bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Jan 2013, 08:11   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Make Your Own Raspberry Pi Case competition

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2013...-competition/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 08:31   #2
guvnar
Modder

guvnar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A layer of pastry for your Pi anyone?
guvnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 09:39   #3
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Great idea! Hopefully you'll get a few new people into modding!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 09:45   #4
faxiij
Multimodder

faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That sounds rather lovely, well thank you bit-tech! Even with my very limited means, I do think I will give this a try! I've been thinking for a while to get one anyway, as they're so cheap. Now I got a great motivation - build a case, maybe get lucky and win an Rpi - if not, I'll just buy one then anyway!

Think it will be extremely interesting to see what people come up with! It is the same base for everyone, I think this will challenge modders to get really creative, to stand apart! Here's to hoping there'll be many entries!!
faxiij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 09:58   #5
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Only EU and USA????

Nice-not.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 09:59   #6
jay2
Indonesian Modder

jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
-_-

Sad asian is sad..
jay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 10:08   #7
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2 View Post
-_-

Sad asian is sad..
And also sad African
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 10:37   #8
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarakon View Post
And also sad African
And also sad Western European.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 11:07   #9
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My boy, 5, is a whiz at lego - d'oh, it's been done...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 11:23   #10
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Gonna get my girlfriend to bake a raspberry pie for this. I kid you not.
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 12:09   #11
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Sorry about the shipping limitations - out of our control unfortunately!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 12:27   #12
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Sorry about the shipping limitations - out of our control unfortunately!
Well while I can feel the pain of anyone who is not qualified to win the Pi based on geographical location, as a United States citizen I can say thank you for finally stretching your shipping to us modders across the pond
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 13:38   #13
hoochy
Need moar cooling

hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Woop, recently bought a RPi and have been planning/playing with a case idea from some bits and bobs I have lying around. Think I might give it a go if time permits
Fractal Design R3 | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair H60 Liquid | MSI 4GB R290 Twin Frozr | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 500GB Seagate | 2 x 128GB Kingston v200 SSD | 2 x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair 650W | K60 w/ Reds | Razer Naga
hoochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 13:40   #14
SnowyOwl
Modder

SnowyOwl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Do you consider Canada is on the US continent?
SnowyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 14:02   #15
jcb121
Modder

jcb121 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The precise measurements are a bit useless as they don't provide the size of the board!

to what accuracy is the 85mmx56mm?
jcb121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 14:16   #16
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
To what accuracy is the 85mmx56mm?
From the Raspberry Pi review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
The underside of the board is pretty barren, with nothing much to see save for a collection of surface-mount resistors, capacitors and a couple of crystals. The sole exception is the SD card slot, which provides the Raspberry Pi with its only form of on-device storage. While basic, the connector serves its purpose - although if you're thinking of building a case, it's worth mentioning that the SD card sticks out around 17mm beyond the edge of the board.

This, plus a proud-sitting pair of USB ports and the RCA jack, gives the Pi an overall size of around 109mm x 63mm. With the 'official' size of the board - measured purely in terms of the area of the PCB - being 85.60mm x 53.98mm, that's a significant extra bit of space for box-builders to find.
As for accuracy, I measured a first-run Model B board with my callipers, so pretty accurate. One thing I didn't mention in the review here was the height, which is bang-on 17mm to its highest point (the top of the Ethernet port.)
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 14:34   #17
jcb121
Modder

ah ok, I'm finding the "precise Dimensions" very lacking. like the length of the RCA(?) jack and all the dimensions regarding the GPIO pins.

I may just have to buy one of these boards :L
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 14:37   #18
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
ah ok, I'm finding the "precise Dimensions" very lacking. like the length of the RCA(?) jack and all the dimensions regarding the GPIO pins.
Have you looked at the SketchUp model?
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 14:38   #19
jcb121
Modder

I'd thought about it but felt like it was cheating a bit!
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 16:38   #20
Mork
Multimodder

Mork has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb121
I'd thought about it but felt like it was cheating a bit!
In what way would it be cheating as the sketchup model is posted in the article?
Mork is offline   Reply With Quote