bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jan 2013, 10:11   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Microsoft replacing Xbox Live voice chat with Skype

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...oice-chat-wi/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 12:24   #2
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good all imo, Could be nice to call a mate on skype while he is in the middle of a game, rather than calling his phone and it going to voicemail because he cant hear it.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 13:07   #3
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
I was wondering when this would eventually happen. This also seems to point that the next Xbox may hopefully have a normal mic jack too? Considering I'm usually talking on Skype on my pc whilst playing Halo with people, this would be far more handy as I seemingly wouldn't have to juggle audio between my 360 and PC.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 14:32   #4
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I think this is a pretty decent idea, kind of a "why not" feature addition. But while I'm on that same page, why not include the MSN Messenger protocol in Skype? That way people who still use that can still be supported and only need 1 program rather than 2.
Old 18th Jan 2013, 16:15   #5
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
So you'll get Skype flooded with racist bigotry and content-free noise by default in the future then?

Nice.

HTPC: i3-3225 | H77-Pro4-M | 4Gb Ripjaws | GTX 660 |120 Gb Samsung 840 | Corsair CX400W | Silverstone GD-04
SlowMotionSuicide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 04:55   #6
jb0
Minimodder

jb0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
I think this is a pretty decent idea, kind of a "why not" feature addition. But while I'm on that same page, why not include the MSN Messenger protocol in Skype? That way people who still use that can still be supported and only need 1 program rather than 2.
Honestly, I'm more confused as to why MS doesn't offer any sort of account merging or dual account functionality. Skype's the new Messenger. I get that, I understand they don't want to keep the old servers up, but... if someone has an existing Skype account and an existing Messenger account, there's no easy way forward.
jb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 09:55   #7
ferret141
Ultramodder

ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.
You can merge msn into your skype account. I've done it. Want screenshots?

Quote:
Hello,

On 15th March 2013 we are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.

Update Now

Yours sincerely,
The Messenger Team

New to Skype?
Get the latest version of Skype.
Sign in to Skype with your Microsoft Account.

Already have Skype?
Update to the latest version of Skype.
Sign in with your Microsoft Account.
Merge your existing Skype account with your Microsoft Account.

Here are just a few of the great features that you can use with Skype:
Instant message, video call and call phones from your PC, Mac, Windows Phone, iPhone, iPad, Android mobile, Kindle Fire and other devices
Sharing your screen with friends and family
Video call and instant message with your Facebook friends
Group video call with up to ten friends at once*
And that's just the start - there's so much more to explore on Skype
Update Now

So, what's happening between now and 15th March?
Messenger will continue to work as you know it today. If you are signed in with Messenger on your desktop** you will see a banner notification to upgrade. When you click on the banner, an installer window will open with the request to upgrade. This will take you through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger.

So, what's happening after 15th March?
Messenger users on desktops** will not be able to sign in and will only be able to upgrade to Skype. If you attempt to sign in, a notification will appear, and if you continue, you will be taken through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger at the same time.

Can I update to Skype on my mobile?
Yes! Skype is available on iPhone, Android and soon on Windows Phone 8. We encourage you to download the latest Skype app on your mobile and then uninstall Messenger. You will be able to sign in to Skype on your iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 8 mobile apps with your Microsoft Account over the next few weeks. If you use another phone with Messenger on it, it will continue to work for a while.

Where can I learn more?
For more help on updating to Skype, please visit the Skype Support site.

* To get group video chat, you'll need a Skype Premium subscription.
** Newer versions of Messenger will be able to receive the optional upgrade notifications. Older versions will not receive the notifications and you will have to download Skype manually.
i5 2500K | Thermaltake Frio | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS P8P67 Pro | EVGA GTX680 2GB SC Signature 2 | Corsair AX1200 | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | 1.5TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 3TB WD Red | SONY-NEC BD-5300S BD-RE | Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution (RV02E-BW USB3.0) | ASUS VG278H 3Dv2 | Win7 Ult. 64bit | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champion Series | Speakers:Logitech G51 | Headset:Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro + ModMic 3.0 | Keyboard:Logitech G15 | Mouse:Logitech G9x
Plusnet | Loadout
ferret141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 17:53   #8
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yep ive merged my skype and msn accounts, I can still see people who use msn no problem, it was pretty easy to do also.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 18:15   #9
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Too bad I'm a linux user and don't have the update (yet). Surprisingly, there have been about 3 updates for linux since MS bought out Skype, so I'm sure they will release a fix for this. It will be nice to have MSN merged into 1 program.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote