bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Jan 2013, 10:08   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Fractal Design Core 3000 review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...-3000-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 12:49   #2
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
No Filters, No USB3.
Where'd this box come from, the 90's?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 13:29   #3
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Ha. There are dust filters for both the PSU and entire front section, as was mentioned and photographed :P but the lack of USB3 is a shame, yes.
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 13:30   #4
MrJim
What's a Dremel?

MrJim has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why do so many cases omit a cutout for the 8 pin power cable? It ruins the look of an otherwise neat cabling job. I agree about the lack of USB3 front connector support & filters...both should be standard on any modern case.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 13:33   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
I was looking at the Core 3000 for a proposed eight-core build - my desktop's in a Define Mini, and I have few complaints other than the lack of a hard drive activity light. If I do end up building another machine, the Core 3000 is certainly high on the list - it's a damn sight cheaper than the Define Mini, for a start...
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 15:34   #6
biojellywobbles
Multimodder

biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I had the same problem of very tight side panels in my Core 1000 seems that it's a problem with the design they use for both cases.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 15:51   #7
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by biojellywobbles View Post
I had the same problem of very tight side panels in my Core 1000 seems that it's a problem with the design they use for both cases.
You'd have to consider it's more about keeping costs down than a design flaw, the 1000 is 30, what do you want for 30? I'm not saying I wouldn't like them, the 1000 is a cracking little case and I'd happily pay a few quid more for some more space (read, any space and a cutout or two) behind the mobo tray.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 18:53   #8
velo
Minimodder

velo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So that's the Midgard II and Core 3000 reviewed in the space of less than a fortnight, just as I'm trying to put together a budget build! Good going, BT - now I've just got to decide whether the Core 3000's better cooling and lower price outweighs the Midgard II's USB 3 and better cable routing...
velo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 22:17   #9
monkiboi
Multimodder

monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Personally I find the Core 3000 the better looking case out of the two but the wiring issue is a little off putting. Does anyone think there would be any issues in taking a dremel to the motherboard tray?
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 00:23   #10
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't see why you couldn't mod the chassis to perform better- that's what we're all here for after all
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 09:00   #11
samuraiweasel
What's a Dremel?

samuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousamuraiweasel - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I got it 2 weeks ago and i'm happy, i'm still running a q6600 so no USB 3 isn't an issue, till i upgrade.
build quality is nice.
@MrJim, there is a cutout for the cpu power, but not all power supplies have a long enough cable...i'm guessing that's why they didn't route it round the back.
samuraiweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 18:47   #12
Invictus.
Hypermodder

Invictus. has yet to learn the way of the DremelInvictus. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got the Core 3000, baught it the stat of the month. Lack of USB3 on the top doesnt really bother me too much as I dont own any USB3 devices.

As for the Cutout it is a bit of a pain not to have a hole up the top but its been mentioned by sniperdude to run the cable through the CPU backplate hole and up over the top of the board of which could be a solution. However with the top fan in its default place there is not much room to work with regards to cabling.
Invictus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2013, 14:10   #13
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Just to reiterate what's been added to the article, the USB 3.0 version of the Core 3000 which is listed on Fractal's site will be launching in the coming months with a UK MSRP of 54.95. The review and score for the regular Core 3000 remains unchanged, however.
Old 28th Jan 2013, 09:32   #14
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
USB 3.0 version still isn't sold, is it?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 28th Jan 2013, 12:34   #15
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
USB 3.0 version still isn't sold, is it?
All we've been told is that it will be available in the UK in the coming months. No more specifics, sorry!
Old 29th Jan 2013, 09:51   #16
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Thanks,
also sorry, i've been reading so many case reviews, i got them mixed up, i thought the review was older
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire