bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jan 2013, 11:33   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel's Otellini talks profits, 14nm and Haswell

Earnings hit by slowing PC sales.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ntel-q4-2012/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 11:44   #2
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
M....$
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 13:12   #3
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Zion" being Xeon for the uninformed ?
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 13:15   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
"Zion" being Xeon for the uninformed ?
Hah! I'd blame my spellchecker, but that one's entirely my fault. Fixed, ta!
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 15:41   #5
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
I'm pinning my next big upgrade on Haswell to replace my i7 920 and X58 so I really hope the desktop chips are A: worth the wait despite a lack of competition for Intel in the high-end and B: On-time and concurrent with mobile parts, rather than being delayed in favour of pushing new parts for the tablet/ultrabook fad.

I was sorely tempted by Ivy Bridge because of the power-hungry nature of my i7 920 and the lack of SATA3/USB3 on my early X58; but I just couldn't justify it with Haswell around the corner.
Intel better deliver on more than just battery life!
Old 18th Jan 2013, 17:27   #6
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Intels shares have took a battering since these results were posted down 6% and still going at last check.

They have made less money this quater than they did last year in the same quater. And with a slowing pc market i dout results will improve for next quater so i guess the shareholders are correct for once.

Also intrested in Haswell to replace an i7950 gaming build but will want to see some actual performance benifits in the games i play to really make me intrested in an upgrade.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 19:43   #7
MrGumby
CPC 464 User

MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
From everything i keep reading regarding Haswel, power consumption appears to be the headline. With very little mention of performance increases. I remember thinking the low tdp of the ivybridge quads would make for some awesome overclocks, but heat density and heatspreader issues put paid to that.
Still be interesting to see how haswel turns out.
MrGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 09:35   #8
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Also intrested in Haswell to replace an i7950 gaming build but will want to see some actual performance benifits in the games i play to really make me intrested in an upgrade.
From what I've read so far, I doubt you'll see much difference in performance. You'll see it in power consumption, mostly. Will it be worth a $500 platform (motherboard and processor alone, naturally) upgrade? Depends on how much you care about power consumption, I suppose. The 950 is a 130W processor at just over 3GHz. It's not terribly unrealistic to think a comparable Haswell will be slightly faster, with a TDP around half that of the Nehalems. SB quads were 95W at 32nm, IB is 77W at 22nm, so I could see Haswell quads around 65W, easily.

In practical applications, I don't recall any SB or IB processors being much more than incremental upgrades over the previous generations of the Core i series. Native USB3 will there (as it should have been in IB, imo) and IB already has PCIe 3.0, iirc. Unless you have or want a quad-SLI system, though, even PCI 2.0 isn't nearly maxed out.

Assuming Steamroller is AM3+, I'm sticking with AMD for a while longer. Next full build I do, though, I'll take a long, hard look at Intel for the first time ever.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 12:23   #9
Jimbob
Modder

Jimbob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=Zurechial]I was sorely tempted by Ivy Bridge because of the power-hungry nature of my i7 920 and the lack of SATA3/USB3 on my early X58; QUOTE]

I was in the same boat but caved in and upgraded the other week. The 920 served me well running at 3.9GHz for years but the lack of S-ATA 3 was a pain and the lure of the 3770K was too much. Compared to the 920 the 3770k is amazing, overclocks higher, runs much cooler nice little upgrade but I certainly see you're point I'm sure when Haswell turns up I'll have wished I waited!
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2013, 15:02   #10
djzic
Bokehlicious!

djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm hanging on to a Q8300 waiting for Haswell, I realize the performance might not be that much greater but I would like to build a passive build if possible so TDP is important. If there is not a significant difference in TDP or performance I'll simply get IB for cheap while stock's cleared out

Cam: Canon 400D | 35mm f/2.8 | Helios 44-2
djzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 08:31   #11
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Very profitable plus stock buyback and still the stockprice is so low...
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 10:08   #12
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial
I'm pinning my next big upgrade on Haswell to replace my i7 920 and X58 so I really hope the desktop chips are A: worth the wait despite a lack of competition for Intel in the high-end and B: On-time and concurrent with mobile parts, rather than being delayed in favour of pushing new parts for the tablet/ultrabook fad.

I was sorely tempted by Ivy Bridge because of the power-hungry nature of my i7 920 and the lack of SATA3/USB3 on my early X58; but I just couldn't justify it with Haswell around the corner.
Intel better deliver on more than just battery life!
I'm also in the same boat, although I got into the 920 a bit late (was waiting on SB then gave up after the millionth delay) so I have SATA3.
I'm still not sure if its needed. The only thing that I feel really pushes my processor and makes me feel its too slow are emulators but the lower power consumption is very tempting.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
14nm, atom, cpu, financial, haswell, intel, paul otellini, processors, system on chip soc, tri-gate