU as it spreads and spreads! I used about half a rice grain.

That's it for now
T

Old 26th Nov 2013, 08:24   #10
Mattskillz
What's a Dremel?

Sorry for such a delay in posting to this work log. Had to do some boring house moving stuff.

My plan was to install an ek xres 3 next to the front rad as I have seen this in other builds like L3p's one. However, using the mounting brackets this is too wide and the side panel of the case will not fit on.

I came across these primochill stealth mounts on Specialtech and really hope these will work so I don't have to find another res altogether!

Result the primochill mounts are thin enough. Mounting them to the front of the case I really didn't want any visible mounting screws. So I used some no more nails tape. Not really happy with this as it can be seen through the red acrylic front panel but not sure how else to do it. L3p obviously uses the hard tubing to support it getting around the problem.

On with test fitting all the tubing and I have pretty much got the routing as I would like it. Pretty clean. I've used primochill pro LRT 11mm ID/16mm OD together with monsoon matt black fittings

I had to switch the rads and fans round so the fans pulled air through the rads. This was because of space above the motherboard but actually from martins liquid lab investigation this set up seems to provide the best cooling so happy with that. Will cover the fans with fan grills from e22.

That's it for now

Old 26th Nov 2013, 09:33   #11
revned
What's a Dremel?

revned has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Such a nice case! Keep up the good work!
revned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2013, 19:36   #12
hero1
Multimodder

hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
awesome stuff. Sucks to see what happened to the RAM. I hope it all goes well from here.
hero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2013, 20:45   #13
imersa
Parvum Princess

imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.
Awesome work. Nice for me to see other people's loops in the 1.0! Great clean job. Never actually cooled the gene mobo so will have to give that a go next time!
imersa is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode