bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 12th Dec 2013, 20:53   #1
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
ZdMods | Project 720 | GPU Blocks installed! 12/07/2014

Hello again

Now that I've finished Project 180 I've started a new build which I'd like to share with you

The victim this time is a Dell XPS 720. An all aluminum case (3mm) and in my opinion one of the best looking cases ever. I've spend quite some time looking for a good undamaged one, and about half a year ago one was offered on a Dutch marketplace and after some emails and a drive to The Hague I picked up the case. The previous owner removed most of the hardware so it was just the case, perfect for my modding needs!

Some of the remaining hardware, the cpu heatsink and some ducting

It's a big case, Project 180 fits inside it, the radiator is a EK-XT360

Without plastic front

First thing I did was strip the case. Went quite fast because the case doesn't have an internal chassis, it's just the front and back panel that hold the whole case together. So it was a matter of drilling out some rivets to take apart the entire case

Because Dell made the case as a BTX the orientation of the I/O panel is upside down and has to be replaced. On the left the original backside and the front on the right

I've replaced the front and back by 3mm aluminum panels and attached those to the original brackets on the top and bottom

Up next, het openingmechanism on the sidepanels!

On the original case the left panel is fixed to the top and bottom and can't be opened. This is a problem because I want to be able to reach the backside of the mobotray, so it needs to be changed.
On the right panel there is a big metal bracket with the opening mechanism on it, this makes the panel click into the top and midplate of the case. Because I'm not going keep the midplate that part of the opening mechanism isn't needed and can be removed from the right panel and I can use it for the left panel. (On the picture this part is already removed)

The metalbracket was glued to the panel with some sort of ubertape, almost impossible to remove, but using a heatgun and a putty knive I got it removed

I've cut the bracket into 2 pieces, the lower one already has an alu strip that will be used as the handle to open the panel

That's it for now

Last edited by Meelobee; 12th Jul 2014 at 14:12.
Meelobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 21:36   #2
NJB Mods
What's a Dremel?

NJB Mods has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can't wait for the result!

Keep it up mate!
NJB Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 21:47   #3
Primum Agmen
Modder

Primum Agmen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'll admit I'd never heard of that case, but it looks great. Curious to see what you're going to do with it.
Primum Agmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 21:48   #4
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Cheers guys

On with the show!

The bracket was cut in two and I've glued back onto both sidepanels with epoxy

Glued an chairprofile (I suppose it's what you call it in English) to the bottom side of the left panel

The profile hooks on the original brackets on the bottom of the case

And now it looks like I'm back to where I started. The case looks stock again, except this one has sidepanels that both can be opened

Up next, the front of the case!

first I gutted the plastic front panel and removed all the unneeded parts

Then 8 pieces of U-profile (13x13mm od) where cut to size

The u-profiles were glued to a strip of alu with epoxy. There is a 6mm gap between each profile

Both ends of each profile filed to an angle, so the profiles fit perfectly in the front

And this is how the whole assembly looks in the front. 2 Smaller pieces of u-profile that fill the gaps will be added on both sides

To finish the front I got some 10x10mm plexi rod

The plexi fits perfectly in the u-profiles

The plexi will be frosted and have leds in the top and bottom, but how exactly is in the next update!

Thanks for watching!

Last edited by Meelobee; 21st Dec 2013 at 02:01.
Old 18th Dec 2013, 22:01   #5
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Awesome. There were absolutely TONNES of these cases around codies when i worked there and always thought they were a perfect blank canvas for some modding. Glad you've taken one up as i've loved pretty much everything else you've done. Looking forward to this progressing.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 22:51   #6
mansueto
Too broke to mod

mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.mansueto is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm liking where this going. I always loved the look of the older xps cases, so I'm excited to finally see one being modded!
Black Momba: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz | Corsair H80 | MSI P67A-G43 | 8GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws | 128GB Corsair M4, 1TB Barricuda | 2GB 6950 | Asus PA248 IPS + Acer P243w | Asus Xonar D1 + Fio E07K Andes | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Seasonic X760 | Fractal R3 | Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid | Cooler Master Inferno
Lenovo U410: i7 3517u | 8GB ram | 24GB + 750GB HDD | 14 inch ultrabook
mansueto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 23:55   #7
SiZZiGY
Nano Evolution in progress...

SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.SiZZiGY is definitely a rep cheat.
Love this case Very nice choice
SiZZiGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2013, 00:47   #8
hero1
Multimodder

hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hero1 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
hmmm..nice stuff! Subbed!
hero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2013, 01:03   #9
whyte
Multimodder

whyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwhyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
good lord.. always impressive. so happy youre starting another build now that 180 is finished
Old 21st Dec 2013, 11:31   #10
MeddlE
Supermodder

MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MeddlE is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Here we go again (in a good way).
MeddlE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2013, 13:25   #11
Ianovski
Rawr!

Ianovski has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Love your previous mods so let's follow this one too! Love the idea for the front, curious how it'll work out.
Ianovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2013, 16:09   #12
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice old case, I'm looking forward to seeing this progress subbed

Current Project : BITZA
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2013, 21:37   #13
Egami
Why is the dremel on fire?

Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks like everyone's again seen the case and knows what it is except for me lol. Well, couldn't have hoped for a better modder to take it and start baking! Totally subbed!
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 03:35   #14
GamerIDGoesHere
www.^.com

GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.GamerIDGoesHere is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
There's a lot of potential with that case . Got a colour scheme in mind?

Also subbed

- Dan
GamerIDGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 09:30   #15
Meelobee
Hypermodder

On with the show!

Continued on the front. Added 2 shorter pieces to the rest of the U-Profiles to complete the front. All profiles are filed to size (Which was a pain in the ass job, as the corners are round and at an angle.)

On the top the alu profiles fit align perfectly to the plastic front.

On the bottom there are some small gaps between the alu and plastic, but this won't be visible in the end. The plexi bars in the profiles are cut short, so there is room for the leds

Made a logo for the front of the case. The 2 small bars above and below the text will be the same color as the plastic edge they align with. Giving the front 2 'sections' again.

And I've cut the hole for the 3 radfans in the front (360 rad)

In the case without the front

And with front

Thanks for watching!

Old 3rd Jan 2014, 09:58   #16
Zsolt Guriga
Multimodder

Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zsolt Guriga is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Very clean work ,looking forward to see
Zsolt Guriga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 21:28   #17
B NEGATIVE
Pipebender

B NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Those XPS cases...the only valid reason to own a Dell.
Jesse had great results with Plastidip and that case
B NEGATIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2014, 12:21   #18
imersa
Parvum Princess

imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.imersa is definitely a rep cheat.
Lovely thus far.
imersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jan 2014, 13:21   #19
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
Awesome. There were absolutely TONNES of these cases around codies when i worked there and always thought they were a perfect blank canvas for some modding. Glad you've taken one up as i've loved pretty much everything else you've done. Looking forward to this progressing.
Agreed, i remember seeing then and liking the case and thinking it's a case with great potential, going to be watching this one, it's off to a great start.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2014, 03:37   #20
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
In as well.

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode